• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Doubles Tournament Options

Usher

Birdie Member
We have our state doubles tournament coming up soon and the TD asked what other formats we would like to see other than best disc.

What has everyone else seen that worked well and people seemed to enjoy? There are going to be 3 rounds all at the same course and I'm assuming the same layout. Would a mixture of formats in one round work?

Thanks in advance for your input.

We had a doubles tourney, 2 rounds. The first round was worst shot, 2nd round was best shot. It worked just fine and was a nice change from the "normal" format.

9 holes best shot, 9 holes worst shot, you decide after your drive... That is one of my fav... I also like player 1 tees even holes, his partner on odd holes, alternate shot

The coolest format I've played was a form of alternate shot - but it only works a course with a lot of 2 shot holes (I'd say min. par 64).

Both players throw their tee shot. Then, each player plays from his opponets lie. Then, if the team has not holed out, they choose their 3rd shot of the two shots. If player A's disc is chosen, player B throws. If player B's disc is chosen, Player A Throws. From there, the hole is finished in true alternate shot fashion.

Here are the rules for some PDGA doubles formats:
http://www.pdga.com/rules/rules-for-doubles

Best Alternating Score (BAS) starts like the format MTL posted above called RAP created by Houck. But in BAS, partners continue alternate throwing from each other's lies on each hole until each sequence has holed out. The team gets the score that was lowest of the two sequences on the hole. IMO, it's one of the few true doubles formats because both partners are involved in every score except an ace.

Structured Alternating Shot is just like Alternate Shot except that one partner has to tee off on odd numbered holes and the other tees off on even numbered holes regardless who holes out on the previous hole.

Another version of Best Shot is when one partner's drive can't be used more than twice in a row.

Another is best score. Both players play out the hole like they're singles, but only record the best score.

Edit: Just noticed it's called "Best Disc" on the PDGA document Cheuck posted. Nevermind.

We held a tournament (mixed dubs) where you had to use 9 of each players drives... after both players teed off, the team would choose whose disc they wanted to use and then record that on the card. At the end of the round 9 of each players drives had to be used.

This was great because it forced teams to strategically think about which shot to use, while taking into consideration holes to come. Take too many of one person's drives early on and the other player would have the pressure of knowing they needed to drive well late.

Once one person had used 9 drives, they were not allowed to drive anymore.
DSCJNKY