• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dye designs

BK272

I'm wondering where everyone gets their designs for the discs they dye. I've been dyeing discs here and there for a couple years now. Bought myself a plotter and love that thing! I search the Internet all the time for cool dye ideas. Sometimes I find something cool, sometimes I don't. My photoshop skills are non existent. Lol. Do you draw the designs and then scan it to your computer? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. TIA

I do everything by hand.

Most of my dyes are characters from TV shows. I just watch the DVD on my PC and screenshot whatever frame I want, then print it off. But it's always real grainy, so I then trace over the printed image with a black pen, and then retrace that again onto a clean sheet of paper to use as the stencil. Then hand cut the vinyl.

I can't help you with computery-plotter-vector stuff.

http://www.autotracer.org/
This is a great resource.
I use a silhouette and vectors are the easiest source material to trace.
I will use roggenb3's technique if I am going to use a character from a tv show or even a picture of a friend.
I'll find the still I like and then convert to black and white and then input into that autotracer.
Try to keep to 4 colors or less to get good sharp lines(it will be mostly grey scale)

It is a learning process, hard to explain, you just have to mess around with it.

Then you have an image that isn't too hard to convert in your software.

Latest posts