• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you play under these conditions?

ZBoazMobster

Double Eagle Member
Untitled-2.jpg

Heat index values at or above 105. Some low-lying areas of courses will get index values of 115.

Sure...Why not. Dress correctly...take it slow...have liquid available...and maybe get a big hat.
DavidSDGshirt2-271x364.jpg

17-water_bottle.jpg

415tbFW2STL._SX385_.jpg

I probably wouldn't play in the middle of the day. Before 10am or after 3pm would be a little more tolerable. In MD we don't get air temps that high but the humidity always raises the heat index. The worst we usually have to deal with is low 100s heat index.

edit: second the vote for the big hat. I have one and never leave home without it.

Last edited:
You could, or, just play early in the morning or late in the evening. The main things to remember are hydration, take frequent breaks, and hydration.

I would and I have and I will, but with a preference of avoiding very open courses until the sun relents.

I've played in 102-degree, 95%-humidity weather. NOBODY else there (wonder why). Not fun, but it was another notch in the belt.

Would I do it again? No. I'd wait until it got down to 95 :D

It's going to be low to mid 80s all week here, but the tradeoff is the bitter cold winters.

So that raises the question: extreme heat or extreme cold? I can't stand playing in the cold, I take the winter off. But I'll still hit the course on warm summer days. I think the hottest I've dealt with was about 95 in VA.

Yeah, if I have to. That being said, I've been throwing a lot of morning rounds as of late.

Yes, its been getting pretty steamy down here in SW Florida, with high temps in the low to mid nineties and 100% humidity. Slow down a little bit, drink lots of fluids, and ease into it. You kinda get used to it. The mosquitos are getting brutal though!

Yuuuuuuuup. I like playing in extreme conditions b/c the course is usually wide open. Just need to make sure to bring extra water for me and the dog.

Floyd also gets extra time to swim in the water on the hot days. :thmbup:

One thing I found is to not use your car's ac until after the round. That way, on the way to the course, your body slowly adapts to the hotter temps.

Yeah, in a lot of places you just play through it.....or quit playing for a while. (My northern friends tell me the same thing about the snow, though I have my doubts).

A lot of advice is to play mornings but, honestly, I'm more miserable in the super-humid 80s of midsummer mornings here than in the high-90s of late afternoon, when the moisture seems to have boiled off. I don't quite know how that works.

Which reminds me that my visit to Brandywine---AKA Brandywind---came on a day with the heat index near 100 and not a breeze to be found. Very little shade, either. So instead of battling the famous, and perhaps refreshing, winds, I was sweating out 64 ounces of gatorade.

I won't play my local courses in that. Like most people I'd go early or late when the sun isn't beating down on you. I can handle dry heat and from my experience most of Texas is dry heat. Here it's not the sun rays, it's the god awful humidity.

That said, if I was on a road trip and planned to hit a course I'd play it in whatever. I played three Arkansas courses in 98 degree weather with 70% humidity. It wasn't the best conditions but I loved it.

I typically only play in tournaments. If there is an event going on in those weather conditions I will be out in the elements.

Thanks for posting my extended forecast. :)

With that being said, yes, I have been playing in the heat - although I try to finish up before the middle of the day, when it's the warmest.

yeah I typically play in any weather. Torrential rain, blazing heat, sub zero temperatures, whatever. Living in New England you have to be able to do your thing regardless of the weather or you'll be stuck hiding inside 10 months of the year.