• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you like gimmicks?

Which do you prefer?

• Raised baskets and artificial OB/ropes

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • Standard height and natural rough

Votes: 79 82.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because golfers taking off their shoes and socks hitting their ball out of a hazard in their expensive pants hiked up above their knees always seemed sensible to me...:|

Throwing in the water and throwing over a boundary fence should be treated differently. Throw over a boundary fence, you should have to replay from your lie. In the water, from the last point it crossed land. And no closer to the hole!

Obviously we need to rewrite the rules. How the sport ever got this far without old ball golfers to make the baskets, design the courses, write the rules, etc. the world will never know. Thank God they are here now to save the sport.

Don't worry about it, it's really nothing. Only takes a few minutes a day of sensible thinking.

There should be no internal OB, ever. OB should only exist where a boundary exists between land owned by the course/city/park/ whatever, and land not owned.

This is correct. Everything should be marked hazard where you have an option to play it from where it lies or drop with penalty where it last crossed the hazard line.

Best solution. <3

picture.php

A hush falls over the gallery as Paul McBeth sizes up the tiny basket to take the win.

Last edited:
I've never aced, but one of the local courses doubles as a foot golf course with a hole pretty close to the disc golf basket. I've thrown my tee shot into the foot golf hole 3 times.

If we go to baskets in the ground, can I retroactively count those as aces?

Only if they were rollers...

People that don't like raised baskets/OB 🤝 People that don't like their skills tested.

Would be solved if putting was legitimate though. Like a smaller standard size basket. Artificial OB is too silly for me. It many times isn't equitable to the result of the throw. Player A lands 1 inch long into the artificial OB area 10 feet from basket, player B lands 200 feet short into same OB area (island green in this scenario). Both move to drop zone for a putt. It's really not logical to have one player throw nearly a perfect shot and another a terrible one and end up with the same result.

Skill is NOT rewarded because of OB and the OB rewarded the guy with the terrible throw.

I don't like the amount of nonsense that results from it. Them you have rules questions that arise from it as well. Which even the TD's don't know the answer (like for Paul McBeth at Maple Hill).

The game should be fair and challenging. Not chaotic and nonsensical.

Would be solved if putting was legitimate though. Like a smaller standard size basket. Artificial OB is too silly for me. It many times isn't equitable to the result of the throw. Player A lands 1 inch long into the artificial OB area 10 feet from basket, player B lands 200 feet short into same OB area (island green in this scenario). Both move to drop zone for a putt. It's really not logical to have one player throw nearly a perfect shot and another a terrible one and end up with the same result.

Skill is NOT rewarded because of OB and the OB rewarded the guy with the terrible throw.

I don't like the amount of nonsense that results from it. Them you have rules questions that arise from it as well. Which even the TD's don't know the answer (like for Paul McBeth at Maple Hill).

This like most analyses of the 'artificial OB' situation is too simplistic.
I say the more the player can see it and 'knows' where it is, the more fair it is.
This is more fair for a couple of reasons:
1. Psychological effect on players attempting a result.
2. Nothing hidden or intentionally 'trick' about such an OB.
Situations that involve a forced carry with 'artificial' OB may or may not be 'fair'; as is the case with forced carries involving 'natural' features.
Nitpicking extreme examples of specific lies to condemn the entire practice outright eliminates the vast majority of likely results AND 'rub of the green' situations which are a normal part of the game.
Political controversies resulting from unusual situations are also a normal part of disc golf and most games in general. For example in DDC, when a double is called, it is normal practice for experienced players to ALWAYS contradict the call. A discussion regarding the legitimacy of the double ensues. Politics are normal in sport, especially a self-refereed one. Politics would best be viewed as another test of one's mental fortitude, sportsmanship and rules knowledge.

There are also unusual situations where artificial OB should be accepted with no question. An example: Laurel Springs had such an area, right in the middle of the property (hole #3 if memory serves). The OB was designed to protect precious fir seedlings from excessive damage. I'm sure there are other private property owners with disc golf courses who have such natural resources they wish to protect from play - at a minimum of time & expense for themselves. In this case, common courtesy alone dictates one's acceptance.

Granted the implementation of such 'artificial' OB areas leaves a lot to be desired, with respect to my previous statements, aesthetics and visibility for certain, but considering the average resources available to implement and experiment with such an idea, my vote is 'FOR'.

I think I can safely assume your opinions on the 2 meter rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts