• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Ever hated a disc...and then you didn't?

Quick tally of most common answers to OP's question - there are about 5 people who have since come around to the teebird, and the most common with about 6 is the leopard. Bit of a surprise - seems like the most beginner friendly driver in existence.

The Innova Starter Pack has the DX Leopard in them, but it's usually 150g or so. I'd imagine that as players get better, that disc will start getting flippier for them and they'll end up looking elswhere. Then some time later they come back to it (or the Leo3) and realize how good things were all along..

Right now I hate the FD. I don't think I'll like it. The c-line plastic is too slippery for me. I might stick it in a pot of boiling water.

It just came out the boiling water. It seems to have worked! I don't know for how long though. It got really soft when hot and it seems more grippy then it was.

The Innova Starter Pack has the DX Leopard in them, but it's usually 150g or so. I'd imagine that as players get better, that disc will start getting flippier for them and they'll end up looking elswhere. Then some time later they come back to it (or the Leo3) and realize how good things were all along..

Or like me they were playing in mid 2000's with the DX then comes champion and the person like me does not get it as the DX they had bought outside a set was still doing fine. Then they make an odd change to the leopard that nobody likes to the rim so when person including me gets the disc it is not what they want even in Champion. I use the Impact and have back ups for oop mold that can do the micro s shot mostly straight like a new DX Leopard but without the softness problems DX has since the plastic changed and most of the molds in the DX plastic do not have the tiny bead on the nose area to help keep stability of DX plastic longer.

Yeah, the Comet!
Bought one in X, hated it and traded it off.
Next year bought another X, didn't like it, but kept it
The year after, bought an ESP, kind of liked it.

Then went back to the X as fell in love!

No longer have the ESP, but I got a stack of X's in weights from 162-178gr!

Agree with X Comet. Picked one up because of all the DGCR love, but didn't love it myself at first. Now years later I feel like it would be weird NOT carrying one. So many times people are like "what was that?" And are surprised when I say it was a Comet. Love it especially for uphill shots.

Agree with X Comet. Picked one up because of all the DGCR love, but didn't love it myself at first. Now years later I feel like it would be weird NOT carrying one. So many times people are like "what was that?" And are surprised when I say it was a Comet. Love it especially for uphill shots.

I see that, the rim has that bead on it.

I originally didn't like my Champ Sidewinder. Just seemed like I couldn't throw it without throwing a worm burner. Left it out of my bag for quite a while. I decided that I wanted something US and faster than my River so I pulled it back out. After about 3 hours of chucking it back and forth in a field, I have it figured out and liked it enough to put it in the bag.

The Innova Daedalus and the Discraft Buzzz

I got a daedauls because the last Innova beginner 3-pack was open when I started and the guy working there just subbed in the Daedalus for the leopard because the missing disc from the 3-pack was a "driver". As a newb with no idea how to throw correctly, the 13 speed driver was far from useful (despite being marketed towards "beginners"). I actually like the disc now as a roller. Not a high priority disc in my repertoire, but still, I don't hate the disc like I did when I first threw it.

Now the Buzzz… this was like 2 years of not believing the hype. I had learned by throwing sharks and mako3's, the 2016 ace race (archer) and putters. Then I added a heat and I built most of my game with those discs. I had a couple of elite-z buzzzes in the 175 range and because of the weight and the grip and my lack of skill, I could not get these discs to match the feel and reliability of either shark or mako. But that's the thing. When I was new, I loved the mako for its laser-straight shots because I reasoned that because the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, this 0/0 disc was the ideal midrange. It wasn't until I lost one of my mako3's that I started to fool around with a buzzz and by then, my arm was stronger and my technique better and I started to appreciate how much control you have with the disc. And after I learned a forehand late last summer, the buzzz became a staple for me. I now consistently bag two buzzzes and would argue that it's my 3rd most used disc mold (behind my zone and rattler)

The Dagger. I truthfully don't know why I bought it in the first place. At that time I was into shallow putters, thinking anything that was deep would interfere with my release. But, I have this weakness for buying putters, so I bought it anyway.:eek: Well, when I first tried it, I thought, no this isn't going to work.

Then later I realized that it wasn't the putter that was the problem, it was just me being lazy about my release. So I give the Dagger another try and now the zero hard Dagger is one of my favorite putters.

I remember the adjustment period on my Ion and Comet.. But the disc I didn't like at first years ago was the Switch. Billed as a straight fairway it has a late hard hookup, shelved it for a couple years pulled it out last spring on a 3 Disc round whim and bagged it instantly after the round. Not what I bought it for but something I need!!

It just came out the boiling water. It seems to have worked! I don't know for how long though. It got really soft when hot and it seems more grippy then it was.

I bet you boiled the mold grease off of it lol :hfive:

A quick scrub with a sponge and detergent may have worked too.

I had tried rubbing alcohol awhile back but it didn't work. If anyone tries it, the water is boiling but I turn off the flame before I put the disc in the water. Don't want any trapped steam getting in there. I straighted a gstar driver out once doing this. It had been run over by a tractor and was pretty deformed but it came out of it mostly but has a flatter top now then designed. I tried to use the boiling steam to pump the dome back into it but it came out slightly lumpy. It still flies though. I use it for the pavement shots.

Yeah, the Comet!
Bought one in X, hated it and traded it off.
Next year bought another X, didn't like it, but kept it
The year after, bought an ESP, kind of liked it.

Then went back to the X as fell in love!

No longer have the ESP, but I got a stack of X's in weights from 162-178gr!

X plastic is nice for the Comet. I feel that was the reason the X plastic was made in mind with Discraft in the first place, for the Comet

Didnt hate it but felt like it was way overrated.

Teebird. It's just great.

Didnt hate it but felt like it was way overrated.

Teebird. It's just great.

I think the Teebird takes some time to learn how to properly throw. When I was a new player and didn't have a lot of distance I didn't like the Teebird either. I thought it was slow, clunky, and too overstable. Once you start trending toward 400' the Teebird shines. It holds a straight line for a good while before fading gradually.

I added a champion Teebird to my bag a couple years ago and love it. I use it frequently and am seldom disappointed in my results with it.

I'd say the same thing about the Thunderbird. Once you get used to them you find them indispensable.

I think the Teebird takes some time to learn how to properly throw. When I was a new player and didn't have a lot of distance I didn't like the Teebird either. I thought it was slow, clunky, and too overstable. Once you start trending toward 400' the Teebird shines. It holds a straight line for a good while before fading gradually.

I added a champion Teebird to my bag a couple years ago and love it. I use it frequently and am seldom disappointed in my results with it.

I'd say the same thing about the Thunderbird. Once you get used to them you find them indispensable.

I stick to 7 speed Drivers usually. My max is 300, but to be accurate I am around 275. 2 years in. Maybe 1.5 years actually realizing the more speed isnt always better haha. The DX TB and cycling them is so helpful.

I stick to 7 speed Drivers usually. My max is 300, but to be accurate I am around 275. 2 years in. Maybe 1.5 years actually realizing the more speed isnt always better haha. The DX TB and cycling them is so helpful.

Well, if you make it to 350'+ you should take a long look at the champion or star Teebird. They're beefier than DX by quite a bit and will hold a flat line on hard rips. Plus the plastic will last much longer than DX.

Latest posts