• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DIY Disc Golf Backpack

I sanded down the edges of the frame when I built it. This was to avoid it wearing through the bag. I have been using mine all summer and have not had any issues with it wearing through.

For the price I built it at (bag $39.99, PVC $10), its the best bang for the buck. The only issue i had was installing the frame into the bag. Basically have to piece it together inside of it. Also realized you can unzip the divider that divides the 2 sections in the bag which made the install a bit easier. Zipping the divider back up over the top of the frame is a bit difficult. I didn't glue the pieces together because when i mocked it all up in the bag with the intent to take it out and glue it up, it was such a pain in the a$$ that i just left it in there.

The only problem with the bag is if you have the bottom compartment packed with discs, it is hard to get he discs on the end out. But other then that I love it. Works perfect. Almost to much storage to know what to do with. The front pouch is great for keys, wallet, phone, pencils, and birdie bags. The side pockets I keep my lacrosse ball in and a small flashlight. The locking straps on the side are great for holding you stool and umbrella.

The one thing I am going to fix about the design is if you have a decent amount of weight in the top compartment it does make putting the discs back in a difficult if its pact. Im just going to get a thin piece of plexiglass and fasten it to the top the frame to get rid of that.

just got my bag for 29.99 on ebay nearly one of the last ones avail. now for the PVC so maybe $45 total for a new backpack bag. SWEEEEET.

just got my bag for 29.99 on ebay nearly one of the last ones avail. now for the PVC so maybe $45 total for a new backpack bag. SWEEEEET.

Nice man, i love mine. Its a little tough getting the frame in the bag but remember you can unzip the divider on the inside of the bag to go from the top of the bag. Just make sure you keep the zipperd flap up when putting the frame in so its easier to zip it over. You will see what i mean when you get the bag. Take some pics once you finish it!

This looks like a great idea. Does the back pack have an internal frame already built in, or is it like a regular back pack with pads? I realize you need to put in the pvc pipe. How heavy is this back when all said and done? How does it compare to a fade tourney bag or comp with quad straps? Do you put discs in the upper compartment, or only in bottom one? I really like this bag. great job.

This looks like a great idea. Does the back pack have an internal frame already built in, or is it like a regular back pack with pads? I realize you need to put in the pvc pipe. How heavy is this back when all said and done? How does it compare to a fade tourney bag or comp with quad straps? Do you put discs in the upper compartment, or only in bottom one? I really like this bag. great job.

The bag has an internal frame and has pads as well. I have not weighed mine empty yet. You can put discs in the top or just use it for extra storage.

Why did you use a different size pvc pipe for the 2 cross pieces. The rest of the pipe is 3/4 but those two are 1/2 right? Would it not work with all 1/2 inch?

Why did you use a different size pvc pipe for the 2 cross pieces. The rest of the pipe is 3/4 but those two are 1/2 right? Would it not work with all 1/2 inch?

I used all 1/2 inch pipes in mine. It worked just fine. I modified Steve's original plans to compensate for the difference in pipe thickness.

You can read about it (and see pictures!) further up in the thread.

Last edited:
I didn't glue the pieces together because when i mocked it all up in the bag with the intent to take it out and glue it up, it was such a pain in the a$$ that i just left it in there.

I did the same thing, but...

I just took mine apart and glued it together. It worked great for a month or so and then the discs started falling out. I discovered it was because the frame had come apart. The glue should solve that.

where do you find the 3/4, 3/4,1/2 3 way elbow. I found a 3 way 1/2. I only looked at Lowes. How does the bottom of the bag take to the liner? Does anyone have a picture of that. I have the bag on the way, is there anything anyone would do differently if you made it again... measurement changes for pipe or something like that. This looks like a great bag. Thanks for sharing

Do all the pockets still zip up once the bag is loaded and ready to play? Especially the bottom front one, does that still close when the discs are all inside the backpack?

Thanks, sounds great. I ordered my bag off of ebay yesterday, can't wait to make this bag. There are still no improvements to the bag that you would do now looking back? How about coating the bottom in plasti-dip, will this make it more durable?

Also, the total capacity and holding ability of items and discs ends up being very similar to the revolution bags correct?

Thanks!

Thanks, sounds great. I ordered my bag off of ebay yesterday, can't wait to make this bag. There are still no improvements to the bag that you would do now looking back? How about coating the bottom in plasti-dip, will this make it more durable?

Also, the total capacity and holding ability of items and discs ends up being very similar to the revolution bags correct?

Thanks!

I put a can of plasti-dip on the bottom and its holding up very well.

As far as capacity, the bottom compartment can hold anywhere from 14-17 discs depending on how wide and how many mids you carry, The top of the bag is sweet and can fit tons of stuff, if not more then the revo bag.

Bag looks nice, does it get heavy? Or does your back get sweaty in the summer carrying it around? How is the weight distribution?

Bag looks nice, does it get heavy? Or does your back get sweaty in the summer carrying it around? How is the weight distribution?

I have found that the more you can carry, the more you will carry. Therefore the bag does get heavy because of all the junk you take with you. There are cooling runners in the padding on the back so it deos not get sweaty. The weight is VERY comfortable on the back. The backpacks were designed for hiking and carrying loads. With all the adjustments on the shoulder straps you can get the load into the sweet spot easily.

I have found that the more you can carry, the more you will carry. Therefore the bag does get heavy because of all the junk you take with you. There are cooling runners in the padding on the back so it deos not get sweaty. The weight is VERY comfortable on the back. The backpacks were designed for hiking and carrying loads. With all the adjustments on the shoulder straps you can get the load into the sweet spot easily.

I agree completely! Im in love with the bag! The only thing i dislike about it is the big swiss gear logo on the front. I know, i know i should care but i will be putting a patch over it soon.

I agree completely! Im in love with the bag! The only thing i dislike about it is the big swiss gear logo on the front. I know, i know i should care but i will be putting a patch over it soon.

I fold the pocket halfway back inside itself with the logo on it. Makes a good putter pocket this way.

Latest posts