• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Dynamic Discs Witness Replacement

Just an update....with the COVID-19 stuff and other things, I haven't been able to get new discs to try with one exception. I was supposed to be in a tournament to support a university's disc golf club going to the collegiate nationals. With the university closing, they can't have the tournament and gave us all the player's packs. I got a Kastaplast Falk in mine and a friend who throws Kastaplast told me that it would work well with my forehand. I tried it and am getting great accuracy and distance....even more distance than from my Witness. I still want to try some of the suggestions you all gave me so I have more than one forehand disc option. When the disc store I use opens again...I'll be picking up a couple of the suggested discs and giving them a try. Stay healthy everyone.

Okay....I did an update, but not sure where it went to. So here I go again...

I got myself an Innova Sidewinder from InfiniteDiscs.com (Sidewinder was the most recommended disc). It's 9/5/-3/1...so a bit higher speed than the Witness....but still a speed I needed. I went out and played 9 holes with it and while it took a few throws to get used to it....I ended up loving it. It's flying nice for me. I've compared it to the Kastaplast Falk that I got (9/6/-2/1). I can see a use for both, so now I need more throws with both to find out what situations each will work in. Once I've had a chance to work more with both of those, I'll be looking at picking up one or more in the 6-8 speed range. I've got the list of what everyone recommended and I'll be looking at those. Eventually, I'll have the right forehand discs for my bag. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and I'll keep this updated.

You mean Kastaplast Lots right? I recently picked one of those up too. Hadn't had too many chances to throw it yet, but man do I love that plastic. My buddy, who is in the same boat as you, finally tried a sidewinder about a month ago. He absolutely loves it. He ordered 2 as soon as he got home.

You mean Kastaplast Lots right? I recently picked one of those up too. Hadn't had too many chances to throw it yet, but man do I love that plastic. My buddy, who is in the same boat as you, finally tried a sidewinder about a month ago. He absolutely loves it. He ordered 2 as soon as he got home.

Nope...I mean the Kastaplast Falk. https://infinitediscs.com/Kastaplast-Falk

I am liking how the Sidewinder flies....so I'll do some more comparison between it and the Falk to see if both stay in my bag or if one has to come out. The Falk has more glide, but the Sidewinder has more turn; so they may both stay in and get used in different circumstances. The Falk is 168 and the Sidewinder is 170, very close in weight...but in a wind, maybe the Sidewinder will be better.

Update 2: Here in Arizona, we are still allowed out and one of the activities we are allowed is disc golf in small groups. Most players are complying, although there are still some 6 or more groups being too close together....so we may lose our ability to play if players can't/won't comply.

Anyways...that not what this post is about...it just is a prelude to why I played this weekend. I was able to play a round with a friend and got to use the Sidewinder more. My friend is a Kastaplast player, so he's happy to see me throwing the Falk forehand...but even he admitted the Sidewinder worked better for me thrown forehand. The difference is that the Sidewinder is a lot flatter top than the Falk. So thanks to everyone who suggested the Sidewinder. When the stores open back up again, I'm going to try some of the lower speed suggestions I got. I could get them online, but seeing them in the store will let me see just how much of a flat top they have - and as I've found out...the flatter the disc the better it works forehand for me. I made a list of all the suggestions and the flight numbers...so I have a few to check out. I'll be checking back here frequently to see if there are any other (8 or below) suggestions besides what has already been suggested. Thanks again....

Update 3: Just played a friendly round with a few friends that I normally play with, dang that Sidewinder is awesome. I've been throwing further and more accurate than with the Witness (further distance may also be to the speed difference). Anyways, the Sidewinder just won a place in my bag and I've got another one coming in the mail - this one is a unique one. DILLIGAF Disc Golf (Facebook page), showed a Sidewinder going to be raffled off in May. It's a Halo Sidewinder. I've never seen anything like it and commented that I hoped I could win it. He let me know who provided it (First9Sports). It is a USWDGC disc and Innova apparently only makes the Halo for them. I'm thinking it might go further since there is more weight on the rim.

I still have the rest of the recommendations everyone gave me, so when my local store opens again and I can handle the discs, I'm going to look the suggestions I was given that are in the 6/7 speed range.

Thanks to everyone who suggested the Sidewinder!

So the Witness was 8/6/-3/1 and I've replaced it with a Sidewinder (9/5/-3/1). These will be the next ones on my list to check out. They match the turn and fade (or close enough). I just have to feel them to see if they are flat (which is best for my forehand) or domey (which I don't throw forehand very well).
Discraft Glide 6/5/-3/1 or DGA Tremor 6/5/-4/1
Westside Underworld 7/6/-3/1 or Discraft Sting 7/5/-2/1

I don't need every speed covered as I'm not that good yet....so it will be either a 6 or 7 speed next, based on how each of the above feels in my hand (but most likely a 7 speed as I have 5 and 9 speed forehand discs and 7 is right in the middle of those). Eventually I may get one forehand disc in each speed.

I think the Heat is probably the closest I've found in terms of flight characteristics, and a more comfortable rim.

Underworld is a great mold. I believe that's a 7 speed. A Seer is very similar but a touch less understable. The Heat is pretty much a Witness already.

I've tried the Heat....maybe it's just the one I have, but it is domey. I just cannot get a domey disc to work for me when I throw forehand. I need the disc to almost be tabletop flat.

Discmania just announced the Evolution line "Essence" being released May 14th. 8, 6, -2, 1 in Neo plastic.

Looks very similar to the discontinued DD Witness. With the DD Suspect also being discontinued and the Evolution Tactic being released with similar numbers it is starting to look like Lat 64 is tweaking discontinued molds for Discmania.

Discmania just announced the Evolution line "Essence" being released May 14th. 8, 6, -2, 1 in Neo plastic.

Looks very similar to the discontinued DD Witness. With the DD Suspect also being discontinued and the Evolution Tactic being released with similar numbers it is starting to look like Lat 64 is tweaking discontinued molds for Discmania.

I'll have to check that out when the stores open again. I really like to hold a disc and see how it feels before I buy my first one. Once I know a disc works for me, then I don't mind buying it online. But my preference is the local disc golf store.

Another, update. Lost my Sidewinder :(. I have a love/hate relationship with Hole #10 at Watson Lake. Pretty much a straight shot a the basket from the tee pad...but lining the right side are bushes and trees. You either go wide right and high to clear all of it and come back left to the basket, or you go left and back right. My normal shot is a forehand slightly left and allow it to come back right. HOWEVER, this can be a windy course and if you play it wrong the wind will catch your disc, push it left, and you can end up in the lake. That is what happened with my Witness and led me to start this thread. Well, now my Sidewinder took the same path and is in the lake. I do have a Halo version of the Sidewinder - it's a bit domier so I'm not sure how it will work forehand. Once my local stores open, I'll be getting another flat top Sidewinder and also checking out some of the other suggestions you all have provided me.

Also, I have not had a disc go as far as the Sidewinder for me....I was getting around 300 feet with it forehand. So that has been awesome.

I hope I don't 'bore' anyone....but this thread and everyone who responded has been helpful and I was to keep you all updated.

I still haven't picked up any other discs besides the Sidewinder, but with Arizona opening up again, I expect to change that soon.

Meanwhile, yesterday I played with the club I'm in and threw forehand for all but putts. And the majority of my tee shots were with the Halo Sidewinder. I shot +14 for the first time (normally at +25) AND on hole 16 (291 feet), I got the CTP! My first CTP ever and most importantly, my first time making the circle (it's an island hole) in regulation play (I've made it twice just practicing that hole).

The Sidewinder is amazing and I'm loving it. I will be checking out some of the other discs you all suggested, but I do believe I have my 9 speed forehand disc locked in.

Other information: the main hole I used my Witness for is 214 feet. I would throw the disc about 10 feet left of the basket and end up within circle 1 - in front of, or to the right of the basket. I'm 60 years old, don't have huge arm speed, and am still working on my form/consistency/accuracy.

Only a couple of years behind you, but for 190-225ft shots a glidey mid range might be something worth researching. Tursas (Westside), Mako3 (Innova), Wombat (Innova) should all do the job for you with better control. For those discs it's not about arm speed, it's more about getting some snap/spin on those discs, and they will glide for days. ;)

Only a couple of years behind you, but for 190-225ft shots a glidey mid range might be something worth researching. Tursas (Westside), Mako3 (Innova), Wombat (Innova) should all do the job for you with better control. For those discs it's not about arm speed, it's more about getting some snap/spin on those discs, and they will glide for days. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions. Both of those are 5 speeds and I have that slot covered with my DGA Rift. I have thrown the Mako3, didn't work for me and I've given it away. Never thrown Westside discs....

I'm looking for speeds 6 to 8, understable (-3 turn or so). The suggestions I have so far (besides the #1 option Sidewinder 9 speed) are:
7 speed
Westside Underworld
Discraft Sting
Infinte Discs Sphinx

6 speed
Discraft Glide
DGA Tremor
MVP Relay

8 speed
DiscMania Essence

I have 9 speed covered now, but there were other suggestions for that speed.

I need the disc to be fairly flat topped as that is what works best for my forehand.

Latitude 64 Diamonds are an 8 speed. They're pretty similar to a sidewinder though. Tursas and underworld by Westside are both nice too.

You don't need 8 and 9 speed drivers unless they have different stability/flight. A Valkyrie would be a nice compliment to the Sidewinder for a more stable disc. Or you could go Thunderbird or PD for something on the OS side.

The Sidewinder has really been working well for me as a replacement for the Witness. I've been getting more distance (not sure if it is because the Sidewinder is 9 speed and the Witness is 8 or if it is because my form is getting better). I've lost a Star Sidewinder (miss-threw - it went for a ride on the wind into the water - same thing that happened to my Witness), I lost a Halo Sidewinder (same hole, didn't go into the water - it just went further than expected and we didn't find it)...a disc golfer found it and returned it to me. Before I got the Halo Sidewinder back, I bought a DX Sidewinder (the local stores are really low on supplies). Now I just need to quit losing them.

Bought a Discraft Glide (6/5/-3/1) and I've only thrown it three times so far, but I'm really liking the feel of it and how it flies for me.

I'm going to work with these for a while and see if I need to add any other forehand understable discs (I may add a 7 speed at some time - Westside Underword (7/6/-3/1), Discraft Sting (7/5/-2/1), or Westside Seer (7/5/-2/1)). I don't want to add a disc just for the sake of having a certain speed; I'm not that good yet where I can really tell the difference in speed. I'm more of the type: well, my 9 speed goes past the basket on these holes and my 6 speed is too short of the basket...maybe I should try a 7 or 8 speed.

Anyways....thanks again for all the suggestions.

I don't want to add a disc just for the sake of having a certain speed; I'm not that good yet where I can really tell the difference in speed. I'm more of the type: well, my 9 speed goes past the basket on these holes and my 6 speed is too short of the basket...maybe I should try a 7 or 8 speed.

Anyways....thanks again for all the suggestions.

I understand your logic, but it is flawed. Individual speed classes are somewhat objective (based on rim width), but also somewhat subjective as well. For example, a Trespass and Wraith are the same rim width, but the Trespass is classified as a speed 12 while the Wraith is a speed 11.

Additionally, even if speed was 100% objective that does not mean that you would notice a distance difference when splitting hairs as finely as you're trying to split them. You'd be better served buying discs that are a similar hand feel and speed, but a different stability.

For example, I throw my overstable mids about 250'-260', my understable mids about 270-280', my overstable fairways about 275'-290', and my understable fairways 300'+. Notice that my understable mids actually go every bit as far as my overstable fairways, but they get there on vastly different lines!

The point isn't to have a single disc at every speed; it is to have a set of discs that complement each other BOTH in terms of speed AND stability.