• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Doubles Strategies

doubles

I enjoy playing doubles way more than individual because of the team aspect. You get to work with someone to make your shots. I feel a lot less tension that way and don't get as frustrated if I make a mistake. Then again if we both make a mistake on the same shot...you gotta deal with it.

I usually play with my brother and our routine is to have one man tee off on all odds, the other man on the evens. If we pick my drive, he approaches first. If we pick his 2nd shot, I putt first etc. We are similar skill level so we tend to both go for it all the time. We really only lay up if money is on the line (or lunch!).

I think that the most important aspect of a round of doubles is that it is a team game now. All of the other things that have been brought up are great. But DG is no longer an individual game with doubles (obviously). Chemistry is now very important. And like you guys have said about knowing your teammates, it always helps. I think you should also set up expectations before the round begins. and during the round, help out each other mentally. Tension IS the leading cause of bad play, and helping each other relax is one of the best ways to stop being tense. doubles is awesome.

Totally agree with you there!....I'm extremely fortunate that my partner is my best friend, and has an awesome sense of humor. We have a way of cheering each other up with humor if either of us gets into that "funk" where you have a string of bad shots, unlucky bounces, rolls, etc.. to try and get a laugh to relax, and get back to just having fun. Not only do we do that in doubles, but if we are against each other in tournaments, and we see that frustration build, we do that to calm the other guy down, and get back on track. We both want to win, but we want to do it when each is at their best!

I enjoy playing doubles way more than individual because of the team aspect. You get to work with someone to make your shots. I feel a lot less tension that way and don't get as frustrated if I make a mistake. Then again if we both make a mistake on the same shot...you gotta deal with it.

I usually play with my brother and our routine is to have one man tee off on all odds, the other man on the evens. If we pick my drive, he approaches first. If we pick his 2nd shot, I putt first etc. We are similar skill level so we tend to both go for it all the time. We really only lay up if money is on the line (or lunch!).

Partners being equal in skill...that is exactly how I like to do it. If a shot is on the green, I let the person putt out his own drive.

If a team has 1 shot that goes far, but is off the fairway, and one shot that is short, but in the middle of the fairway, I (we) look at the short shot and mark it with a stick. This way we both do not have to walk all the way to the longer shot, only to walk all the way back if we decide to take the shorter shot. Saves a lot of time.