• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Ever hated a disc...and then you didn't?

TripleB

Eagle Member
I have two that fit that bill: a Lucid Air 160g Escape and a Z Line 173g Buzzz SS!

I found the Escape (unfortunately brown in color) after I had been playing a month (no id on it). I threw it a couple times and it headed so far left on every throw that I'm surprised I didn't lose it myself. About a month later I tried it again....still headed left on me so it was put up on the wall as decoration - to stay there forever. Today I decided to take all my 9+ speed drivers out to the field and have a throw off. You all have been telling me ever since I started asking about disc (8 months now since I began this game) that I should pick a disc and stick with, it so today was the day I decided to find that distance disc: Tern, Sidewinder, Beast, Jade, Avenger SS, or Valkyrie. As I was leaving I saw the Escape on the wall and started not to take it....never had luck with it and it's brown (never going to be able to find it). But I took it anyway. It was truly the standout of this group. Just as consistently long as anything else (the Tern beat it distance wise a couple times but other times the Tern turned on me and never came back) and the even more importantly the flight was extremely consistent. Slight turn to the right and then always working its way back to center. It was never a giant sweeping curve but a very controlled and narrow turn (maybe flew like a -1/1). It never did turnover on me no matter how hard I tried to throw it. At first I didn't like the feel of the plastic near as well as the standard Lucid but by the end of my throwing session it didn't even bother me!

The Buzzz SS wasn't put up on my wall as decoration because of the flight of the disc when I first got it, but because of the Z Line plastic. Back when I first got it I just didn't feel like it had the grip I wanted so I didn't give this disc a true chance of making my bag. Then I found Trilogy plastic and I don't think I looked at many Discraft disc again. I've been looking for a straight flying midrange and haven't had much luck. I thought the Truth was it but if I get the nose up even a little I know it's going to head left on my...and I seem to get the nose up a lot more than I should with this disc. I then ordered a Fuse figuring, even though net understable, it would probably give my arm a straight flyer---nope, it has become my right turning disc (RHBH, and I have no RHFH). So that left me without a straight flyer. Today I took several of my mids to see if any of them would work. Picked up the Z Line Buzzz SS and it didn't feel half bad in my hand. Started throwing it along side my Truth, Buzzz, Comets, and M2 (which isn't as overstable as it should be). The Buzzz SS was by far the straightest of the bunch....not even close. It started straight towards the target and never even thought about moving off of that line (it's basically what I think a Mako3 would be like). It was obviously a fluke so I kept throwing it over and over and over...straight as an arrow ever time. I'm in love with this disc...which may open me up to many more disc options in the future since I now seem to like the Z Line plastic.

Maybe it was just the day or the fact that my arm speed has caught up with the disc, but these two disc that I used to hate are now going straight into my bag...just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

TripleB

Some time ago I found a DX Destroyer at a PIAS. Looked pristine, brand spanking new, and was marked $3.00 so I bought it. It was always too overstable for my arm, so I didn't throw it much. Recently, I found it in a box and took it out to see how it might do as a headwind disc to pair with my Tern. I found that the DX Destroyer flew very well into the wind. Now I have a Pro Destroyer in the bag and throw the DX along with it on the range.

I never hated the Leopard3, but preferred the River. Then the Rivers got flippy, I got tired of buying new ones, so I started throwing the Leo3 (Champ and Star), and it has really grown on me. The Hannah Leatherman Leo3s are awesome, as well.

Dx aero. It wasn't what I was looking for and hard to putt with but then I learned how to throw floaty upshots and big annys with it. Then it was my favorite disc back when I first started. Now I just throw flicks but I used to love it.

Thunderbird

I was given a Star Thunderbird (175g) when they first came out because I volunteered for an event. Took it out to my field to test it out and was frustrated at how OS it was. Put it into a box for a couple years. Wouldn't say I hated it. Hate is a big word. Just thought 'meh', another Innova driver.

Flash forward to last year where I gave that disc another shot and found out it is the most amazing FH driver. The love affair blossomed and it's the spine of my distance game. Couldn't believe I left it sitting in a box for so long. Innova has made some $$$ of me with this mold now that I've got a healthy collection.

Yeah, Innova pumps out some non-sense sometimes but then they drop a jewel like the Thunderbird so don't turn your back. Dave 'Double D nuts' Dunipace is a mad scientist when it comes to distance drivers.

See, I didn't give you bad advice on the Buzzz SS way back then...turns out it just took you a bit to figure out they are dead straight heh. And yes it is very very similar to Mako3.

I have a beefy Star Destroyer, I'm like the 3rd or 4th owner because it was so stable. I just threw it for stupid spike shots and overhands and FH rollers and all sorts of damaging dumb shots for a few months. Until it actually started to hold straight. Now it is my headwind fighter in any conditions, but it actually gets used for normal straight to fade shots and flex shots pretty often whereas before it was so overstable it was almost a joke how it would bank left out of my hand.

Leopards and Teebirds. When I first decided to disc down completely, I forced myself to throw these. first, I hated them, now they are the core of my bag.

Some time ago I found a DX Destroyer at a PIAS. Looked pristine, brand spanking new, and was marked $3.00 so I bought it. It was always too overstable for my arm, so I didn't throw it much. Recently, I found it in a box and took it out to see how it might do as a headwind disc to pair with my Tern. I found that the DX Destroyer flew very well into the wind. Now I have a Pro Destroyer in the bag and throw the DX along with it on the range.

I never hated the Leopard3, but preferred the River. Then the Rivers got flippy, I got tired of buying new ones, so I started throwing the Leo3 (Champ and Star), and it has really grown on me. The Hannah Leatherman Leo3s are awesome, as well.

DX Destroyers are ridiculous bombers. I never really got into them, but I remember throwing one in the field a couple times about a decade ago. Massive S curve flex shots with great glide. DX Destroyers fly in ways stars and champions can't even dream about.

That said, I hate DX plastic. You don't even have to beat it up for the disc to mysteriously start flipping on you. I was probably nearing 450' with that DX Destroyer. Discs like that have a very small window of effectiveness. Once they beat in too much they turn over no matter how much you hyzer them.

All the discs I hated and don't anymore are super overstable drivers like Firebirds. I'd throw them a long time ago and get zero out of them. I was a new player and didn't understand the concept of throwing something that flew like a brick. Plus, I didn't have the arm for such discs. Now on the course I can pull out a Firebird or a XCal and put it on a very exact line with a hard rip and it'll do what I want.

I think as any player ages and gets better or worse their disc needs/wants will change. Its natural to start hating discs you used to like, and start liking discs you used to hate.

Leopards and Teebirds. When I first decided to disc down completely, I forced myself to throw these. first, I hated them, now they are the core of my bag.

I was never into Teebirds until fairly recently. I used to step up from mids to speed 10 drivers. After a while I got tired of trying to throw a soft Starfire shot when I could throw a hard fairway driver shot and get the same thing. I added a Teebird to the bag and immediately became more accurate on the shots where I'd been throwing the Starfire at 60%.

I'm still not at all a Leopard fan. Its a feel thing. The rim is so small I can't grip the thing properly. I also don't really like slow, understable drivers.

I'm still not at all a Leopard fan. Its a feel thing. The rim is so small I can't grip the thing properly. I also don't really like slow, understable drivers.

This is the reason I still have Patriots lying around, but I've been forcing myself to use leopards because I wanted something more replaceable. I never wanted to lose my Pats and pay too much for them in legend plastic.

This is the reason I still have Patriots lying around, but I've been forcing myself to use leopards because I wanted something more replaceable. I never wanted to lose my Pats and pay too much for them in legend plastic.

I've dabbled with Leopards, but I simply hate the way they feel in my hand. Plus, I'm not looking for an understable disc of that speed.

Champion Leopards are OK. They're stable enough to hold a flat line on a pretty hard rip. Any other plastic Leopards flip over and never come back.

Disc I did not like but now I do, is the Magnet. I though the disc when I first saw them would be awkward and slow so I never tried the disc as a putter. Slow is right but in a good way a smooth and slow. Now I have 2 Jawbreaker Magnets both main Magnets while still having a old Pro D hard Magnet pre 2005 stiff disc in my bag. Instead I used a Rubber Putter 166 grams but that was given to me by an uncle as first disc, then a G9i Wizard 172 grams, and last a Soft X Putt'r 173-174 grams I won from a tournament in 2005. I liked the Putt'r best but the Soft X plastic concaved on the flight plate making the disc fly without glide so I had to putt harder to get the disc to fly, often going past the basket. The Rubber Putter was too domed for the high winds of South Dakota though I think weight had more to do with that but the glide was too much for the Rubber Putter.

All Magnets I use are 174-175 grams.

Last edited:
Relay. I really hated that disc after the first day playing Mt Airy during the circuit. Having to use that disc on a somewhat windy day playing a long hilly course... ugh

As the weeks went on, and it starting serving the role it was intended to, I realized what an awesome disc it is...

...I didn't even bother doing the circuit the year the Signal came out. I knew all that would happen that day was me getting really mad.

Comets - They just didn't feel good, and now the grip/feel aren't a problem.

All beaded putters - I used to prefer McPro Aviars but now KC Pros and Wizards are the ones that get used during rounds.

I feel like I have more examples of discs I liked that I grew out of, or that were just duds (or maybe just haven't won me over yet?)

Inspire. Bought it for an US slot. Didn't work. Once I realized it was just a seasoned Clash, I found lots of uses for it.

I thought all putters had to fade. Then I used my daughters Swan 2 in a pinch. Now I putt with Swan 2s...

KC Aviar. It was my first putter, and I never got used to how the bead felt in my hand for putting. Then I started throwing putters off the tee, and what do you know, it's great for that.

Latest posts