• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DX Banshee is the best cycling mold of all time

azplaya25

Double Eagle Member
Thought this would be an interesting discussion. There are lots of threads about what discs are good to cycle, but I wanted to offer up what I believe to be the best. The DX Banshee
I'd rank the DX Banshee slightly ahead of a DX Roc, which may not be a popular opinion, but hear me out.

What makes a good cycling mold? In my opinion, it is a mold that can cover multiple slots in your bag in various stages of wear.

I don't think there is a mold out there that can cover more slots than a DX banshee, including a Roc.

Take a look at this excellent post by SlowPlastic in the different slots he's looking to cover with his fairway drivers:

For example these are the fairway slots I want in my bag:
-moderately understable (hyzer flip for woods, mild turnover on flat shots)
-straight-stable (flat shots that go straight with barely any fade, anhyzers that hold the line)
-stable (flat shots that will not drift right, holds sweep hyzers, will fade a bit for consistency and range)
-stable/overstable (more OS, will never leak right, will fade at the end, possibly faster so range is same as "straight-stable" but with fade)
-very OS "Firebird" slot (power staight to fade, hyzers, flex shots, skip shots, trick shots)

I have a banshee that I've taken from new to super thrashed, and it has has covered every one of these slots. The "middle" three is where it excels the most. Some players might not find a fresh dx Banshee is beefy enough for that OS slot, especially if they are used to firebirds. That said, the range from stable-overstable thru straight stable, I don't think there is a better fairway driver. It powers down enough to cover your OS mid slot, and a beat banshee will glide dead straight for days. It's like a slightly shorter teebird with less OAT sensitivity.

Last fun fact about the DX banshee. A thrashed DX banshee is the best forehand roller disc I've ever thrown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading this I would agree if your title read, "DX Banshee is the best cycling mold of all time for me".

So many different throwing styles which makes the biggest difference for which discs works for any particular player.

The hard part though is keeping one in your butter zones at all time. One hard tree hit and your stable flyer could now your hyzer flip disc.

I keep several seasoned, flippy discs in the bag but depending on full mold cycles make me nervous just because they're always in a state of change.

I'm just here for the Banshee love:) Won't argue about Rocks.

The hard part though is keeping one in your butter zones at all time. One hard tree hit and your stable flyer could now your hyzer flip disc.

I keep several seasoned, flippy discs in the bag but depending on full mold cycles make me nervous just because they're always in a state of change.

I've heard people say this, and I've drilled first available with my Banshee more times than I care to admit, but I've never seen this drastic of a flight change from one tree hit. I guess YMMV based on your power...I'm getting Banshees out to 320ish, and even my most beat one isn't hyzer fliptastic or anything. Def dead straight with a slight right turn, but not to the point where I'm nervous to throw them. Now I've got some beat dx eagles that are super flippy, which is why I think they pair so well with Banshees

I've heard people say this, and I've drilled first available with my Banshee more times than I care to admit, but I've never seen this drastic of a flight change from one tree hit. I guess YMMV based on your power...I'm getting Banshees out to 320ish, and even my most beat one isn't hyzer fliptastic or anything. Def dead straight with a slight right turn, but not to the point where I'm nervous to throw them. Now I've got some beat dx eagles that are super flippy, which is why I think they pair so well with Banshees

I don't mean that 100% literally. I have had discs become flippy mid-round on me before though, and it was very frustrating. I definitely don't have a big arm, but cycles just seem like a lot to maintain personally.

That said, the banshee is a great opportunity as OP has described, just not my cup of tea to chase wear levels with DX.

The rim on the banshee is thick/blunt enough that it should wear slowly. I have a DX in the bag that has taken some punishment and is still fairly overstable.

I tend to agree with the OP that the banshee has the potential to be one of the best cycling molds. As much as I love Roc's in stages of wear, they don't start out overstable enough for a cycle to cover the full range of stabilities.

After reading this I would agree if your title read, "DX Banshee is the best cycling mold of all time for me".

So many different throwing styles which makes the biggest difference for which discs works for any particular player.

I guess it depends on how you define "best cycling disc". Imo, it's a disc that can cover the most slots in the bag across various stages of wear, and it's slots in the bag that every player needs. While I agree that there are different throwing styles, I think that pretty much everyone needs something between their putters and distance drivers, right? Some people go Roc - control/distance driver. Some people go putter - fairway and use mids sparingly. The thing with a banshee is it's slow enough to power down and cover that mid slot, and the beat ones are sneaky long and can definitely get out there further than any mid, and as far as most fairway drivers. Lastly, you don't have to "bookend" with a banshee. DX Banshees off the shelf are plenty stable and fight wind as good as any disc I've thrown.

I thought the Roc was a good wind disc one time. I was so wrong the bogey laughed at me.

Really? I've thrown into some stiff headwinds out here in Texas, and I've never had a fresh DX Roc flip on me unless I got the nose up

Agreed, didn't you get those Banshees like 3 weeks ago?

Picked up a Banshee when I got back into disc golf back in March...added a few more to the bag as that original one has beat in straight. Not based on years of experience, so those of you with years of experience...what mold do you think should be at the top ?

Ima let you finish, but the DX Roc is the best cycling disc of all time.

I have 5 DX rocs, three that I'm actively throwing, two waiting in the wings. The Roc is my favorite mold to throw, but still think the Banshee is better at covering the entire OS-US range with one disc in one plastic.

Couldn't tell you what the best cycling mold is. I bag several discs of a few molds but don't consider myself a cycler per se. I have a pretty good idea of what works for me though.

I have 5 DX rocs, three that I'm actively throwing, two waiting in the wings. The Roc is my favorite mold to throw, but still think the Banshee is better at covering the entire OS-US range with one disc in one plastic.

I recently got a Star Eagle X that weighs 147. It goes straight then fades hard. Starts out as a Leopard and ends up like a Firebird. I decided to use that in place of my OS Roc and the biggest problem is the rim. It skips much further than the Roc will. So back to OS Roc. :)

I cycled a DX Banshee once, years ago. After the initial break-in period the Banshee stayed in the glidey-overstable sweet spot for a decent amount of time. But eventually the Banshee turned into a short, glideless Teebird. :|

I recently got a Star Eagle X that weighs 147. It goes straight then fades hard. Starts out as a Leopard and ends up like a Firebird. I decided to use that in place of my OS Roc and the biggest problem is the rim. It skips much further than the Roc will. So back to OS Roc. :)

Don't tell me you broke your Special Blend?

exactly

i think why throw an old dx banshee when i could have its hotter younger sister the dx teebird

Latest posts