• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Dx vs. Mcpro Roc3

pjhayes7

Double Eagle Member
So I would like to add some Roc3's that I can cycle a little into my bag. Obviously there are quite a few of the Dx pumpkin out right now that are between $8 and $10 at reasonable places. The Mcpros can't really be found for less than $17 each and that is from the factory store. So would it be better to get two Dx and alternate them or just one Mcpro to start out?
How do these fly compared to each other out of the box? Do the Mcpros have considerably more durability? I ultimately want a Roc3 that can be throw on hyzer that flips up and slowly drifts right from RHBH. Is the Dx going to become uncontrollable too fast?

The DXs will beat in quicker. The McPros season up fairly quick but once they're broken in some they seem to hold steady for a while. I think if your going to cycle Rocs, the KC Pro Roc is (IMO) the best one to go with. That said, DX is a great choice, you'll just cycle them quicker than the KC

The DXs will beat in quicker. The McPros season up fairly quick but once they're broken in some they seem to hold steady for a while. I think if your going to cycle Rocs, the KC Pro Roc is (IMO) the best one to go with. That said, DX is a great choice, you'll just cycle them quicker than the KC

Thanks for the info. I don't really have any interest in the Ranchos. I love the Champ roc3, but want something with the same feel that can fill the understable slots. So I should not have said cycle but instead just want one or two discs that fill the neutral to understable slot that are Roc3s. There are plenty of places to discuss Ranchos; lets try to keep this thread to just the Roc3.

Thanks for the info. I don't really have any interest in the Ranchos. I love the Champ roc3, but want something with the same feel that can fill the understable slots. So I should not have said cycle but instead just want one or two discs that fill the neutral to understable slot that are Roc3s. There are plenty of places to discuss Ranchos; lets try to keep this thread to just the Roc3.

If you want to stay in the Roc family, I dont think you'll be disappointed in the DX or the McPro. I personally would choose the McPro.
If you dont need to stick with rocks then Id suggest picking up a Mako3

So I would like to add some Roc3's that I can cycle a little into my bag. Obviously there are quite a few of the Dx pumpkin out right now that are between $8 and $10 at reasonable places. The Mcpros can't really be found for less than $17 each and that is from the factory store. So would it be better to get two Dx and alternate them or just one Mcpro to start out?
How do these fly compared to each other out of the box? Do the Mcpros have considerably more durability? I ultimately want a Roc3 that can be throw on hyzer that flips up and slowly drifts right from RHBH. Is the Dx going to become uncontrollable too fast?

I have not used a DX Roc3 (or Roc or VRoc for that matter). I have two McPro Roc3s.

The McPro Roc3 seasons in fairly quickly. Mine became straighter and straighter in its flight as time and use went on, and the fade became a bit less pronounced. I love the stiffness of the McPro material, as well. The McPro material is a bit more durable than DX, but not by a whole lot. It beats up, scuffs up, and IMHO generally will last one year of play (2 to 3 times a week).

As to flight, fresh McPro Roc3s fly pretty much like Star or Champ Roc3s, but (again) beat in fairly quickly. I would expect that fresh DX Roc3s would be the same as McPro, provided it's fresh out of the box and generally the same PLF and mold characteristics.

Although I like the McPro Roc3s, I probably will not buy anymore, and will bag the Champ and Star Roc3s that I've accumulated, replacing them only if and when they get lost or badly damaged...

There are plenty of places to discuss Ranchos; lets try to keep this thread to just the Roc3.

Staying within this, either a DX or McPro Roc/Roc3 will season in to straightness, then perhaps to understability... but they have this way of NOT staying in the "sweet spot" you want for all that long.

So you get that Roc3 seasoned to right where you want, it's understable and flying perfectly... and then it vanishes, claimed by the Gods of Disc Golf... and you have to spend all that time seasoning in another disc.

My point and suggestion is that for *understability*, you can get Roc3s there, and the McPro Roc3 is going to be good (McBeth is all over it, using trusty beat in McPro Roc3s for stable/understable shots)... but you truly may want to consider other molds that are more understable to begin with. Mako3, Cobra, etc. are good ideas.

JMHO, YMMV.

I just picked up couple Pumpkin DX Roc3s and they are just as stable as a fresh McPro. To me they seem slightly flatter with a grittier/grippier feel. Can't speak about the durability as I've only done field work with them.

I just picked up couple Pumpkin DX Roc3s and they are just as stable as a fresh McPro. To me they seem slightly flatter with a grittier/grippier feel. Can't speak about the durability as I've only done field work with them.

Its Moors!

Staying within this, either a DX or McPro Roc/Roc3 will season in to straightness, then perhaps to understability... but they have this way of NOT staying in the "sweet spot" you want for all that long.

So you get that Roc3 seasoned to right where you want, it's understable and flying perfectly... and then it vanishes, claimed by the Gods of Disc Golf... and you have to spend all that time seasoning in another disc.

My point and suggestion is that for *understability*, you can get Roc3s there, and the McPro Roc3 is going to be good (McBeth is all over it, using trusty beat in McPro Roc3s for stable/understable shots)... but you truly may want to consider other molds that are more understable to begin with. Mako3, Cobra, etc. are good ideas.

JMHO, YMMV.

yeah this is why i throw an m4..mako3s are good too.
my 400g m4s are so durable, the flight has hardly changed over the course of a year or two. Consistent understable flight.

yeah this is why i throw an m4..mako3s are good too.
my 400g m4s are so durable, the flight has hardly changed over the course of a year or two. Consistent understable flight.

My Champion Mako3 is slowly but surely coming nicely into mild understability, and I suspect (and expect) it'll stay in that sweet spot for a long, long time...

Mcpros are $13.99 @ the factory store so if you're paying $17 per you are getting ripped off. Also, when I order from the factory store I usually wait and order what I need or want in bulk so it is free shipping. Add the fact there is no tax to it and they are not much more expensive than DX discs bought locally.

I personally like my McPro Roc3's they beat in great to nice stable to slightly understable discs and in my experience hold the stability for a long time. I still use a Mako3 as my go to understable disc though but a mcpro can not be beat for straight shots.

As a long time KC man, I switched to the McPro's and haven't looked back. I love the KC's but it was getting more and more difficult for me to find them in the weights and colors I wanted. I've not thrown the DX McPro so can't comment there. It took three or four months for me to break in the McPro's into the straight flying Rocs I love. I also carry a champ roc3 but typically only throw it on very wooded or rocky courses. As mentioned above, $13.99 at factory store is not a bad deal. You should buy 4 McPro Roc's, 1 glow gator, and a Sexton FB. I know this is a Roc discussion but both the glow gator and sexton fb should be in your bag too :). Free shipping on $75 or more I think @ Innova Factory Store.

I have a wiped-stamp DX from the factory store and a bunch of McPro's. I honestly have trouble telling the difference between the 2 blends of plastic when I'm going through my box-'o-Roc's.

I'd say if you can find some of those pumpkin DX's locally for cheap you'll have a fine example of what a McPro is like.

Worth noting... I've been working a McPro Roc3 since the day they were released. It is - bar none - one of the straightest flying discs I've every had the pleasure of throwing. 2 aces on it already and it is only now starting to get a little of that right-hand finish that a sweet, sweet, beat-in Roc has.

As a long time KC man, I switched to the McPro's and haven't looked back. I love the KC's but it was getting more and more difficult for me to find them in the weights and colors I wanted. I've not thrown the DX McPro so can't comment there. It took three or four months for me to break in the McPro's into the straight flying Rocs I love. I also carry a champ roc3 but typically only throw it on very wooded or rocky courses. As mentioned above, $13.99 at factory store is not a bad deal. You should buy 4 McPro Roc's, 1 glow gator, and a Sexton FB. I know this is a Roc discussion but both the glow gator and sexton fb should be in your bag too :). Free shipping on $75 or more I think @ Innova Factory Store.

^I was the exact opposite. the McPro Roc3's have disappeared from stock in the past so there were a good 3-4months where they were out of stock. From there you had to go the dreaded aftermarket route (more expensive) to find McPro Roc3's.

So I decided to go all rancho rocs (KC Pro and champion*) for my mids. I can throw KC pro rocs further and like that they are more overstable (compared to McPro roc3's).

You can always find KC pro rocs. Places like Marshalls Street, Hyzerfarm, Community, DiscGolfCenter, ect will have the harder to find Blue and Red KC pro's throughout the year and always have yellow and white all the time in inventory.

as to Pro plastic vs DX plastic roc3's... I actually liked the DX better because they were so consistent. the Pro plastic McPro roc3's were weird... some were straight out of the box, some were beefy champ roc3 overstable, some were understable. It was hard to cycle them when your brand new one was less stable than the beat in very overstable McPro roc3.

*I'll admit champion rancho rocs are usually a lot more expensive (because they are USDGC rocs).

^I was the exact opposite. the McPro Roc3's have disappeared from stock in the past so there were a good 3-4months where they were out of stock. From there you had to go the dreaded aftermarket route (more expensive) to find McPro Roc3's.

So I decided to go all rancho rocs (KC Pro and champion*) for my mids. I can throw KC pro rocs further and like that they are more overstable (compared to McPro roc3's).

You can always find KC pro rocs. Places like Marshalls Street, Hyzerfarm, Community, DiscGolfCenter, ect will have the harder to find Blue and Red KC pro's throughout the year and always have yellow and white all the time in inventory.

as to Pro plastic vs DX plastic roc3's... I actually liked the DX better because they were so consistent. the Pro plastic McPro roc3's were weird... some were straight out of the box, some were beefy champ roc3 overstable, some were understable. It was hard to cycle them when your brand new one was less stable than the beat in very overstable McPro roc3.

*I'll admit champion rancho rocs are usually a lot more expensive (because they are USDGC rocs).

I have had a similar experience looking for Roc3's but split the difference and went DX/KC Pro Roc's and Champ/* Roc3's. I have a DX Roc3 I am going to take out and compare to the DX/KC Roc and see how it goes but still looking around for a McPro thrower without going through the store and paying shipping or having to get up to $75(until X-Mas at least).

I have had a similar experience looking for Roc3's but split the difference and went DX/KC Pro Roc's and Champ/* Roc3's. I have a DX Roc3 I am going to take out and compare to the DX/KC Roc and see how it goes but still looking around for a McPro thrower without going through the store and paying shipping or having to get up to $75(until X-Mas at least).

Yeah, I have tried kcpros, but rarely used them enough to beat the stability out of them. My champ roc3s cover my stable with small fade and stable with no fade shots, so I really never used the kc. I would like a roc3 that started out about like my less stable champ and could get lots of throws and become that understable mid naturally.

Mcpros are $13.99 @ the factory store so if you're paying $17 per you are getting ripped off. Also, when I order from the factory store I usually wait and order what I need or want in bulk so it is free shipping. Add the fact there is no tax to it and they are not much more expensive than DX discs bought locally.

I am not buying $75 worth of discs at one time ever, much less to get free shipping. So if I bought two mcpros and got the $6 flat rate shipping, that comes out to $17 per disc. I only wish Innova would make mcpros production and I wouldn't have to deal with this problem.

Last edited:
I throw a variety of rocs and roc3's, love both for different shots. I think the DX roc 3 has the most glide of any of them when it gets the slightest bit of wear, but that lasts for maybe a month or two at most, then they turn into rollers. If you get a Mcpro, it will last at least a year in that spot, and in my bag still usable even when extremely beaten because they make a great finesse disc in my opinion.

And if I were you I would bite the bullet and get enough stuff for free shipping. Score some clothes, discs, maybe get friends to order together with you. I like getting multiples of a disc so if I like it I have consistent backups. And if I don't like it, discs like the mcpro only go up in value so you can easily make your money back if needed.

Got a Star Roc3 in pink for Throw Pink month. Star plastic is a bit soft, but the disc is throwing really nicely for me. Parked one throw from about 170 ft. out in swirly winds today. So I'll probably go to the (relatively soft) Star Roc3 (orange) with the pink one as a backup/practice disc in the winter months, then return to the McPro Roc3s next Spring when temps warm up again.

Yeah, I have tried kcpros, but rarely used them enough to beat the stability out of them. My champ roc3s cover my stable with small fade and stable with no fade shots, so I really never used the kc. I would like a roc3 that started out about like my less stable champ and could get lots of throws and become that understable mid naturally.

I am not buying $75 worth of discs at one time ever, much less to get free shipping. So if I bought two mcpros and got the $6 flat rate shipping, that comes out to $17 per disc. I only wish Innova would make mcpros production and I wouldn't have to deal with this problem.

I second this! Would love to go McPro but I don't want to spend the money for shipping or buy $75 in discs right now.

Latest posts