• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Making the mando and being behind it

The memorial had this situation--I think hole 10(? IRC) is a good example. I do think it could be an issue and the actual vertical line of the mando boundary should be clearly indicated.

Hammes hit the limb on the correct side of the mando and the disc went past the tree trunk about 10', so he "made" the mando, but did go inside one of the limbs of the tree.

I would guess they defined the edge of the mando as the outermost edge of the tree, so going between the limbs was fine..

Bill, any course insight?

I would guess they defined the edge of the mando as the outermost edge of the tree, so going between the limbs was fine..

Or the centerline of the trunk. Which is why I think tree mando's should have a vertical stripe of something to make it clear what the intent is.

I tried to watch in slo-mo, and I am not sure that Hammes actually made that mando.

There's a chance he made it through the blue section, if the TD declared that the restricted plane is the outer most edge of the tree (red)

Attachments

• hammes.jpg
    hammes.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 18
Or the centerline of the trunk. Which is why I think tree mando's should have a vertical stripe of something to make it clear what the intent is.

Eh, centerline from what part of the trunk?

The centerline of the base of the tree might work, but using the outer-most edge makes the most sense.

We did our best to make sure there wouldn't be any issues as to where the restricted space/area was. Each mando had a white line painted on the ground and the line went from the mando object to the nearest OB area. The center of the mando object defined the 'edge of the mando'. It was possible in some cases to hit branches or one part of a split trunk and still not enter the restricted space.

The "did he or didn't he" part of Adam Hammes throw is why we (Tournament Officials) can't use photos/videos to make rulings. From one angle, he may have missed the mando, from another angle he may have made it. Since the question did not come to us (the Tournament Officials), the group must have had a clear view and a clear knowledge of what happened.

I think the newly released pictures help a ton with understanding these new rules. For whatever reason, the rule to me sounded like the mando made a vertical line to the tee pad, not to out of bounds or perpendicular to the tee pad. I am not sure why my mind thought of it that way, but I think many others had the same issues.

For a triple mando, the "miss" happens if the disc go past the mando on the right, left, or above the object. It felt like the new rule was trying to say there was a invisible hallway that if you crossed outside the boundaries of, you missed the mando. Again, not sure why I thought that.

I do like the idea that mandos can now be connected or run forward or back between two points. Not sure where that would be useful, but it could be fun to design around.

I'm glad those pictures helped. I don't think you are the only one that misunderstood them. As hard as we try to make them clear, it's not always easy to do.

I think the newly released pictures help a ton with understanding these new rules. For whatever reason, the rule to me sounded like the mando made a vertical line to the tee pad, not to out of bounds or perpendicular to the tee pad. I am not sure why my mind thought of it that way, but I think many others had the same issues.

For a triple mando, the "miss" happens if the disc go past the mando on the right, left, or above the object. It felt like the new rule was trying to say there was a invisible hallway that if you crossed outside the boundaries of, you missed the mando. Again, not sure why I thought that.

I do like the idea that mandos can now be connected or run forward or back between two points. Not sure where that would be useful, but it could be fun to design around.

You have always been able to connect mandos. At Watson Lake in Prescott, Arizona...they have a double mando that runs along an OB road. It keeps players from taking the 'shortcut' and throwing over the road to go straight to the basket; instead of taking the slight overland dogleg. It keeps cars and people in the adjacent park area safe.

Rules committee missed bigly on this one. The only requirement for a mando should be the disc flying through the plane of the mando in a certain direction. Anything else reeks of extreme overthinking.

I don't understand why they don't just adopt golf rules that have been refined for a long, long time. The game needs a lateral hazard rule very badly. The only thing they need to change with it, is if a disc is fully in the water then you can't throw it. Lack of such a rule caused huge issues at a tourney I was in this weekend.

Whatever happened to common sense?

I don't understand why they don't just adopt golf rules that have been refined for a long, long time. The game needs a lateral hazard rule very badly. The only thing they need to change with it, is if a disc is fully in the water then you can't throw it. Lack of such a rule caused huge issues at a tourney I was in this weekend.

I tend to agree on the lateral hazard. Please expound on the situation from the weekend.

Latest posts