• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you pivot on your heel or on the ball of your foot?

I know when I pivot on my heel because I'm about 100 ft further than when I pivot on my toes. When I pivot on my toe it just feels like I don't get the same follow through or with the same fluidity as when I do on my heel.
I have got to learn then. time to break out the comet!

I more naturally pivot on my heel as I focus on my snap and follow through. And it gives me more kick at the snap.

I have a question about rotating on your heel. I was out throwing in a field and was having difficulty making myself rotate on my heel. I think playing baseball for so long is making me want to stay on the ball of my foot. Is there anything I can do besides throwing a lot to help rotating on my heel

I have a question about rotating on your heel. I was out throwing in a field and was having difficulty making myself rotate on my heel. I think playing baseball for so long is making me want to stay on the ball of my foot. Is there anything I can do besides throwing a lot to help rotating on my heel

I played baseball for about 15yrs, and I didn't have to do anything to pivot on my heel in DG so I can't help ya there. Even in a baseball swing the pivot is on the heel of the front foot.

Welcome to the site :thmbup:

i pivot on the ball of my foot just like the majority of disc golfers i have seen out on the course. it's an unconscious movement for me to do.

for the last year i have been consciously trying to pivot on my heel. it's extremely difficult for me to do and i lose what little aim i possess.

i currently top out at 345' in a flat field/no wind. i know that if i spent 2 months working hard, pivoting on my heel, doing the blake videos, tightening up my form, i could probably move up over the 400'+ mark. but that would take time and dedication that i am far too lazy to put in.

notice i said 'lazy', not 'busy'. yes, i am busy, but being busy is no excuse. that's the reason fat people use about not working out & eating right. i know this because i'm one of those as well.

images

now where's my bigmac?

I just finally switched to heel pivot after a few epic fails. I found out that if I control how my foot hits the tee pad the heel pivot comes naturally. I try to have my foot land mid sole on only the very left hand edge of my right foot. Landing mid sole means that in order to ball pivot I would need to actually push my body up on to the toe, while it is much more natural to lean back onto the heel.

I grew up playing Basketball so I always used the balls of my feet. I've tried throwing with the heel, but it just doesn't feel right.

Pivoting on the ball of your foot causes you to do what the pros call rounding. You cannot keep the disc on the desired line and your throws will be very inconsistent. This also leads to less power because the snap you are getting is not from a straight line, but from a rounded one. The heel pivot allows your hips to open up and keep the disc close to the body. Take the time to learn the heel pivot and your game can only improve.

The same thing with me only skateboarding. Landing on your heels is death.

This is a common misconception. You shouldn't land on your heels. You should land on the ball of your foot but then your foot gets flat and then you pivot on the heel. It's no where near as awkward as you're thinking.