• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elon Park

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
This is Elon Park in Charlotte, North Carolina. It features two 18 hole courses that are pretty wooded with a few small hills to make things interesting.

Eager Beaver (Short Course)

Angry Beaver (Long Course)

Two short course aces:

My first time playing these courses was about three years ago. I played them both one time in the same day, and enjoyed myself. New friends, new courses. Angry Beaver was tough, but when I had good shots it felt more rewarding than nailing a more open hole. Eager Beaver was easy, but few lines were gimmies and the ace potential made things exciting. Three practice baskets rounded out this impressive disc golf retreat.

I had mixed feelings about Angry Beaver though. Part of that is context I suppose.

Angry Beaver demolished me my first time playing it seriously. I'm talking one of the worst rounds I've ever kept score on. Granted part of that was from getting a bad concussion the night before (Shouldn't have played that next day), but really most of it was my difficulty in adapting to the course.

If you look for interviews from the course designer (Stanley McDaniel), you'll hear about how he likes making holes that give a golfer the impression they should throw harder than they ought to, and the holes will punish them for it.

I was definitely one of those people the first time I played Angry Beaver. I cut my teeth on Arboretum DGC in Ohio, which had all the length of Angry Beaver with none of the trees. I was used to holes where I could grip lock my drive 50' wide and still have a putt, while at Angry Beaver you can miss a line by 2' and take two strokes because of it. I never really felt like most holes at Angry Beaver were unfair, maybe only 1 or 2 tops...but it still left me frustrated even if it were my own fault.

Charlotte disc golf has taught me a lot about the game, and courses like Angry Beaver are a big part of that. It's a challenge, but one that will make you grow as a player. This is a destination course I think anyone visiting Charlotte should visit. Between the two courses there is something for every skill level.

Last edited:
This is my home course. The first few times I played the Angry Beav, I swear I thought I had forgotten how to play disc golf!

Typical Stan course - there is an obvious (usually WRONG) line that you see off the tee, then there are hidden "old man cheater" lines tucked away on almost every hole, if you know where to look. But Angry will severely punish you for being even 6" off-line. It's like Nevin that way, but without all the damn thorns. The whole course is an illusion. You see these long, twisty holes, and you *think* you know what to throw... except Stan has already figured that out, and there are almost ALWAYS one or two sneaky hidden guardians that will deflect your "great" shot 20' into the woods. Standing on the tee, you swear that LD driver is the right shot, b/c this is a 600 foot hole, right? Wrrrrrong. Throw the mid, or even the putter, because if you aren't in the sweet spot of the fairway, you have no second shot. Angry rewards placement and accuracy - NOT distance. I learned this the hard way after about 4 of the most miserable golf days of my life.

Once you have your "A-HA!" moment and figure it out, Angry is a really cool, challenging, enjoyable course. But it's also one that Ricky (also his home course when he's in town) has told me is "One of the most challenging courses he knows".

I feel very lucky to have Elon within 4 miles of my house. It can be a super-easy putter round (Eager Shorts) and small bag or 3 disc round (Eager Long) or a full backpack "Bring-your-A-game" round (Angry).

I usually go throw a putter round from the shorts on Eager after getting my butt handed to me on Angry. Just to ease the pain of what just happened lol.

Hah, I don't blame you. Having a short pick me up course like that is always fun after a challenge. When my friends from Ohio visited I took them to Renny Gold (Smiling on the inside the entire time)...then we went to that elementary school nearby (Pinewood?) and grabbed a few aces :D

Hole 5 I made the mistake of "going for it" the first time I played it...that's definitely one where you want to use a putter or mid off the tee IMO. I try to aim straight and just shy of those three trees straight a head of the tee, and set myself up for that monster upshot. Anytime I've tried throwing something faster on a big hyzer it gets caught in the rocks and I have no run-up.