• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

East vs. West PA

MY POA would be coming up from the south and camping in a nice centrally-located place, which puts Seth Burton/OC right on the way (just off 79). I'll have to research what might be close to I-81/78 on the east side.

PM me if you decide to come to the Lehigh Valley. I can't give you the play-by-play on the design of some of the courses in the area like optidiscic, but I can tell you which trees I'm going to hit when I tee off.

MY POA would be coming up from the south and camping in a nice centrally-located place, which puts Seth Burton/OC right on the way (just off 79). I'll have to research what might be close to I-81/78 on the east side.

You should get the premium membership and plug in a route map. It shows you every course along your line of travel and it's insanely convenient.

81 I would highly reccomend Whispering Falls...seconds off 81 and way underrated...trust me you will be surprised.
Noted. Love those courses close to the interstate when traveling. Sounds like my kind of place !
Will save Paw Paw for another trip.

I agree with the following breakdown and decided to throw in the eastern comprable courses if applicable

CHAMPIONSHIP (Par 60+): (# Reviews--Rating)
1) Deer Lakes Park - Tyler SP great layouts great amenities
2) Moraine State Park - Nockamixon great challenge
3) Pymatuning State Park -Little Lehigh open long holes
4) Seven Springs Mountain Resort-Blue Mtn Skyline and Valley stellar ski lift golf
5) Orange Crush, Fairmont, WV-Iron Hill insane wooded challenge
6) The Black Course, Moundsville, WV-Carasoul open air and some woods

CHAMPIONSHIP 9-Holes (would be 4+ stars if 18 holes)
7) Two Mile Run Extension-Unami unique holes
8) Slippery Rock University-

ALMOST CHAMPIONSHIP
9) IUP College Lodge-Jordan Creek memorable holes and a bunch of good ones
10) Knob Hill Park -French Creek long wooded fairways
11) Seth Burton Memorial-Tinicum
12) Thompson Park-Roland improving 27 holers
12.5) Under construction: expanded Old Economy Park-Riverside soon to be 18s

SENTIMENTAL OLD COURSE
13) Schenley Park-Sedgley Woods historic but still fun great vibes

Not included from the east of equal or greater caliber were FEW Dam, Hickory Run, South Mtn, Yetter, Prompton?, Long Trout Winery, Anson B Nixon, and so on
this was fun little exercise. I'm not bashing the west. Both sides have some great dgc to be explored

Very interesting comparison! I'm jealous of the breadth of your playing experience :)

I agree with the following breakdown and decided to throw in the eastern comprable courses if applicable

CHAMPIONSHIP (Par 60+): (# Reviews--Rating)
1) Deer Lakes Park - Tyler SP great layouts great amenities
2) Moraine State Park - Nockamixon great challenge
3) Pymatuning State Park -Little Lehigh open long holes
4) Seven Springs Mountain Resort-Blue Mtn Skyline and Valley stellar ski lift golf
5) Orange Crush, Fairmont, WV-Iron Hill insane wooded challenge
6) The Black Course, Moundsville, WV-Carasoul open air and some woods

CHAMPIONSHIP 9-Holes (would be 4+ stars if 18 holes)
7) Two Mile Run Extension-Unami unique holes
8) Slippery Rock University-

ALMOST CHAMPIONSHIP
9) IUP College Lodge-Jordan Creek memorable holes and a bunch of good ones
10) Knob Hill Park -French Creek long wooded fairways
11) Seth Burton Memorial-Tinicum
12) Thompson Park-Roland improving 27 holers
12.5) Under construction: expanded Old Economy Park-Riverside soon to be 18s

SENTIMENTAL OLD COURSE
13) Schenley Park-Sedgley Woods historic but still fun great vibes

Not included from the east of equal or greater caliber were FEW Dam, Hickory Run, South Mtn, Yetter, Prompton?, Long Trout Winery, Anson B Nixon, and so on
this was fun little exercise. I'm not bashing the west. Both sides have some great dgc to be explored
That's a great list. How about breaking them down in terms of most fun to play with a heavy bias towards woods courses ?

For Eastern PA/Allentown area (as I've only played Knob Hill in the west which i'd rate 3.75/5) fun to play with heavy bias towards woods....

Tyler State Park - 27 holes with 3 regularly rotating baskets per hole, top notch baskets, tees, signs, benches, etc. plays mostly in the woods with some par 4 and 5's. these holes will challenge you and make sure you set up your drives, approaches. Top notch course

Jordan Creek - one of the 05 pro worlds courses. also plays mainly in the woods with several legitamate signature holes (heart attack, pond, 18). water comes into play on several holes.

Nockamixon - the most challenging course i've ever played. as challenging as it is beautiful, you'll never feel so good about getting destroyed on a disc golf course. not recommended for rec. players. bring a map as it doesn't have the best signage.

Blue Mountain Peak course - not a very woodsy course (back 9 plays in the woods, but not as much as a typical course), but if you enjoy Ski golf, i recommend checking it out. if you haven't tried it, it's worth a shot. there is also a base course on site that is more wooded (although i haven't play that one). blue MT open saturdays and sundays. You will need to devote a day if you play this course and i recommend getting there as soon as it opens.

Those 4 are great courses regardless if you like the woods.

next tier:
Tinicum - beautiful manicured course with rotating baskets, plays in and out of the woods, with some holes that will test your distance.

Little Lehigh parway - 5 minutes away from Jordan Creek - beautiful course that places a bigger emphasis on controlled distance. not a woodsy course, but you do need to place your drives well and hit some gaps. water comes into play on several holes.

Other:
Sedgley Woods, second perm. basket course in the country (after oak grove), installed in 1977. all par 3's with generally 3 tees per hole. set in the woods, with most holes avg'ing around 240 i'd guess. great little "pitch n putt" if you will, with the most active friendly DG club i've encountered. leauge play 3 times a week all year, with $2 doubles generally following. I'd hit this up if you have the time and are passing through/near Philly

Haven't Played, but are likely worth playing:
Iron Hill, Carousel - two Delaware beasts, check out the reviews
French Creek - a wooded monster

^^ This does a pretty good job of summing up these courses. For Blue Mountain, I'd really only recommend playing one course or the other on any given day. Both are fairly taxing, especially the peak course.

Gotta Love how Pittsburghers wanna talk Hockey in the middle of the Baseball Season....it's ok I forget Pittsburgh has a baseball team too

We have the best QB tandem in the Nation in Roethlesburger and Vick who wouldnt want a sex offender and a Dog Killer as Pillars in their communities?

But this is about Disc Golf so to go with the Sports Rivalry I offer this insight into the first ever Pittsburgh vs PhillyDisc Bowl

The Quarterbacks
Deer Lakes Park vs Tyler SP
Both great Amenities mostly wooded Tyler is bigger 27 over the more dynamic Deer Lakes but Tyler sometimes doesnt show up (only one set of baskets and single tees) while Deer Lakes is ready for every game(3 concrete tees) (edge Pitt)
Running Back
Moraine State Park vs Nockamixon...Both are Grinders that will punish you all day long (long difficult holes) but in the end Nocky just looks better while it runs you over (Nocky is sooo much prettier) (edge Philly)
Wide Receivers
Pymatuning State Park vs Little Lehigh...both are always open/often make the big wide open play and sometimes spectacular but are head cases and get lost running routes (navigation?)(even)
Seven Springs Mountain Resort vs Blue Mtn Skyline Ski Hill...the Divas much hype and both open but 7 has some water and Blue has some woods (even)
Special Teams
Two Mile Run Extension vs Unami..both not FT players and probably never will be 18 at 9 holes but both pack a punch if given the chance 2MRX is just a bit more spectacular and capable of more big plays (Edge Pitt)
KickersIUP College Lodge vs Jordan Creek both fun and sometimes easygoing but are capable of special kicks as well..Both nail the end of game every time (#18) but Jordan never misses the extra points (amenities) or the early game kicks (IUP starts out slow) (Edge Philly)
Tight Ends
The East has a long completely wooded extremely Tight Course in French Creek ....to my knowledge Pitt doesnt have one of these (edge Philly)
Defense
Knob Hill Park vs Tinicum...Westerners defend overrated Knob and Easterners defend overrated Tinicum (even)
Up and Comers
Old Economy/Slippery Rock vs Roland/Prompton...seems more potential with OEP and SR over the older Roland and the injured Prompton (closed for season) (Edge Pitt)

Hall of Famers
Schenley Park vs Sedgley Woods...historic and full of great memories and fondness by their admirers (even)
The Bench
The East just has so many more 9 and 27 and 18 holers that would be notable in other regions...Pittsburgh quickly tails off after the top 10 or so out there (edge Philly)

So in the end the East comes out ahead due to its remarkable Quantity of Quality....but just barely

oh and for the record Philly has a better basketball team too!

For Eastern PA/Allentown area (as I've only played Knob Hill in the west which i'd rate 3.75/5) fun to play with heavy bias towards woods....

Tyler State Park - 27 holes with 3 regularly rotating baskets per hole, top notch baskets, tees, signs, benches, etc. plays mostly in the woods with some par 4 and 5's. these holes will challenge you and make sure you set up your drives, approaches. Top notch course

Jordan Creek - one of the 05 pro worlds courses. also plays mainly in the woods with several legitamate signature holes (heart attack, pond, 18). water comes into play on several holes.

Nockamixon - the most challenging course i've ever played. as challenging as it is beautiful, you'll never feel so good about getting destroyed on a disc golf course. not recommended for rec. players. bring a map as it doesn't have the best signage.

Blue Mountain Peak course - not a very woodsy course (back 9 plays in the woods, but not as much as a typical course), but if you enjoy Ski golf, i recommend checking it out. if you haven't tried it, it's worth a shot. there is also a base course on site that is more wooded (although i haven't play that one). blue MT open saturdays and sundays. You will need to devote a day if you play this course and i recommend getting there as soon as it opens.

Those 4 are great courses regardless if you like the woods.

next tier:
Tinicum - beautiful manicured course with rotating baskets, plays in and out of the woods, with some holes that will test your distance.

Little Lehigh parway - 5 minutes away from Jordan Creek - beautiful course that places a bigger emphasis on controlled distance. not a woodsy course, but you do need to place your drives well and hit some gaps. water comes into play on several holes.

Other:
Sedgley Woods, second perm. basket course in the country (after oak grove), installed in 1977. all par 3's with generally 3 tees per hole. set in the woods, with most holes avg'ing around 240 i'd guess. great little "pitch n putt" if you will, with the most active friendly DG club i've encountered. leauge play 3 times a week all year, with $2 doubles generally following. I'd hit this up if you have the time and are passing through/near Philly

Haven't Played, but are likely worth playing:
Iron Hill, Carousel - two Delaware beasts, check out the reviews
French Creek - a wooded monster

I agree goood stuff:clap:

I'm not going to get involved in this conversation because I'll end up getting off topic.:D

That's a great list. How about breaking them down in terms of most fun to play with a heavy bias towards woods courses ?

Its tough to do as western PA tends to have better balanced courses with open and wooded holes while the East tends to be open or woods and rarely is as balanced.

Worthy Primarily Wooded

Challenging and Fun
Moraine
Nockamixon
Quakers Challenge-Pinchot.....big bold and wooded

Challenging and Cruel
French Creek
Iron Hill
WhiteTail (9)....quit crying

Extreme Challenging Fun
Orange Crush-hard on legs,heart and score

Fun atmosphere
Long Trout Winery.....drink some great wines and have some great times

Par 54 Technical Fun
South Mtn
Yetter
Boulder Woods-Pinchot...traditional addictive woods golf

Dont dare skip Deer Lakes it has great wooded looks but has some really fun open holes as well

I'm not going to get involved in this conversation because I'll end up getting off topic.:D

Scared...oh thats right your from western PA ...c'mon we are known for taking punches (Rocky) just throw a solid DG punch with every jab and youre fine.:)

Scared...oh thats right your from western PA ...c'mon we are known for taking punches (Rocky) just throw a solid DG punch with every jab and youre fine.:)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/No-hoax-Capitals-mistakenly-engraved-on-Prince-?urn=nhl-261871

Don't know what's worst, the fact that the Filthadelphia Cryers made it as far as they did or the fact that the Washington Crapitals was engraved on the Prince of Wales Trophy.

See what I mean...Off Topic!

Gotta Love how Pittsburghers wanna talk Hockey in the middle of the Baseball Season....it's ok I forget Pittsburgh has a baseball team too

We have the best QB tandem in the Nation in Roethlesburger and Vick who wouldnt want a sex offender and a Dog Killer as Pillars in their communities?

But this is about Disc Golf so to go with the Sports Rivalry I offer this insight into the first ever Pittsburgh vs PhillyDisc Bowl

The Quarterbacks
Deer Lakes Park vs Tyler SP
Both great Amenities mostly wooded Tyler is bigger 27 over the more dynamic Deer Lakes but Tyler sometimes doesnt show up (only one set of baskets and single tees) while Deer Lakes is ready for every game(3 concrete tees) (edge Pitt)
Running Back
Moraine State Park vs Nockamixon...Both are Grinders that will punish you all day long (long difficult holes) but in the end Nocky just looks better while it runs you over (Nocky is sooo much prettier) (edge Philly)
Wide Receivers
Pymatuning State Park vs Little Lehigh...both are always open/often make the big wide open play and sometimes spectacular but are head cases and get lost running routes (navigation?)(even)
Seven Springs Mountain Resort vs Blue Mtn Skyline Ski Hill...the Divas much hype and both open but 7 has some water and Blue has some woods (even)
Special Teams
Two Mile Run Extension vs Unami..both not FT players and probably never will be 18 at 9 holes but both pack a punch if given the chance 2MRX is just a bit more spectacular and capable of more big plays (Edge Pitt)
KickersIUP College Lodge vs Jordan Creek both fun and sometimes easygoing but are capable of special kicks as well..Both nail the end of game every time (#18) but Jordan never misses the extra points (amenities) or the early game kicks (IUP starts out slow) (Edge Philly)
Tight Ends
The East has a long completely wooded extremely Tight Course in French Creek ....to my knowledge Pitt doesnt have one of these (edge Philly)
Defense
Knob Hill Park vs Tinicum...Westerners defend overrated Knob and Easterners defend overrated Tinicum (even)
Up and Comers
Old Economy/Slippery Rock vs Roland/Prompton...seems more potential with OEP and SR over the older Roland and the injured Prompton (closed for season) (Edge Pitt)

Hall of Famers
Schenley Park vs Sedgley Woods...historic and full of great memories and fondness by their admirers (even)
The Bench
The East just has so many more 9 and 27 and 18 holers that would be notable in other regions...Pittsburgh quickly tails off after the top 10 or so out there (edge Philly)

So in the end the East comes out ahead due to its remarkable Quantity of Quality....but just barely

oh and for the record Philly has a better basketball team too!

Hilarious!

You forgot one category: Head Coach...Western PA designer/promoter/course superintendent/laborer J Gary Dropcho is well-known for getting 110% out of his players and developing rookie talent. Who's leading the players onto the field out East?

I'm sorry harkeypuck...I should've mentioned that my last post was not up for discussion or debate. It's a tautology and need not be examined further.

However, compliments and praise will be accepted.

There is talk of building another championship quality course in the Pittsburgh area. :clap: This should help balance out the state's DG "teams". I really need to make a trip to the East side of the state.

Come on, Pitt is WAY better than the Sixers! :hfive:

Latest posts