• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

End of Jump Putting as we know it

I just read the OP of this...

I gotta say that the rules are getting to be too much. Most of the discers I hang with go to tournaments and I have very little interest in that... I swear if I went to a tournament and someone called me on anything like this I'd be fairly pissed and would srsly consider just walking...

Man, I do this for fun... I already work in a competitive enough market and I'm surrounded by rules and protocol all day long... why in hell would I want to bring all that to my recreational activities...

*I'm sure I said nothing new here but whatev...felt like sharing*

Consistency is a big issue with disc golf. The USDGC is a prime example. The best tourney in disc golf has different rules every year. How does that make us look? Is OB a penalty stroke? Not? Distance loss? Not? Handicapped? Make up your friggin minds.

The "sport" side of disc golf has not yet matured in many ways so expect constant change and tweaking until we get there. The "game" is whatever rules you and your buddies wish to play.

Consistency is a big issue with disc golf. The USDGC is a prime example. The best tourney in disc golf has different rules every year. How does that make us look? Is OB a penalty stroke? Not? Distance loss? Not? Handicapped? Make up your friggin minds.

This. Makes us look bad when we test rules at the biggest event. Bass ackwards if you ask me.

Nope. New rules should be tested at the biggest events if they're intended to solve perceived rules problems. If it works or doesn't work there then that knowledge can extend to lower events. For example, the sudden death rules in the NFL were first tried in the playoffs and have now moved to regular season games.

1. If its ok to have threads speculating about new discs that havent come out yet and have only just been mentioned then I don't see why so many people are complaining about people speculating on a possible rule change. The rulle change is something that actually would affect everyone playing the sport.

2. I don't understand how so many people haven't seen anyone who is good at jump putting. I have met multiple people who are actually quite good at it and I don't even get out to many tournaments.

3. Those 'illegal' jump putts arent really helping the people who are doing them anyway, the point of the jump putt is to gain some momentum from your legs to transfer into your throw. The only way you are actually transferring anything into your throw is if you release the disc before leaving/just as you are leaving the ground. Once you leave the ground the majority of the power you built up by jump putting is gone and there then is no point in taking a jump putt.

I have used jump putts when I want a longer push putt instead of a spin putt, I find that if I really don't want to overshoot my landing but still want a putt that isnt just a lay up with no chance of going in the jump putt is perfect. Other than that I don't ever jump putt, but I do know many people who will once outside the circle and for them it works. Just like straddle putting works for some people and not others jump putting is just another technique. The last thing I'd want is someone telling me I had to throw a specific way. Getting rid of jump putting completely like some have mentioned would be, on in an extreme case, just like getting rid of forehand or backhand shots and saying that everyone had to shoot the same way.

Just my 2 cents on the thread, I personally hope they would never actually put this rule change into effect.

I just read the OP of this...

I gotta say that the rules are getting to be too much. Most of the discers I hang with go to tournaments and I have very little interest in that... I swear if I went to a tournament and someone called me on anything like this I'd be fairly pissed and would srsly consider just walking...

Man, I do this for fun... I already work in a competitive enough market and I'm surrounded by rules and protocol all day long... why in hell would I want to bring all that to my recreational activities...

*I'm sure I said nothing new here but whatev...felt like sharing*

No one is trying to dictate your casual rounds. This is for competition only.

1. If its ok to have threads speculating about new discs that havent come out yet and have only just been mentioned then I don't see why so many people are complaining about people speculating on a possible rule change. The rulle change is something that actually would affect everyone playing the sport.

I don't think people are taking issue with talking about a theoretical rule change and what its pros/cons would be. What some people (including me) take issue with is when people use the theoretical rule change which isn't even apparently on the radar of the RC to say "OMG, the PDGA is WAAAAAYYYYYY out of line with this- what are they thinking!!!"

It is fine to talk about a possible future rule change. It is not fine to pretend it is something currently being pushed through by the PDGA when that is not even remotely true.

Keep both feet behind the mini and we won't have to worry about "if done correctly". Feldberg could do his same putt one step back.

Actually, if his front foot is off the ground, he couldn't.

I think we're talking about different things.

I'm talking about the rules as they are. There's no rule about keeping both feet behind the mini.

It seems you're talking about a theoretical rule change to create a curved vertical plane* at the mini, which feet can't pass but other body parts can.

(*-my bad geometry; I'm not sure what the correct name for this would be).

3. Those 'illegal' jump putts arent really helping the people who are doing them anyway, the point of the jump putt is to gain some momentum from your legs to transfer into your throw. The only way you are actually transferring anything into your throw is if you release the disc before leaving/just as you are leaving the ground. Once you leave the ground the majority of the power you built up by jump putting is gone and there then is no point in taking a jump putt.

Yes. This is why it makes no sense to outlaw jump putting. Penalizing people who do it legally, just so its easier to stop a few morons who release while in the air, is a rules overreach. As you say, the people who are releasing after they leave the ground aren't gaining anything by it, so the prevalence of that poor technique is self-limiting.

How about we just make all basket positions near cliffs or water, and then everybody will just lay up? ;)

Actually, if his front foot is off the ground, he couldn't.

I think we're talking about different things.

I'm talking about the rules as they are. There's no rule about keeping both feet behind the mini.

It seems you're talking about a theoretical rule change to create a curved vertical plane* at the mini, which feet can't pass but other body parts can.

I was talking about how I think it should be, not how it is.
The bold is correct.

It would be a cylinder whose radius is the distance from the pin to your lie.

*the more you know!* :)

Disagree....it would be a flat plane perpendicular with the furthest point from the pin of your mini. :D

1261715_o.gif
:) fixed that for you

Disagree....it would be a flat plane perpendicular with the furthest point from the pin of your mini. :D

Nope, all the rules about this sort of thing talk about no closer to the pin than your lie, a cylinder by definition has a base of all points the same distance from the center so anything outside it would be no closer to the pin.

Nope, all the rules about this sort of thing talk about no closer to the pin than your lie, a cylinder by definition has a base of all points the same distance from the center so anything outside it would be no closer to the pin.
Sooo... wouldn't a sphere be the correct geometrical shape?

Hmm, interesting, didn't think of it that way. If you wrote the rule such that you couldn't have any body part closer to the hole than your lie I suppose it would be, though I'm not sure where you would put the center (base of pin, middle of basket, middle of chains?).

While geometrically correct, I'm not sure I agree. It would be an interesting rules discussion though.

Latest posts