• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you say your total score or your score in relation to par?

When someone asks how you played do you tell them your total score ("65") or your score in relation to par ("5 over")?

In my area (Upper Michigan) everybody gives their score in relation to par ("3 over", "2 under", etc.).

original question was asking after round completed.

i personally like to give total score when round is finished.

also i personally use base three method (treat every hole like a par 3 scoring wise) so it's easy to keep a tally and quickly compute per hole what my score is.

so it's a combination of the two methods.

after a hole when score keeper asks what i got i give total number to avoid confusion regardless of par.

if a hole is par 4 and i get a 4 on it then i know i did par it but still tally it as +1 on my mental score card to make things easy to tally.

of course if i salvaged a bogey (with a good putt or upshot) on a par 4 i know it's a good save but again it's a +2 on my par3 for everything scoring.

it's just so much easier for me to keep score mentally that way… i don't even really need udisc/app/written scorecard that way.

Latest posts