• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Doomsday Discs

Anywho, the Frag looks tempting. If they make one in more of a champ style plastic I might try one because the Tilt's rim is just a wee bit wide for thumbers.

I have both. The Tilt seemed to go a little further. The Frag when thrown BH wanted to turn into a roller so fast (but with the wrong rotation). The Tilt tried to fly...a little.

But they are both ridiculous!

I have both. The Tilt seemed to go a little further. The Frag when thrown BH wanted to turn into a roller so fast (but with the wrong rotation). The Tilt tried to fly...a little.

But they are both ridiculous!

Frag was alright, nice meathook flight. I got it to 300ft once!

Stego is better feeling to me and does about the same thing. Plus premium plastic is available.

Frag was alright, nice meathook flight. I got it to 300ft once!

Stego is better feeling to me and does about the same thing. Plus premium plastic is available.

The Stego is probably a bit more useful overall. The Frag, Tilt, Splice, etc. type of discs all seem a bit harder to work for a non-pro like me.

I picked a bunch of these discs up just to see what is up with them. For context I throw roughly 380-400 when I am practiced up but it's winter in Minnesota and I play about once a week at best now. I'm probably topping out at 360 with the bad footing etc. I'm not looking up what they say are the intended uses and I haven't thrown everything yet, this is just the ones I have a good feel for what they do.

Plague - Uranium plastic - In the hand the plastic feels stiff and the inside rim is pretty steep and sharp. I'd call it a pretty stable driver. It is pretty useful for someone like me and I'll probably keep it in the bag as that overstable fairway/driver replacement for a while. The inner rim made me think it wasn't going to be for me but it is actually comfortable to throw forehand or backhand.

Dystopia - Survival plastic - It is a slightly understable driver for someone of my distance and speed but I think it would be roller material for an actual power thrower. It is made for for someone in that 320-360 range as a driver. It feels comfortable in the hand. Not really deep. The plastic is stiff but with pretty good grip, but as I mentioned it's winter here. This is staying in the bag for a while just to see. It's really nice to throw honestly.

Cataclysm - Survival plastic - Even though I've thrown this driver several times I'm not sure what to say about it. It'll be good in a post apocalyptic world as a do it all, I'm worn out from lack of food, throw it because you have it disc. It has a not really deep inner rim with a constant dome with a pop top. It's hard to say what it's for because my throws have been everything from neutral to understable with it. I'm including this as a review because I'll probably forget to update it after I try it in the spring.

Blackout - Toxic Waste This is a an understable fairway driver that feels great in the hand and releases clean. The plastic is really nice as well and who doesn't like playing in toxic waste? I had just lost my beat up Gstar teebird and even though this is a little less stable than that I am keeping it as a replacement for it. Eventually it'll get given away to a newer player as a main driver. This is actually probably pretty fantastic for someone in that 300-330 foot driving range.

Despair - Survival plastic - I'm not sure what the intention was for this deep putter sized disc in a premium plastic but I had a pretty good time using it for upshots. I generally don't play with deeper discs and I probably won't bag this but if you are interested it throws well but doesn't handle much wind. I'd compare it to a wizard for feel with a little more dome. I had one of the most pure chain outs in history with it making it aptly named.

My take away from the initial discs is that they are targeted mainly to those people that are just past beginner but not ripping hard yet. All of the plastics felt great and I had no issues with flashing.

I hate bumping old threads but I thought it was worth mentioning that the Plague has definitely made the bag as an overstable driver. It, along with the Stork from Disctroyer, has made me rethink my rim preference. I used to avoid sharper outside rims especially with higher inner rims. Now I'm noticing that even though they don't feel as immediately comfortable I get a more consistent release with them. Ultimately it's a good mold.

I still have the Blackout in the bag and it's working as a Leopard slot type disc. It's pretty flippy but uphill tunnels that aren't too long as pretty much made for it. Of the two I have one is very flippy and the other is a bit more workable. I'd say the jury is still out over the long term on that one.

Doomsday has got some cool discs, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Frag and Landmine end up being what people know them for.
I bought a Landmine this weekend. Mainly because it was the stupidest disc at the "disc golf garage sale" part of a fundraiser event. And damn is it stupid. I love it. Its dumb as hell and I love it. I don't know if it'll ever go in my bag, but I'll definitely be chucking some single disc lunch rounds with it for the fun of it. I'll probably never check out another one of their discs, especially if they go the way of Quest, but this thing seems like it'll be great fun.

I bought a Landmine this weekend. Mainly because it was the stupidest disc at the "disc golf garage sale" part of a fundraiser event. And damn is it stupid. I love it. Its dumb as hell and I love it. I don't know if it'll ever go in my bag, but I'll definitely be chucking some single disc lunch rounds with it for the fun of it. I'll probably never check out another one of their discs, especially if they go the way of Quest, but this thing seems like it'll be great fun.
The land mine is so stupidly fun. I almost want to bag it but it don't know when I would use it that much. It's fun to do ace runs on a short course with though.

I just saw they added a variant of the Land Mine called Depth Charge.

The Depth Charge is an altered version of the original Land Mine, with a narrowed rim to keep it from being too heavy for its size in premium plastic. It has almost identical flight characteristics to the Land Mine, but with even more torque resistance. The Collapse plastic is very flexible and durable, making it useful for sticking where it lands in rugged conditions.

It could be fun to have a premium Land Mine!