• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Environmental impact of sanding discs; biodegradable plastic

Using the OP's logic, the entire sport is bad for the environment unless you are walking barefoot to the course. i hope this isn't serious.

Aluminum discs solves this. Could be an awkward transition, but doable if thinking big picture long term.

Perhaps a bigger course pollution issue is synthetic clothing and bags. They shed micro plastics wherever they go.
https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/10/7/2524/htm

A joke, right? Aluminum discs would remove body parts. And it would happen sooner or later.

There is more shoe wear, rubber, on the course on the course than plastic from sanding.

Are we going to change our shoes to a biodegradable material as well? Those would last about 4 rounds.

What about ponds that eat disc whole? That is more of an issue.

Make the max weight 138 grams so everything floats

To me, the biggest problem (way more than microparticles) is trash on the course. The two biggest culprits being beverage containers (alcoholic or not) and smoking remains (mostly cigarette butts). If these weren't issues, then I'd maaaaaaaaaybe worry about the environmental impacts of micro-particles coming off of our shoes and discs. But until I see a course without cans and cigarette butts, I'm going to worry about the bigger issue.

Using the OP's logic, the entire sport is bad for the environment unless you are walking barefoot to the course. i hope this isn't serious.

Even walking barefoot is bad. How much new growth is trampled by people walking on them while playing, how much is destroyed/damaged getting hit by discs?

Yes, microplastic is bad. But there are worse things. Let's start with one thing that can be easily taken care of and go from there. Trash. If players would carry a trash bag with them and pick up trash as they play, that would be bigger step to having a healthy planet than worrying about microplastic. Or better yet, if people wouldn't litter in the first place. Resolve that and THEN work on the smaller issues.

Okay fine, what about the glitter I throw to celebrate C2 putts made? Oh wait that never happens either. :(

Use the tradition of a just married couple and throw birdseed (since rice is bad for the animals who might eat it). Have the other players in your group toss is up as you run through a shower of birdseed. I think most of the pros do that on tour...pretty sure.

WOW. I must be a real slob, as I use a sandblock on my discs about once a month while sitting on my couch watching tv. I don't hold it over a trash receptacle either. I'm a real monster I guess.

WOW. I must be a real slob, as I use a sandblock on my discs about once a month while sitting on my couch watching tv. I don't hold it over a trash receptacle either. I'm a real monster I guess.

I hope you don't allow kids or pets to sit on that disgusting lap of yours.

;)

Must be why you get so many chain outs. Karma is a bitch.