• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elevated Baskets

teej

Birdie Member
Hi,

On one of my local courses we have a hole with an elevated basket. From the ground to the bottom of the basket itself is 64" tall.

We want to spruce up this basket by building something around the pole itself. The pole is ugly. We really like what DGPT does to some of their baskets. I've attached a photo for reference.

I am hoping to get a few creative idea's of what we could do to help this basket stand out. Got any idea's?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC03087.jpg
    DSC03087.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 69
Trying to get in before the oldmanballcon troll ruins the thread. Your options are kind of limited. Needs to be indestructible and unable to be stolen. That will narrow the options considerably.

I've seen a circular brick wall, about as wide as the basket itself, infilled with dirt and made into a flower planter.

You can do something similar, but square, with landscape timbers. If it extends much beyond the basket, some people are going to step on it.

I've also seen a wider terrace, so that a disc that lands within 5' or so of the pole is on it, and so the basket isn't above ground level unless you're far enough out for it to matter.

You should surround it with a bunch of giant jagged edged rocks that get incredibly slippery during and after a rain.

The private course Twilight Zone has one basket with the grass under the basket grown tall enough to be even with the top of the basket. No disc will bounce out of that basket.
Of course that basket isn't elevated, on private land and grass 64" high won't work. But maybe some other type of plant(s) will.

Something like this is fairly common. (google images)
I would consider railroad ties or telephone poles and I would make the bases larger like 16 by 16 foot for the bottom. This one looks like a 6 x 6 or 8 x 8 foot bottom.
I've seen some with stone, but the nice thing about using wood is discs won't get nicked up.

image hosing website

I would consider railroad ties or telephone poles and I would make the bases larger like 16 by 16 foot for the bottom. This one looks like a 6 x 6 or 8 x 8 foot bottom.
I've seen some with stone, but the nice thing about using wood is discs won't get nicked up.

image hosing website

I don't mind an elevated basket, but I dislike the ones designed to be punishing to near misses. That's kind of on the fence and would need to see how it plays.

The terrace is nice, the pitching mound is a bit more finicky.

Whatever you do....please, please make sure it is easy and safe for players to retrieve their discs from the elevated basket. And make sure you include kids in the planning....they need to be able to get their discs out also. If someone can't reach into the basket to get their disc, there's a good chance they may pull or hang on the basket causing it to get damaged.

800px-Elevated_Hole_-18_at_Stewart_Pond_Disc_Course_in_Eugene%2C_Oregon.jpg

The Fort - Long in Ogden, UT (host of this years' World's, I think) had some nice elevated baskets with 3-4 inch branches in a circle around the pin. They fit in great with the local aesthetic and were all probably sourced on-site.

cd2b124efd0e1b6b333645b654fa618a.jpg

I'm a fan of making elevated structures instead of merely elevated baskets. 64" to the cage is pretty high for kids or short people trying to remove their discs after making their putt. Additionally, having excessively tall baskets creates a zone under the basket where it's hard to make the putt - you end up having to do a fade-away hook shot to putt out.

https://i.imgur.com/zqYPadn.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/l3J9crU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5E3QGGG.jpg

I like the look of that last one but it appears to be difficult to climb to get your disc

If I recall correctly, Dave, it was a minor inconvenience for me, but I'm 6'4". My guess is that shorter players and young'uns (yutes?) would struggle. They were still doing a lot of course building in prep for this year, so there may be plans to add stumps around the base to provide steps. That's what I would do, anyway.

I loved the overall aesthetic of the course, though. They had OB separating fairways made of 6' walls of the same type of wood as the elevated basket, so everything fit together. It did not feel forced like string or decorated chain link. It follows the left side of the first fairway here:
03d52f98_m.jpg

thats if you putt with inferior baseline plastic

stones are inherent hazards of dg

premium plastic > baseline

things like this will help people see the light

thats if you putt with inferior baseline plastic
stones are inherent hazards of dg
premium plastic > baseline
things like this will help people see the light

I was thinking about long upshots and drives when I said it will nick up discs.