• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dyeing a Rhyno to the rim

Kris C

Par Member
Has anyone done this? Obviously I'm worried about bleeds from the thumb-trak. Any tips will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

My friend wants his Rhyno to look like a tractor tire, so I need to dye all the way to the edge without it bleeding from the trac.

My main putter is a dyed Rhyno ... its pro so the dye has all but faded in the last 3 years... Anyways... it was dyed cleanly in the shape of a skeleton tree frog thing and there was no bleeding so I imagine it is possible.

-Mark

OK this one may be a little more helpful. I've never dyed a rhino Kris but in my experience with bad stamps with raised edges I've found a hair dryer to be extremely helpful. Warm that vinyl up, it expands a little and fills in the gaps.

Dan, would you warm it up before applying the vinyl so it stretches into the trac better, or only after applying the vinyl and stretch it in? Thanks!

With the last couple rhynos I've done, the real problem is the patent number on the track. If you take your time applying vynil, and apply center out, the track isn't much of a problem.
2012-09-25_09-06-26_344.jpg

2012-06-04_22-10-04_756.jpg

Last edited:
Depending on the pattern, you might be able to get away with concentrating on pressing down just the parts that overlap the thumb track. Such as this one, where I concentrated on the ears and toes:
picture.php

Otherwise, I tried not to over complicate it and just worked from the center out with this pattern. It really helped that the flight plate was mostly flat to begin with.
picture.php

I haven't used vinyl, don't know where to get it around here. I used contact paper, so there some bleeding on the Rhyno on the rim. These were done back in 2006. The one of the left is a Star Max I did for my brother. The Champ Rhyno I did for my Dad.

VTstarmaxchampionrhyno.jpg