• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are Spin Putts being misrepresented?

itsRudy

Par Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I tend to play during windy months, so I'm looking into the spin putt. I watched a Scott Stokely video recently and the major difference was the major hinge joint. Push using shoulder and Spin using Elbow and Spush being a tweener.

All well and good and my general understanding as well, but what I heard from him and many others is that Spin Putt has inconsistent left to right because of the arc of the elbow throw (but consistent height) while Push inconsistent height up and down one needs to pin down wile the shot usually had consistent aim at the basket.

At 4m20s:

https://youtu.be/Lf9lyC1tago?t=262

As I had a Spushy Putt all the time, I accepted this, but now I'm practicing both extremes of putt and I'm finding that (my) spin has just as much left/right consistency as a Push/Putt but the supposed consistent height at distance is still a matter of practice (but I'm much newer at this putt).

This is because I keep the disc in a straight line from my chest out because I bring my elbow in and because I see my hand, I find this to be fairly trivial. If I kept my upper arm static, I can see this arc issue but I'm not sure anybody actually does that for circle one putts?

(Btw, I don't mean to razz on Scott at all here. He's the one in his other videos to introduce me to the straight line concept in the first place, so I'm just applying it here, is all.)

spinputz.png

If you figure out how to throw the hover-spin putt … that looks like it's thrown way soft but keeps hovering into the chains… let me know with a graphic description - starting with what your fingers do.

If you figure out how to throw the hover-spin putt … that looks like it's thrown way soft but keeps hovering into the chains… let me know with a graphic description - starting with what your fingers do.

lmao, that sounds like you gave him an assignment. What is stopping you from researching that kind of putt on your own if you are interested?

I agree with the OP, I spin putt and it is a straight line to the basket / pole instead of an arc that is depicted in the first diagram.

You mean a Barsby like putt?

lmao, that sounds like you gave him an assignment. What is stopping you from researching that kind of putt on your own if you are interested?

I agree with the OP, I spin putt and it is a straight line to the basket / pole instead of an arc that is depicted in the first diagram.

I researched and failed. I experimented and failed.

Can you give me a video example?

It sounds like Calvin's putt. He push putts and lofts it, but it still hits the chains with a lot of speed.

Gannon Buhr's recent How to Putt video is probably the most helpful. There is something fundamental I am doing wrong with spin putt. I'm better, but still bad. Like OP, I started spin putting with all the wind this year. I feel like I have to throw as hard as I can to spin a 25' headwind putt. Something is wrong.

Gannon Buhr's recent How to Putt video is probably the most helpful. There is something fundamental I am doing wrong with spin putt. I'm better, but still bad. Like OP, I started spin putting with all the wind this year. I feel like I have to throw as hard as I can to spin a 25' headwind putt. Something is wrong.

To get the feel, try hitting tennis or racquetball backhands against a wall for a while.

What active action do your fingers make? I'd love to see a slo-mo underneath the disc of Eagle, Simon, Chandler Fry, Jeremy Kohling, Chase Ford…

I get your point (I think). It's all about a clean release. I think there is room for development on the putter.

What active action do your fingers make? I'd love to see a slo-mo underneath the disc of Eagle, Simon, Chandler Fry, Jeremy Kohling, Chase Ford…

No idea really.

My point was only to say that racquet swing is similar to spin putt motion.

I'm sure there are other resources for finger pop that you can find.

Some things that can increase the spin from your hand/fingers, in no particular order.

Pinky or pinky+ring finger on the rim.
Pointer finger a little hooked on the rim, seen Holly Finley talk about this.
Practicing finger spring, check out Calvin Heimburg's 60 second blitz, I think it was.
DFP grip thread.
The 2 stacked putters drill someone here came up with (wasn't you, was it?).
Loading and unloading the wrist, similar to the free floating arm movement in miniature.

For the OP, I believe that nose angle is going to have a huge impact on the height of a spin putt. The more spin you get, the greater the lift if you get the putt nose up. Conversely, if you get the putt nose down, it's going to push itself towards the ground. Or just aim it high or low, similar result

The "consistency" in the height of the putt, being referred to, I believe, is that it tends to stay on the line you put it on. A push putt moves more like a tossed ball, going up and down. So the longer the putt, the more height you need to give it, Barsby being the ultimate example. Or you have to give it more initial speed.

I also think spin is the key to the "floats into the chains" putt. Give the disc more spin and it needs less forward speed to maintain its height. It should be more aerodynamic, with greater glide, bleeding less forward momentum to friction. Thus, it needs less initial speed to get all the way to the chains, and will have a greater distance it will go at lower speed, meaning you don't have to fire it into chains to make sure you get it there.

I don't think it's an accident that some of the best spin putters have really long fingers.

(As always, I'm a scrub and this is just my current understanding. Could be wrong, etc.)

I don't think it's an accident that some of the best spin putters have really long fingers.

Thanks for the heads up. I have stubby fingers (and legs...) so it probably won't be the putt for me, ultimately. Still, it's interesting to experiment outside of my norm.

Thanks for the heads up. I have stubby fingers (and legs...) so it probably won't be the putt for me, ultimately. Still, it's interesting to experiment outside of my norm.

Well, Paul McB doesn't have the biggest hands and still is one of the best spin putters ever. I'm just guessing that he has to give the disc more speed to get the spin than guys like Eagle, Calvin or Simon.

I wasn't trying to dissuade you (or anyone) from spin putting, but more responding to the idea that some people seem to able to spin putt without as much velocity on the disc, "floating" it into the chains.

Latest posts