• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do I even need distance drivers in NC?

One other option and it depends on how many courses/rounds you are planning on playing......leave your distance drivers at home and if you decide you need one, buy one at a local disc store - used or new. Then you can always take it home, donate it, or sell it if the disc store takes used plastic (Play It Again Sports buys used discs - at least the ones around here).

Great advice, Bill.

In no particular order,

Hornets Nest
Plantation Ruins at Winget
Bradford Park
Reedy Creek
Kilborne
Blair Mill Park
Creekside
Cane Creek Park

We played Hornets Nest, Bradford, Reedy Creek & Kilborne. And that is actually the order in which I would rank them. They are all good and worthwhile.

Since you mentioned tired knees I'll just say my son's favorite course from the whole trip (which also included Winthrop & Nevin & Renny & Torma Town) was Eager Beaver (the easy course next to Angry Beaver). After long days of throwing really long hard courses he was giddy with delight at playing a short easy course. Your wife might be similarly happy.

Re: distance drivers in Charlotte . . . I remember throwing my Leopard3's a lot. But there were still holes on every course you listed where a longer driver would be wanted on except maybe not Reedy Creek. But I remember that 18 at Bradford was open, there's a long open hole or two at Hornets Nest and Kilborne generally felt a lot more open than most courses we played in Charlotte so maybe some people would throw longer drivers out there too.

Hornets Nest is on my list but (as lame as this sounds) I will likely be playing the short layout to cater to my wife's game and her bad knees.

Looking at the short layout playing for even par would mean averaging about 156' per throw. I get that actually playing the course isn't as simple as the math would indicate, but it does give me an indicator of sort of what to expect on a course I haven't played.

b458a6b36a11e41c80f8cb00547a1e11.jpg

For anyone wondering how I arrived at that 156' shot average, if the course plays 6411 feet you will cover the entire distance in 41 throws (6411/41=156.3). 41 is 18 under par so if you cover all of the distance with your 41 shots then you should (theoretically) have very makeable putts for the remaining 18 shots to cover even par. Any throw you make beyond 156' just increases your chances of shooting under par. Every shot that comes up short of 156' makes shooting par more difficult. For fun, I might do a hole by hole breakdown because I think the flaw in my math will rear it's head on a couple of longer holes.

I think about stuff like that. I'll be real interested to hear if you made that work.

On that same track, track your steps/walking distance. iPhone does it automatically I assume android can/does as well.

On that same track, track your steps/walking distance. iPhone does it automatically I assume android can/does as well.

My wife and I do that all of the time. Most of what she is comfortable with has us walking two to two and a half miles. Although, she has done three round tournaments where each day was 3.5 to 4 miles. I guess it just depends on the day and/or how much elevation she has to deal with.

Just got back from the Charlotte area. If you're Rt. hand back hand dominate, bring every understable disc you have. I could have easily topped out at 9 speed, though I did use my Echostar Turn some with good results. The only time I used something not truly understable was getting out of trouble with a forced forehand.

Just got back from the Charlotte area. If you're Rt. hand back hand dominate, bring every understable disc you have. I could have easily topped out at 9 speed, though I did use my Echostar Turn some with good results. The only time I used something not truly understable was getting out of trouble with a forced forehand.

I play at 5000+' of elevation almost exclusively. 3/4 of my bag is probably going to be flippy when I hit Charlotte. Lol.