• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elbow in push putts

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
Hello.

After watching the Feldy and Socky putting clinics this season, I was left wondering - in a push (read: shovel) putt, what role if any does the elbow joint play? Am I locking my elbow throughout the entire motion, or just holding it immobile at a comfortable angle?

Furthermore, swinging my arm down for the windup, if I swing down far enough, my arm hits my right knee/thigh. Should I take the disc off the line to swing off to the left and get lower, or just go as low as possible on the correct line? Or a third bonus option, on my rock back/crouch down, should this motion bring my right leg back/down enough to avoid my arm in the first place?

Hello.

After watching the Feldy and Socky putting clinics this season, I was left wondering - in a push (read: shovel) putt, what role if any does the elbow joint play? Am I locking my elbow throughout the entire motion, or just holding it immobile at a comfortable angle?

Furthermore, swinging my arm down for the windup, if I swing down far enough, my arm hits my right knee/thigh. Should I take the disc off the line to swing off to the left and get lower, or just go as low as possible on the correct line? Or a third bonus option, on my rock back/crouch down, should this motion bring my right leg back/down enough to avoid my arm in the first place?

When I talked to Philo about my putting, he told me to make my putting line a straight line from the pole to my back foot. (which is my left as I putt right handed) This honestly helped me keep my shots on line a lot easier. If you watch McBeth, he hits his back leg on almost every putt. It is just part of his routine. Just find something that works for you and make it habit.

As for the elbow, immobile and at a comfortable angle.

Hello.

I teach to lock it in. Some players have found a way to do it the same without locking it, but I've found in teaching people that very few can do it consistently without locking it (except Cam Todd).

Like my page on FB and check out the personal coaching video about this very topic.

Marketing 101: Always follow up with a link to said FB page. ;)

You don't think that would be too cocky? I really only want those who want to go there to get it. If I provide the easy "click-on" link, then I'm like twitter, inviting all kinds of gall.

You don't think that would be too cocky? I really only want those who want to go there to get it. If I provide the easy "click-on" link, then I'm like twitter, inviting all kinds of gall.

Never. At the least put it in your forum signature. ;)

I allow my elbow to bend very slightly for longer putts, which allows me to get a little more pop on my release. Probably no more than 10 degrees max.

Feldberg addresses this in his clinics. He has the elbow slightly bent, but does not move the elbow at all during the stroke.

I do as well as it feels more natural than locking out the elbow.

Latest posts