• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drive hits the mando object.. second throw mando?

jeverett

Double Eagle Member
Ok, after watching a few videos I have a rules question about mandos. Here's the scenario:

There is a mando tree on the course.. you must pass the tree on the right side. You instead nail the tree with your drive, and your disc bounces back off the tree to the left at an angle of ~80 degrees. Your lie is short of the mando line itself, so you're not dealing with a missed mando penalty.. but your lie is now also ~20ft. to the left of the mando tree.. i.e. the line to the basket is ~80% degrees off from the line to the mando tree.

On your second throw, do you still have to make the mando? e.g. throw a little 20-footer straight right to put you back in line to go around the tree on the right side, or attempt some huge hyzer meathook to actually go forward a little while still going 20ft. straight right first. My assumption is yes.. but I keep seeing videos of players hitting the mando object, calling it safe, and then playing straight to the basket on throw 2. Is this correct?

You still need to pass through the plane of the mandatory. The object only defines the edge of the mandatory.

A different scenario is if you pass the mandatory, hit an object, roll past the mandie and off to the side. Per my understanding, at that point you have already satisfied the mandatory and do not need to pass back through.

Last edited:
You still need to pass through the plane of the mandatory. The object only defines the edge of the mandatory.

A different scenario is if you pass the mandatory, hit an object, roll past the mandie and off to the side. Per my understanding, at that point you have already satisfied the mandatory and do not need to pass back through.

Thank you.. that's what I thought. :) Good to know I didn't unnecessarily give myself a bogie in an event last summer. :)

Per my understanding, at that point you have already satisfied the mandatory and do not need to pass back through.

Here we go.

803.12 Mandatories

A. A mandatory restricts the path the disc may take to the target. A disc must pass to the correct side of the mandatory before the hole is completed. Once the disc has completely passed the mandatory line on the correct side (even if it subsequently re-crosses the line), the mandatory is to be ignored for the remainder of play on that hole.

Cant believe i saw this thread. Heres what happened with a friend yesterday. There is a mando tree that goes straight up 15 feet then splits into a v. My friend threw his drive right through the v. Is it good?

Cant believe i saw this thread. Heres what happened with a friend yesterday. There is a mando tree that goes straight up 15 feet then splits into a v. My friend threw his drive right through the v. Is it good?

Something like that really should be specified. And I think that a tree with a "v" shouldn't be used anyway unless there is absolute clarification.

Yesterday, we had a roller pass through the double mando, then roll back in front of it and off to the side. We did not have a rule book but we determined that a mando only needs to be passed ONCE per hole, but it must be passed.

We decided to liken it to TSA at the airport. Just because you leave the mando area does NOT mean you have to pass through it again :p It worked for us lol

Yesterday, we had a roller pass through the double mando, then roll back in front of it and off to the side. We did not have a rule book but we determined that a mando only needs to be passed ONCE per hole, but it must be passed.

We decided to liken it to TSA at the airport. Just because you leave the mando area does NOT mean you have to pass through it again :p It worked for us lol

Which hole at OG?

No good unless the V was the mando.

That's good. As soon as it passed the mando once you are good to go.

Last edited:
This is text from the newly revised but not yet published PDGA Rules Q&A:

2011.31 : Poorly defined mandatory
Question – Tree with a trunk that splits into two trunks several feet off the ground was marked as a mando to be passed on the right side. If a disc passes between the trunks is the mando made or missed?
Response – This is a poor object to use as a mando. However, barring clarification from the TD who has the final call, the expectation would be that a disc needs to pass all parts of the mando object farthest to the right at the height the disc is passing it to complete the mando. A disc passing between the trunks would not complete the mando unless specified as okay by the TD.
Applicable Rule - 803.12 Mandatories

If its a V-tree, is the mando marked on the whole trunk near the base or on a portion after the split? There's several different scenarios that can occur with something like this. I've seen this called in previous events, if the mando is marked near the base on the whole trunk then going through the V is missing the mando. I believe the ruling the TD made was that where it splits, you take the larger limb on the trunk as the continuing main portion that still marks the mando.

If its marked on the split, say in this fashion, \ \ /->/ where the right limb is the mando, going through the V is missing it. But if its marked like this \->\ / / and goes through the middle, it satisfies the mando.

The crux of the rule is if it's marked clearly, that's how you play it. If it's not marked clearly, you take the most conservative approach which is completely passing all parts of the tree trunk to the proper side completes the mando.

Thanks guys. We didnt think it was good. To describe the tree better, its not exactly a v tree but the first set of branches split the tree directly down the middle and then a bunch of branches from there. From the tee off it is a 15 ft ceiling of branches almost all the way to the basket and the mando tree's branches began right at 15 ft. So from tee off point of view it is just a straight standing tree. This shot my friend threw was bad and somehow missed all branches while flying through the v opening. This course has no signs and we only know of the mando because the creator told us.

This is text from the newly revised but not yet published PDGA Rules Q&A:

2011.31 : Poorly defined mandatory
Question – Tree with a trunk that splits into two trunks several feet off the ground was marked as a mando to be passed on the right side. If a disc passes between the trunks is the mando made or missed?
Response – This is a poor object to use as a mando. However, barring clarification from the TD who has the final call, the expectation would be that a disc needs to pass all parts of the mando object farthest to the right at the height the disc is passing it to complete the mando. A disc passing between the trunks would not complete the mando unless specified as okay by the TD.
Applicable Rule - 803.12 Mandatories

Emphasis on text, I agree would satisfy the mandatory. As I interpret the rule.