• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Etiquette and pet peeves

^^^Mix up a handful of Quikcrete and fill 'em in, trowel it over. If its too ridged, hammer & chisel it first. It'll dry in no time. Really pisses 'em off when you eliminate their ego. :thmbup:
But too bad they messed up your pristine work.

Last edited:
This past weekend we installed concrete teepads at a course being used for upcoming Worlds. This morning, while I was removing the plastic tents we set up over the teepads, I found that someone had tried to carve their initials into a teepad. Needless to say, I was pissed.

This sucks to hear, Tom was so proud on Saturday to report that there had been no tagging of teepads.

Here recently the dungeons and dragons click from the local hs have been LARKing on the back 9. I dont mind them living in their fantasy world, but they see you on the teepad and yet still continue to beat the piss out of each other with foam covered duck taped whiffle ball bats to see who captures the the fort (aka #10 and #11 baskets). I'm happy they are getting their exercise and all, but they are building "castles" out of limbs in the fairways and tearing out the teepad signs as spoils of war.

LARPing...

Live
Action
Role
Play

I probably am not making any friends by saying this, but a real pet peeve of mine are the regulars that play in these obnoxious groups that start out as 2 and end with about 15 by the time they finish. I really wish that unemployed local groupies would play during the day, and leave the 'before dark' time of day for those of us that only have a couple hours a week to play. It sure sucks to work all week and finally get your chance to play, only to have the course swarming with the drunk daily crowd.

Along those same lines, many courses have a sign that explains that your group should be 4 people or less. When a course is super busy and there are lines at every tee, this once again irritates the heck out of me because its blatant disrespect for your fellow golfer and the course rules. One time, the monstrous group in front of us spent about 3 minutes looking for a disc near the pin, considered it 'lost,' and the offending player casually sauntered back to the tee pad. He then took his time, and slowly walked back out to his lie; all the while he saw THREE groups back up on the tee. The lack of a sense of urgency is what gets to me the most when the course is busy. Had we thrown when they were looking we for sure would have been faced with the drunk 'Dude WTF bro?' We could skip ahead but that often comes with its own drama, and honestly I would like to play the entire course.

Littering bugs, and I don't want to say it but littering your cig butts when there is a trash can at every tee annoys me as well (I am a smoker myself).

Newbs that throw their disc 45 degrees to either side of the fairway on every. single. hole. I get it, hey I'm not all that good myself, but by god, learn from your mistakes!

Being thrown on under ANY circumstances.

And those are my pet peeves :)

Last edited:
Talking while someones on the tee and standing behind the basket when i'm putting. Not getting a play through after waiting 3-4 holes bothers me too.

Loud mouths, moving/talking during shots, littering, and altering the course all make my list, but my single greatest source of annoyance is slow play in all its forms. Lots of crowded courses round these parts.

Talking to me while im lining up a shot. A few days ago one of the guys i play with regularly was trash-talking while i was putting for a bird. I ended up getting a bogey. I wont be playing with him regularly anymore.

A couple of mine involve the same set of people, do they still count? Taking discs right out of your bag and claiming they weren't there that day, even when you were in charge of the event. Emptying their whole bag on the same hole to get another ace, the hole is 180, and this guy claims to have close 100 aces. Profanity written on signs or baskets, if I was to black out all of the stuff on the one basket, the rim would be black instead of yellow. Littering, 10 feet from the trash can. People use the basket closest to the parking lot as a practice; not a big deal, until you are throwing that hole and they stay with in 5 feet, but stop putting saying it's clear and looking annoyed when I stand there not wanting to hit one of them.

How about frolfers at your local course putting drivers 30+ft out at the practice basket when your trying to get your putting routine in.

Letting someone play through, who wants you to wait for them to catch up from a hole behind, and then when they do - they throw one into the woods. THEN they proceed to tell you: "Aww, you guys didn't wait just for that shot." - and pulls out another disc to throw ...

We saw the same guy out a few days later and he's randomly playing to a basket on the course (totally out of turn, from a totally different direction than the pad/hole) and nearly hits one of our group in the head.

Today was amazing weather and a great day to play so I didn't let any of these small things get me down but when the weather is bad I find my patience wears thin for bad etiquette.

A group of two dads and their combined six kids were out playing. Awesome I thought those are cool dads. Then I realized they allowed their kids to stick branches in the tops of the baskets.

Leaving after my round a car pulls up with 3 teenage somethings bad dubstep blaring. He actually left it on with the doors open while they got ready. Then they started intentionally playing the course out of order. Nothing major but it just makes me wonder if anyone still considers other people anymore? What about the group on sixteen trying to sink a putt then you pull up with your music loud and jump on the hole right in front of them?

What are the worst examples of bad etiquette you've come across? From disc golfers and others.

What kind of litter? I'll narrow it down ... if it's beer cans/bottles/boxes - it's the people drinking. Which is probably my #1 pet peeve; people who are their to drink first and play DG second.

Littering.

I have yet to meet a d bag on the course.

But the damn littering. And who's doing it? I don't see people doing it, but there it is.

Last edited:
Everything listed in the previous six pages plus several more.We have a real good player in our dubs leauge that actually gets mad when his partner throws a better shot than him.Anybody ever bought or traded for a used disc and the seller (trader) failed to mention that the reason they are getting rid of it because every since a Hummer ran it over it flips and burns no matter how you throw it?

How bout when my very own partner fails to call FORE on an early released approach shot and hits me in the neck. He also shoots out of turn, and i don't mean drop ins, throws his empty bottles in the woods, is nasty to anyone he doesn't know and he has left several pair of socks in the parking lot after retrieving water bound discs. After listing this I can't believe the dude is my friend.

I played a fundraising, unsanctioned tournament this winter. We played on a new course in Omaha in a remote location, where there are usually few players. The TD didn't pull a permit to exclude non-tournament players, probably because it was a small tournament and no one would have thought we needed to.

A group of 5 people hopped onto the course ahead of us, and when my group caught up, we explained we were in a tournament, and they let us play through.

After we played through, a guy on my card asked them to be silent until we were done with the hole. And then he stood there and refused to throw because there were some skateboarders a couple hundred feet away making some noise, and he was distracted. Bear in mind, there was NOTHING ON THE LINE. No prizes, no trophy, and he was clearly not in contention to win even our card, let alone the tournament.

Long story short (too late?), that is one of my big pet peeves. When did disc golfers become entitled? I love playing in solitude, but it's not a right, and we can't expect non-disc-golfer park users to cater to us.

A great way to keep people from supporting disc golf in general or tournament play in particular is to be a jerk.

--people who actually care about someone talking/walking/moving around when they're trying to putt/approach/drive during casual rounds

--rules sticklers, in general, during casual rounds

--discussions about who is "out" that last longer than two seconds

--"bowl holes" (only because they delay being able to play the hole)

--people dilly-dallying around the basket when they finish cleaning up their putts

--players with bad form who have been playing forever and who are actually decent players, but who should not be giving new players advice on form constantly giving people advice

--the apparently widespread belief that you are a pussy if you do not throw max weight

--people not returning discs

--having a regular doubles partner who always makes the same terrible shot on a particular hole that he could absolutely avoid if he listened to you but who is otherwise a real good dude

--people-- well, okay... this one dude, who apparently thinks that just because i'm a social worker means that i feel like being a therapist while playing disc golf

--people throwing plastic that is way too overstable for them

--relatedly, people whose only drive is a forehand annhyzer

I probably have a lot more. I swear I love this game, though!

dorseymatt --people who actually care about someone talking/walking/moving around when they're trying to putt/approach/drive during casual rounds

My pet peeve is people that talk when I am on the pad or putting regardless of a casual round or not. I want the practice dring a casual round and that gets eliminated when people talk in my back swing.

My pet peeve is people that talk when I am on the pad or putting regardless of a casual round or not. I want the practice dring a casual round and that gets eliminated when people talk in my back swing.

I feel you, but to a large degree, the idea that that is a problem that should affect your shot is in your head. There is no objective reason that someone talking should affect a shot, really. I mean, catchers say things to batters when they're trying to swing during baseball games -- why should batters be able to handle it, but disc golfers can't?

I'm not saying I have an amazing mental game, or anything -- don't get me wrong. But unless someone directly asks me a question while I'm in the process of shooting, I tend to tune things out because I'm focused on what I'm doing.

If it's messing you up, I think you could consider that practice for your mental game, maybe.

littering
people who wont let u play through
people who throw on u when ur half way down the hole
people who dont yell fore or say it after it almost hits me
loud annoying music
people who are talking loudly during putts or shots
people who dnt sit still and are in your line of vision during a shot
people who talk about their one good shot the whole round
people who talk about their bad shots all round
people who feel the need to curse every shot,its ok every so often but every shot?
people who miss a putt and feel the need to throw a disc as hard as they can (ive alnost been hit by a dbag who did that on my card)
people who feel the need to try to explain to my why a disc does this and that after i just explained it to them
people who write conversations,draw pictures or random crap on baskets
people who have a disregard for rules in sanctioned play..ie beer drinking
foot faulters that deny it when theyre called out
people who feel the need to break limbs and do landscaping for their ****ty shot

yeah,theres alot that irks me,this stuff doesnt happen all the time but it has happened in the past years playing lol

im also not a unpleasant person to play with,im not a dick. i just have my preferences and peeves. most of these things i listed are people ive seen do them or people in tourneys. not too often it happens in my groups i play with regularly

Last edited:

Latest posts