• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elbow height

Malawi

Par Member
So moving on to the elbow in my form progress.
Since im wide railing alot it havent been an issue having it out from the body but it has been on diffrent heights almost every throw, havent really thought about it until throws result smashing the ground 100 feet away.
Thats the symptom of a low elbow right?

Also have read some threads before saying you should keep the elbow really high.
Then i re watched some pros form and notice alot of players keep it kinda low below the nipples. And some pros like Avery, Orum and Oakley having it high all the way through compare to Mcbeth that seems to start low then rises when fireing.

Tried it out today swing back with a high elbow like above my nipples and it result in big sky annys with decent power. Has the elbow height something to do with diffrent shots?
What do you think is the best height if there is one?

Definitely want elbow at chest height at least, when the disc is passing your chest.

Elbow below the chest will cause swooping and nose-up drives.

So moving on to the elbow in my form progress.
Since im wide railing alot it havent been an issue having it out from the body but it has been on diffrent heights almost every throw, havent really thought about it until throws result smashing the ground 100 feet away.
Thats the symptom of a low elbow right?

Also have read some threads before saying you should keep the elbow really high.
Then i re watched some pros form and notice alot of players keep it kinda low below the nipples. And some pros like Avery, Orum and Oakley having it high all the way through compare to Mcbeth that seems to start low then rises when fireing.

Tried it out today swing back with a high elbow like above my nipples and it result in big sky annys with decent power. Has the elbow height something to do with diffrent shots?

For throwing different angles you will need to adjust your elbow height and spine angle. Big hyzers more spine angle and low elbow, big annys you want to stand up more vertical with a high elbow.

Throwing low is more likely to do with your shoulder level. Your right shoulder is going to be lower then your left if you are throwing into the ground. This is also a weak position power wise many times in my experience. Not bracing into the shot, getting weight too far forward can tilt the right shoulder down as well.

How are you defining height?

Distance above the ground?

I think I would define it as the angle relative to the angle of the spine.

If you have a forward lean to your spine, and your arm was straight out from your shoulder, your arm would be 90 degrees relative to your spine, but maybe -30 degrees relative to the horizontal plane.

I think there are tradeoffs for any position.