• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving trip from Knoxville TN to Lincoln NE next month

autocrosscrx

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
It will be a busy trip on a fairly tight schedule, so at best I have time to stop and play one course on the way out and then another on the way back a few days later. It probably makes the most sense to play somewhere along I-70 between St. Louis and Kansas City, or maybe up I-29. ...but I'm open to suggestions anywhere along the trip.

Harmony Bends is the obvious first answer, but it might not make sense for me to stop there.

What are some other good recommendations?

Harmony Bends is a short drive off of I-70. If you only have time for 1 or 2 courses, this would be your best bet. It's totally worth it. I made the same pit stop between Chicago and Texas.

In Kansas City...Water Works was a great course when I was there, but that was abut 10 years ago. Rosedale Park gives you the option to play 18 or 36. I only played the Top course and enjoyed it, but it's not on the same level as Harmony Bends.

Closer to home for you...7 Oaks Park in Nashville is a great course, just played it for the 1st time last week.

I haven't played anything in Nebraska yet, so curious about course recommendations out there too. Hoping to take a road trip out there this summer. :thmbup:

Hummel and Seymour Smith are the big two out there. Heard people talk about Hummel, sounds much better than Seymour Smith which just your all around average city park course.

Waterworks in KC is 5min south of I-29. Probably ought to throw that one.

My primary course Bartlett is a couple extra mins off I-29 in Saint Joseph (1hour north of Waterworks). Fairly technical woods, tree gaps, low ceilings, with only two open(ish) holes. I have not played a bunch of courses, but it certainly holds interest.

Harmony Bends is a short drive off of I-70. If you only have time for 1 or 2 courses, this would be your best bet. It's totally worth it. I made the same pit stop between Chicago and Texas.

In Kansas City...Water Works was a great course.
Completely agree, and Water Works was still wonderful when I played it in 2017.

If the OP is looking for courses that really stand out (rather than just bagging as many as possible)...

Plan your trip around hitting Harmony Bends before it rains, and fit your other course around that. Best course I've ever played.

Floods terribly, so you don't want to play it a day or two after it rains, but courses like that are the reason I travel to play.

I can make the trip over 2 days, but I really need to be in Lincoln around lunch time the next day. If I can make it to Kansas City in a day, I'd have time to hit a course in the morning. I probably can't swing that with Harmony Bends, since it leaves me 300 something miles out of Lincoln. I might be able to hit it on the drive back. Leave Lincoln late afternoon, drive to Columbia, stay the night, play, and then drive the 600 or so miles home. Then get up for work at 4:30 AM the next day.

Hummel and Seymour Smith are the big two out there. Heard people talk about Hummel, sounds much better than Seymour Smith which just your all around average city park course.

I drive west to Kansas City, then go up I-29, then take NE-2 to Lincoln, so I won't be near Omaha.

I haven't played anything in Nebraska yet, so curious about course recommendations out there too. Hoping to take a road trip out there this summer. :thmbup:

Recently returned from road trip to Nebraska bagging few courses. Stopped in Kearney for Cottonmill and then on to Omaha. Seymour Smith was nice park course with some rolling hills. Treasure cove in Council Bluffs was a fun course on college campus. Eugene T Mahoney was another fun stop.

Hummel Park. Pretty amazing course with some drastic elevation changes. Jomez covered final9 local event if u want to see half the holes. *Dont watch other youtube videos night before u play there on how haunted Hummel Park is. Nope. Not helpful. Place is creepy AF. Glad i was with my brother, not sure i would play it solo. :gross:

Harmony Bends is a short drive off of I-70.

Depending on the time window, that may not work so well. Especially if wanting to play blues, a round could take 3 hours (unless only solo)

If the timing works out, this is my top suggestion. Easy to get to off the highway, and a pretty amazing experience, imo. I wish I was still local just so I could play it all the time!

How busy is Harmony Bends on a weeknight evening? How late is it playable? I know that there are some wooded courses around here where it starts getting hard to find discs about an hour before dark.

This didn't work out at all. Tornado warnings and heavy rain basically from Nashville to my destination.

And then I was so worn down from being outside in the cold and wind for 5 days in Lincoln, that I didn't even think about disc golf on the way back.

Maybe next time.

This didn't work out at all. Tornado warnings and heavy rain basically from Nashville to my destination.

And then I was so worn down from being outside in the cold and wind for 5 days in Lincoln, that I didn't even think about disc golf on the way back.

Maybe next time.

I'm from Omaha originally. Let me know when you head back out that way and I will give you some detailed recommendations.
Hummel in Omaha and Treasure Cove in Council Bluffs are both really good, as in good enough that I would call them both a "must play" if passing through on I-80.
Seymour Smith is better than your typical parks style course. And you don't have to deal with non-disc golfers due to the way it is laid out, which helps make it feel less park-like. Both of the Roper courses in Lincoln are also pretty good park courses.

I don't think I really appreciated the courses in the Omaha/Lincoln corridor until i moved out of state. Now I wish I had more courses like them in my area. Instead, I have one world-class course and a whole bunch of "meh" options. I do love playing The Fort, but variety would be nice. I guess that's kind of an interesting question, huh? Would you rather live somewhere that has 7 good courses, or somewhere that has one fantastic course plus six bad ones?

I'm from Omaha originally. Let me know when you head back out that way and I will give you some detailed recommendations.
Hummel in Omaha and Treasure Cove in Council Bluffs are both really good, as in good enough that I would call them both a "must play" if passing through on I-80.
Seymour Smith is better than your typical parks style course. And you don't have to deal with non-disc golfers due to the way it is laid out, which helps make it feel less park-like. Both of the Roper courses in Lincoln are also pretty good park courses.

I don't think I really appreciated the courses in the Omaha/Lincoln corridor until i moved out of state. Now I wish I had more courses like them in my area. Instead, I have one world-class course and a whole bunch of "meh" options. I do love playing The Fort, but variety would be nice. I guess that's kind of an interesting question, huh? Would you rather live somewhere that has 7 good courses, or somewhere that has one fantastic course plus six bad ones?

Funny you posted that. I'm in a hotel in Missouri driving home from spending the last 8 days in Lincoln. I had a couple of off days and played a few loops of Tierra Park and Roper. I'll put up reviews of Roper East and Tierra Park in the next few days. It is definitely a different vibe than east Tennessee disc golf.

. . . I'll put up reviews of Roper East and Tierra Park in the next few days. It is definitely a different vibe than east Tennessee disc golf.

Glad you were able to play some new courses. I think you should take a short road trip and play Panther Creek, Morristown Kiwanis, and Harmon Hills.

But that wasn't the question you asked. ;)

Glad you were able to play some new courses. I think you should take a short road trip and play Panther Creek, Morristown Kiwanis, and Harmon Hills.

But that wasn't the question you asked. ;)

Yeah. We got a ton of great courses within an hour or two. :)

I used to hate driving trips when I was younger. I was so focused on getting to the destination that I forgot how fascinating the journey could be. Recently, I have learned a few tips and tricks about road trips that make them way better. A great playlist is a must when you have a road trip. Without it, it all becomes more boring. The people you're with matter a lot as well, so choose carefully(an exception would be your family, you're stuck with them, lol). You should also decide which route you'll be going on since it can make a big difference. I suggest looking up some of the options on oebbfahrplan.com. That's what I usually do!

Doing this again in a few weeks. I have an extra travel day this time, so I should be able to hit Harmony Bends or Waterworks. Or somewhere else. If weather permits.

i will throw it out there that claytons sucks

waterworks is good for a park model course

i also thought 7 oaks in nashville and the big/small cane courses were pretty ok/good for park model courses

overall tho i would look elsewhere if you are tryin to do a dg trip especially if you are by knoxville

I'm driving to Lincoln whether I take my bag or not. :)

Latest posts