• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Etiquette and pet peeves

SteezeOG

Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi
Today was amazing weather and a great day to play so I didn't let any of these small things get me down but when the weather is bad I find my patience wears thin for bad etiquette.

A group of two dads and their combined six kids were out playing. Awesome I thought those are cool dads. Then I realized they allowed their kids to stick branches in the tops of the baskets.

Leaving after my round a car pulls up with 3 teenage somethings bad dubstep blaring. He actually left it on with the doors open while they got ready. Then they started intentionally playing the course out of order. Nothing major but it just makes me wonder if anyone still considers other people anymore? What about the group on sixteen trying to sink a putt then you pull up with your music loud and jump on the hole right in front of them?

What are the worst examples of bad etiquette you've come across? From disc golfers and others.

I just hate it when a group of 3+ just seems to refuse to let you play through.

Hosting a pro tournament with a local rock station broadcasting live by holes 1, 9, 10 & 18. And yeah, they have bigger speakers than a car. :confused::doh:

After throwing a round today, and noticing the load of beer cans, beer bottles, broken beer bottle remains and other trash on the course, I decided to follow up with a trash pick up round. After nine holes, I had had enough, and took the garbage bag (which probably weighed close to 10 pounds by then) to the dumpster and went back to play the back nine.

I decided then to play one more round, and wouldn't you know, there were already three or four new beverage containers strewn about on the half of the course that I had just cleaned.

There should be a special place in hell for chuckers. I just wish the law gave me the authority to take a 12 gauge out on the course and send them there.

After throwing a round today, and noticing the load of beer cans, beer bottles, broken beer bottle remains and other trash on the course, I decided to follow up with a trash pick up round. After nine holes, I had had enough, and took the garbage bag (which probably weighed close to 10 pounds by then) to the dumpster and went back to play the back nine.

I decided then to play one more round, and wouldn't you know, there were already three or four new beverage containers strewn about on the half of the course that I had just cleaned.

There should be a special place in hell for chuckers. I just wish the law gave me the authority to take a 12 gauge out on the course and send them there.

That sucks. I swear there is not a course in this area that has this problem yet I hear/read so much about it in other locations.

Litter is a big pet peeve of mine. Not letting people play through is also ridiculous, but I find it happens more with inexperienced players and they are always in a large group. My biggest though is foot faults. No one seems to call them on anyone, and I see it all the time. I called it finally on this guy I've been playing with because he literally takes two steps past his disc no matter the throw.

^the only course in MI I've been to do far that didn't have cigarette butts and trash everywhere was flip city.

Today was amazing weather and a great day to play so I didn't let any of these small things get me down but when the weather is bad I find my patience wears thin for bad etiquette.

A group of two dads and their combined six kids were out playing. Awesome I thought those are cool dads. Then I realized they allowed their kids to stick branches in the tops of the baskets.

Leaving after my round a car pulls up with 3 teenage somethings bad dubstep blaring. He actually left it on with the doors open while they got ready. Then they started intentionally playing the course out of order. Nothing major but it just makes me wonder if anyone still considers other people anymore? What about the group on sixteen trying to sink a putt then you pull up with your music loud and jump on the hole right in front of them?

What are the worst examples of bad etiquette you've come across? From disc golfers and others.

At least it could have been good dubstep like Skrillex.

Littering.

I have yet to meet a d bag on the course.

But the damn littering. And who's doing it? I don't see people doing it, but there it is.

I used to hate pay to play courses because I grew up with it being free, and had a hard time adapting to it.
However, I now seek out pay to play courses, because you rarely have to put up with the BS. I would rather pay 5 bucks to play all day, than play for free, and have to deal with garbage or douchebags on the course, or in the parking lot.

T Hizzle~ I like Skrillex so that would have been better. Just the fact he needed to keep it on long after arriving.

I see litter all over and not once seen it first hand. One day I will and I like Scarpfish's idea.

About 6 years ago a former MN pro player couldn't get into a spring tournament because he didn't pre-reg. He started offering players $50 for their spot. After no one obliged, he proceeded to kick in his car door. A year or two later he was caught cheating at a major tournament. People knew he been doing it for a long time. Rumor is that he tried running a car off the road on his way home (hearsay) in his rage.

He probably could be ranked in the top 5 right now if he still belonged to the pDGA and competed. Too bad some of the most skilled players don't keep with DG because of having a hot head or other issues.

I used to hate pay to play courses because I grew up with it being free, and had a hard time adapting to it.
However, I now seek out pay to play courses, because you rarely have to put up with the BS. I would rather pay 5 bucks to play all day, than play for free, and have to deal with garbage or douchebags on the course, or in the parking lot.

Agreed, when something is free it brings the riff raff......Pay to play is the best solution. I'd pay 10-20 to play some of the better courses in the country. Might be pricy for some, but still beats greens fees at almost any ball golf course.

As for a pet peeves I would say being thrown into..........Don't do it.

My general rule of thumb is......first time let it slide, maybe just turn around and give the stink eye, but if it was an accident no biggy........second time, I'm gonna let you know you shouldn't have done it.........third time, that disc you threw at me is comin right back at ya.........These things are dangerous! and don't even get me started on the casuals large groups that constantly throw and walk right in front of the other guy in their group who is about to throw.........Tee off start walkin while the next guy tees off and so on......by the 4th or 5th guy its like a shooting gallery. The sad or funny part is the only way they will learn is by one guy getting hit in the head and having to make a trip for stitches at the local ER.......

T Hizzle~ I like Skrillex so that would have been better. Just the fact he needed to keep it on long after arriving.

I see litter all over and not once seen it first hand. One day I will and I like Scarpfish's idea.

Just giving you chit! 10 Kharma Points to Scarp.

My pet peeve is people that don't yell fore or clear hole #?

talking while on the teepad, it annoys me quite a bit

This 2^^^

Your music on the course, especially those bags with speakers. Bad music played out of crappy speakers. Oh, the joy:thmbdown:
Wear earbuds like me.

Most of all, people who break off vegetation. Let it grow, just learn to throw better. It's not the tree's fault that you suck and can't stay out of the woods.

f-bombs and other vulgarities. Theres a local guy that would just scream out profanity when he threw. Even on what I would consider excellent shots hes yelling out m-fer and GD. This after I complimented him on his skills. I lost a disc the other day and I asked him if he had passed by it and just stopped short of him thinking I was accusing him of stealing. I guess for DG it brings out the worst in people, where as for me its a nice stress reliever from teaching.

oh yeah those cute cuddly family photogs that decide that you are in the way of their family photo shoot. They are getting more prevalent at my local DG course. Go somewhere else and get off the teepad. Its not meant for you to lie down on and wallow in the grass!

Today at Grandview...

Today my friend and I (we were pushing strollers, so we look like we play slow) were waiting for the single golfer in front of us to finish teeing off (he made us wait while he threw three drives, no big deal, whatever).
But then a foursome walks up and just proceeds to tee off in front of us!
What the heck! Were we not close enough to the teebox?
Did our disc golf bags not give us away?
They didn't say anything except,
"Nice day to take the kids to the park, I wish I could do that."
Its not a big deal, it was a nice day and I had no where to be, but we waited for them on every hole.
A little rudeness goes a long way, I guess.
Rant over. Have a nice day now.

That sucks. I swear there is not a course in this area that has this problem yet I hear/read so much about it in other locations.

thats awesome man. we dont see this at most courses around here either.however we deal with this constantly at wingfoot(suffield, ohio).a dumpster is conveniently placed on the turn yet people still toss there s**t(bush and natural ice cans) all over the course.played two rounds in a row the other day.the first round i got everything picked up.the second i walk up on a pile of natural ice cans around the basket,the basket seriously.two holes later i walk up on a group of chuckers(ill say that to be politically correct) one of them carrying a pillow case full of none other than full natural ice cans.after an initial denial on there part and my obvious glance at there sheer white pillow case they went back and picked them up.its amazing how powerful embarrassment is,as they should have been.these douche bags do nothing but make the rest of us golfers look bad,while making it next to impossible for any future expansions on the course.

Last edited:

Latest posts