• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dustin Mouret, Gatekeeper Media thoughts.

Keller

* Ace Member *
Ok, I have to ask. What is going on with Gatekeeper media choosing Dustin Mouret as there commentator?

Do people actually enjoy listening to him?

Why would you choose such a polarizing person to be your spokesmen?

Is it just me and my age group?

What say you.

Who is Dustin Mouret? Why is he polarizing? I think the latest Gatekeeper stuff I have watched has Nick Hanson on mic. (Dellwood)

I guess I will try to find some Mouret stuff and give it a whirl?

Mouret is my least favorite commentator but I can't really say I 'hate' listening to him as I just don't take it that seriously. I think Nick Hanson just does the color, at least he was on the CCR coverage.

Mouret is my least favorite commentator but I can't really say I 'hate' listening to him as I just don't take it that seriously. I think Nick Hanson just does the color, at least he was on the CCR coverage.

He was "play by play" on the Clash videos with Jess Oleski on color.

Is he worse than Brian Earhart?

I just was listen to Kat Mertch on DGN......good god, she is awful. :gross:

Some commentators really make me the Jomez crew and Philo.

Is he worse than Brian Earhart?
attachment.php

Attachments

• a2dfd343d330826afbf1a4b7d772201f412080c4a9b95fd10b5e2bd11cda57fb.jpg
    a2dfd343d330826afbf1a4b7d772201f412080c4a9b95fd10b5e2bd11cda57fb.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
I think he has a background in gaming. Gatekeeper was maybe trying to reach a different demographic and wanted someone who didn't sound like a disc golfer. Like anyone who isn't a stan is going to be watching condensed chase card coverage of non-major tournaments. And then they paired him with Queen, the disciest disc golfer there is. Confounding strategy.

It doesn't help that it sounds like he has never actually set foot on any of these courses -- he's announcing from a virtual booth in an Undisclosed Location. Comparing this with Ian Anderson and Queen digging into the mid-america coverage reminds me how much fun it can be to hear true lovers of the sport making the calls.

Last edited:
Would anyone else beside the 3 people who watched that specific coverage even know who Dustin Mouret is? Threads like this only serve as publicity for these dudes. Which I guess is good. Any DG coverage is good coverage and any feedback can only make this guy better at his trade.

Would anyone else beside the 3 people who watched that specific coverage even know who Dustin Mouret is? Threads like this only serve as publicity for these dudes. Which I guess is good. Any DG coverage is good coverage and any feedback can only make this guy better at his trade.

Gatekeeper has been around for quiet awhile, and maybe you're right, it may just be down to three people watching this coverage. Their views are down, the amount of comments are down and the comments they do get are running 50/50 it seems.

They can't seem to figure out their commentary, they seem to prefer obnoxious and arrogant vs friendly and engaging. They went from Earhart the obnoxious know it all to the annoying know nothing Mouret.:wall:

And I disagree, any coverage is not good coverage. If people don't/won't watch it, what then is the point.

Not into esports at all so I have no idea how well known he is on that side of things. I agree with what others have said here, I personally don't care for his voice and he comes across as using fake inflection to try to be more dramatic. It just doesn't work for me.

I'd imagine it's more difficult than you'd think for somebody like Gatekeeper to find people to do commentary. I can't imagine the pay is great, and you're committing to late hours during an event in which you're playing. Then whoever you're getting actually needs to be decent and not absolutely terrible.

I could see how they might come to a decision and track down somebody with commentary experience and pair them with somebody with all the actual dg knowledge. You'd have something unique compared to other companies…I just don't think they chose the right person. It's funny reading the comments on the YouTube video posted above because they're all pretty much saying get rid of this clown. And equally funny, Dustin replying to some of the comments.

Why the hate for Earhart? What's wrong with being informed?

Never met him and really know nothing about the guy.

Based on nothing more than what I've seen/heard of him on YouTube in his instructional clips and/or tournament coverage, I'd say Eahart's a classic example of, "It's not what you say, but how you say it."

Something about the combination of his timing, delivery and voice I don't care for. We all have our awkward moments. He just seems to have more than most other folks.

Sometimes different's good. Sometimes it's not.

He didn't bother me too much in the first couple of tournaments he covered for Gatekeeper, but for whatever reason, he was absolutely horrible in the booth for the recent CCR coverage. Constantly talking over the other commentator, inserting unnecessary personal opinions about the course or competitors, and not deferring to (and sometimes contradicting) his commentating partner who clearly has more knowledge about the course/game/competitors than he does. That doesn't even touch on the cringey bashing he was doing on Nick's performance in the first round which I'm sure was well intentioned but came off very tone-deaf. The dude needs to learn how to read a room.

I really liked the duo of Brian Earhart and Nate Perkins. Earhart wasn't the best commentator but at least he sought out feedback to improve his craft.

I basically don't know anything about how Gatekeeper runs or how they keep the balance sheet positive, so all I have is rank speculation and a tiny bit of data

Gatekeeper is in the not necessarily enviable spot where they have chase card coverage for MPO elite series events. They produce produce some non DGPT A tier coverage. If you look at their views on YouTube they top out at around 35K for chase card, with more typical views being in the 15K range, and lots of other content that has more like 1K views. They have a Patreon that has 110 patrons and produces ~$550 per month and get an unknown amount of revenue from sponsored (non YouTube) ads. At least by the picture on their website, they have a production crew that consists of as many as 5 people. They have something coming from merchandise sales, but likely no too much. This doesn't look like an overwhelmingly robust financial picture.

Compare this to Jomez that has ~3200 patrons that produce at least somewhere between $15K and $60K each month in subscription revenue each month, and whose youtube card coverage videos get somewhere between upwards of 200K views, and whose other content usually gets ~100K views. Their content also seems to generates robust merchandise sales. Assuredly they are spending a lot more for broadcast rights now than the zero they were paying in the past, but they are actually generating the kind of money that allows them to sign a contract for $500K in rights over two years.

GKPro also has a Patreaon that generates ~$550 per month, but they have a direct subscription through their website for both Skins and FPO coverage. YouTube videos look like they are mostly in the 20K to 30K range for cards and 40K to 60K for skins. In addition, I'm assuming they are paid by DGPT to produce the silver series content.

One has to wonder how much Gatekeeper can pay their commentators and why they have Dustin Mouret at all. He has a recent PDGA number, playing his first tournament in 2021. It wouldn't surprise me if they're is some personal connection between Gatekeeper and Dustin. That our he has become a big fan of disc golf or sees opportunity of growth in the field. Why else is he willing to follow doing commentary on these videos? It is not likely for the small amount of money.

At least one reddit comment indicates that he is also doing this from offsite. Especially when he was doing solo commentating earlier in the year, I can see this actually simplifying the process of getting commentary done. No need to get non tech savvy DGers mic'ed up in "studio". This could also be the reason for some issues with having a broadcast partner. If they aren't in the same location, coordinating commentary doesn't work as smoothly.

As for Earhart, he is simply no longer available, as he is signed up to do work with DGN.

Last edited:
I think Gatekeeper would be ok just getting swallowed up by DGN and becoming part of their production team. Same goes for GK Pro, especially if they kept the skins matches separate with whatever affiliation exists with Eagles Crossing.

Pay them both and put their post production on the DGPT YouTube page or paywall it or whatever model they decide to go with.

No doubt Jomez is the elephant in the room. Their YouTube/Patreon actually has monetary value. I'm sure DGN wants those views for themselves but finding something that's fair for both parties might be tricky once the current deal expires.

Latest posts