• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Elbow Brace?

remember2morrow

Eagle Member
I've been having some problems with hyper-extension lately, and I'm considering trying an elbow brace to see if it helps with the problem. Anyone else use one? Any suggestions on a brand/type/model?

i have the "ace" branded one from wallgreens. Mine is just the strap and is held on with velcro. Has the little air pillow in it. Also 3 or 4 ibuprofin before a round are wonders.

maybe try a different throwing style

when i used to pitch back in the day i coundnt throw overhand without pain , but id throw sidearm all day 80+mph

If you're hyper-extending your elbow backhand, you're strong arming it and it will just continue to get worse. If you're hyper-extending it throwing sidearm, try throwing backhand for a while. I dealt with some tendinitis last year, and those braces don't help much, healing time and throwing smoother is the only way to ward off pain from throwing.

It's going to be treating the symptom and not the actual problem, but the braces that they have for golfer's elbow should help limit the amount of hyperextension. To help address the issue:

1. Check your form and make sure that you're not throwing with your arm out like a trebuchet
2. Work on strengthening the muscles in your shoulder...not just your deltoids, but the scaps, rotator cuff, etc. This will give your arm the ability to slow down after a throw without your arm getting out past your elbow.

i have the "ace" branded one from wallgreens. Mine is just the strap and is held on with velcro. Has the little air pillow in it.

I've been using this for a few weeks and it seems to be working for me. That and also throwing at 70% strength tops has helped me get back to at least doing field work a few times a week. Wearing that thing took some getting use to but its all gravy now.

If you're hyper-extending your elbow backhand, you're strong arming it and it will just continue to get worse. If you're hyper-extending it throwing sidearm, try throwing backhand for a while. I dealt with some tendinitis last year, and those braces don't help much, healing time and throwing smoother is the only way to ward off pain from throwing.

This^. I used to have elbow pain when i first started, but by backing off and throwing at around 80%, combined with work on my form has solved everything. No more pain!

You can always try my solution when my elbow started to really bother me........switch arms! I went from throwing RHBH until my elbow pain got really bad, to throwing LHBH this last month/month and a half. It took a little time but its coming around and I swear I think I'm getting a little more distance on my drive lefthanded. I pretty sure that my elbow pain was due to bad form and I'm trying to make sure I pay attention to this with the other arm. If nothing else, once the right arm is back in shape, there shouldn't be any throw I can't make.:)

Funny thing is it doesn't happen when i'm throwing backhand unless i make a crappy throw(strong arm it)...i get the most tension/pain from doing putting sessions. The brace is there now more mentally than anything.

Funny thing is it doesn't happen when i'm throwing backhand unless i make a crappy throw(strong arm it)...i get the most tension/pain from doing putting sessions. The brace is there now more mentally than anything.

This might have more to do with your follow through at the very end as you release the putter with the rotation of your radius and ulna bones in your lower arm and how it relates to your final hand position when you practice multiple putts.

Does your elbow click a lot when you extend it and lock it out?
If your locking out your elbow with enough repetitive force you will aggravate it if your not fully use to it. I would allow yourself some rest from these putting sessions for a few days and then go back to it albeit slowly. You can do plenty of different exercise to strengthen the tendons and ligaments in the elbow, but a great thing to do is always prime your shoulder and elbow by doing some light weight exercises and movements so you don't go out there cold.

Keep mindful of how your hand position and how far over your thumb comes when you release this has a direct affect on the position of your arm bones and you might find that the way you release and follow through might be what is causing you problems. The more you rotate your hand the more those bones will rotate in the elbow joint, this might be ultimately be causing you the pain and a slight adjustment in form might be all you need.

For starters, do consider making an appointment with a sport med doctor if at all possible. As some others have suggested there are some things that can be done if it's something like tennis elbow, but let the qualified professional help you determine a diagnosis first, not the message board crowd.

That said, the McDavid Dual Band Elbow Support is the best thing I've encountered, bar none. As an old ball player (I last pitched forcefully in college 25 years ago) I have a chronic tendon condition that has been entirely manageable since. With the McDavid I have never over-extended.

A ton of good advice on here about strong arming it. I definitely went through the same thing. For me it was really bad a few years ago and I started wearing a brace all the time. What I did was wear the Walgreen's brace and then slipped a basketball shooter's sleeve over it that kept the velcro from snapping open. After a while I no longer felt pain when throwing, or at least nothing more than general soreness, but sometimes I continued to wear it as a preventitive measure.

Now, there is a rule against wearing adaptive gear that can aid in your throwing, and I am leary about this rule because I do wear it to prevent injury but at the same time it was helping clean up my throwing motion. It helped keep my elbow at the right angle and also helped keep it from over extending.