• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Dynamic Discs Breakout

I have 2 Breakouts bagged right now and have enjoyed them. They are Definitely the most stable of the Diamond/Jade lineup. They are more stable than any Hatchet I have thrown, too. I haven't figured out if they are going to replace my Mauls, or not, to be honest. Both flip up to a nice straight flight, or ride an anny line well. I am enjoying them.

I just got a couple of these for the wife.
I was throwing one last night and it glides for days.

So, I was in a disc store while traveling that was fairly well stocked. I needed to buy two discs to get a free Gateway putter, and I saw this. There was only one, so I did not pay attention to weight and bought solely on the numbers. Pretty bummed about the light weight, but it's a really fun disc. Glides like mad. No idea if I will ever find a use for it on my home courses.

Is there something else I can find from Trilogy with that flight, but with normal weights? Thief is bio? My Witness is now so US as to be almost useless.

A beat in Thief is pretty understable. Starts out pretty straight though.

Bumping this because more people need to check out this mold. Down wind, this thing is better than any of my high speed stuff. I have started parking an uphill downwind hole again that I had pretty much given up on. After being disappointed by the weight, I am now finding more and more uses for it, and it's on a short list of discs I would reorder the very day I lose it. This thing plus Falchion have been pretty big surprises for me.

I agree with you PMantle. The Breakout is a great mold. When they are new, they have a nice controlable turn and the fade is still aggressive enough that it usually fights back. Downwind or no wind this disc has the potential to be the longest BH thrower in my bag. On open holes, I don't throw it that much but in the woods, this disc eats long low ceiling tunnels for breakfast. It is also especially good when the runup is short or comprimised in some way. I love the Breakout and I replace them with some frequency because I like them out of the box when they still have that solid fade. I've heard it called the "easy Escape" and that kind of rings true for me.

I'm not sure how I feel about this disc. It's more high speed and low speed stable than my Hatchet. It's got more fade than my S-line FD. I like the FD for shots that need some turn without much fade and I like the Hatchet for shots that need a lot of turn. I think I could cover most of those shots with just the FD by changing up the throw angle as well.

My Breakout is new so it needs to break in just a little more. I'm curious to see how it measures up distance wise. Early tests in the field are inconclusive.

The nice fade on the Breakout is what I really like about it. It lets me throw flex lines like the big boys without actually being a big boy myself.

A con of the breakout is that I've found it loses HSS faster than it loses its fade so after about 6 months of use, it becomes too flippy and gets harder to control. I'm good for a few of these a season though. It's so long that it's easy for me to justify bagging it.

I love a good 150 class discs and I like the Breakout at 158g. It pairs great with the VIP Air Stag. It's a real bummer that Westside stopped making the Air Stag because that was a really, really great disc. I know Lat64 is still making the Air Saint Pro but it doesn't fly as sweet as those Air Stags. Add it to my list of things to tell Westside to get right with their plastics.... Bring back the Air Stag please!!! I'll buy 10 of them.

I bagged a breakout for a while. It fit in my power down hyzerflip slot. In the end it just got too unpredictable at the lower weight. Now a GL River fits that mold and is one of my favorite discs to throw paired up with a moonshine river that is decently more stable HSS and LSS.

The breakout is a fantastic disc but I feel like it is one of those rare discs that you can "move past" as you progress.

Breakout

Threw a Breakout for the first time today. Not at all impressed. I realize I have too much arm for this disc, but it is one finicky ass driver. It either flips completely over or stalls out. There is no perfect flat flight here. I tried throwing it fairly hard and hyzer. No luck. Just barrel rolls into the ground. I had one semi-promising drive that actually maintained a mostly flat flight. It went easily over 400' but still tracked right the whole way.

You can't really feather/finesse the Breakout either. I tried that a couple times and all the disc did was stall and fade out.

I guess the disc I'd most compare the Breakout to is the Mamba. However, the Mamba is a couple speeds faster and will actually fight out of a high speed turn with some late fade. I guess the Breakout could have use on heavily treed courses where you'd need a low, turning finesse driver. The courses I play here are all open and I found absolutely zero use for it.

I think the Breakout only comes in very light weights. Pity. This could possibly be a decent disc if it went up to 175g. As it is, 154 was way too light. Disc is almost uncontrollably flippy.

Breakout: 9, 5, -5, 2. This disc actually has a bit of a dumpy fade when/if you throw it slow enough for it to fade. Throw it anything resembling hard and it will bend right and never come back.

I had a Breakout last year and really liked it until it got lost in the heavy junk.....

Have been throwing the Opto Jade really well recently, so I decided to get another Breakout (158gm) to try out. Really excited to get out later today and throw it.

Until they were replaced by the Wave this year, they were my main driver. I bagged 3 in different weights and plastics, with several more as backups for practice. Stable when fresh, then straight when they'd mellow. Eventually they'd get pretty flippy.

I now have six, from 168g down to 144g, tucked away in the garage. I tried Jades and Diamonds, but always came back to Breakouts. Part of the reason for retiring them was they became too hard to find.

Grabbed a few of these on a year-end sale, in Retro plastic.

Didn't know what to expect. After a month of throwing one, I have to say I'm impressed. It goes far when you hyper flip it just right.

I expected something similar to the Diamond, but it's more stable: the Jade would be a better comparison. I imagine mine will get flippy with a few more tree hits, but it had broken in to a very sweet spot at this point.

Latest posts