• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Ever hated a disc...and then you didn't?

Firebird. At First it was like "all it does is cut WAY left, whats the point" until I got more experience and played tighter wooded courses. Technical shots, headwind skips, etc - every disc has its uses. Playing in a open field-type course does not allow the Firebird to shine all that much

All beaded putters - I used to prefer McPro Aviars but now KC Pros and Wizards are the ones that get used during rounds.

KC Aviar. It was my first putter, and I never got used to how the bead felt in my hand for putting. Then I started throwing putters off the tee, and what do you know, it's great for that.

I avoided beaded putters until I changed my putting style to more spin putting, and the beads suddenly were good for me.

I have a love/hate relationships with many discs, so where to narrow it down?

TeeBird - I hate the stabilization that happened to TeeBirds a few years back. Several people keep telling me that it did not happen, but I swear it has. I started throwing TeeBirds before PFN was a thing because obviously there were no flight numbers on them then. They were straight with moderate glide and moderate fade. They were workable and could accurately carve up any fairway. Since they were stabilized, apparently for bigger throwers who wanted a TeeBird to be like how they used to be when they did not throw as hard, I hated the big dump of a fade and how quickly it jumped into it. I throw 380-400, so it is not a matter of being a noodle arm unless I am being compared to those that TeeBird now seems to be for.

I suppose I could always just season one in, but, to be honest, I do not have the patience because I want results now, and I wanted the same results in case I need to replace it. I play so many solo and practice rounds, that losing a disc is a real possibility.

However to all this, I really liked how PFN TeeBirds fly, especially Star, doubly especially if they are a little seasoned in. They are dead straight, have decent glide, and definitely hold lines. Very accurate. I have five or six PFN Star TeeBirds. Now, as much as I love them, the hate comes back in. These TeeBirds like to fly about 8-12 feet off the ground, and I play a lot of courses with hanging branches. They have a tendency to get caught up in them, and thus the reason I like to throw 5-8 feet off the ground. I will never trade my PFN Star Birds, but they are not in the bag. Instead, I use G-PDs and G-TeeBird3s. They have similar lines and stability to my PFNs, but they do not jump up in the air like the PFNs.

Swords - I have about a dozen Swords. It seems during the summer, they have way too much flip and turn, and I am not good at hyzerflipping. I want something I can rip flat and it will do what I want from that orientation. Powered down, Swords have great control, decent glide, and respectable distance, but they are too wide-rimmed for a control driver, whereas I would use my T3 or PD. However to all this, during the winter, the Swords are the best disc I have in the bag. Nothing can carve up a fairway like the Sword. I am talking pinpoint control with very little lateral movement. Maybe the combination of the wintry air and reduced foot work and body motion brings them back into my comfort zone.

Other notables I have such a relationship with are my: ESP Nebulas, Gold Line Pures, Star Gazelles, and Lucid Trespasses.

I haven't really thrown Teebirds long enough to know how they flew 10 years ago. I have a recent run champion Teebird in my bag and I'm really digging it. I throw around 400' as well and don't really find it to be dumpy/hooky when it fades. I just put it on a flat line and it holds for a long while.

One thing I will say is that Teebirds like to be thrown hard, at least champion ones do. When I toss that Teebird I want to to stay flat and not start drifting right. A champion Teebird takes a fair amount of arm to throw hard and flat.

Now, if you're looking to throw a Teebird and have it hold a straight line for as long as possible, check out the G* Teebird or Teebird 3. They have a tick less stability and better glide than champions.

I've only thrown 1 Sword. It reminded me a bit of a Trespass. Same speed as a Destroyer, but more high speed turn. The Sword is also domey and glides great. I'd probably have to pull the Surge out of my bag to find room for a disc like the Sword.

I hated the Comet and the Stratus, because all I could get from them was turn-n-burn... until I realized that I was the problem. :eek:

Wasn't till I cleaned my form up a bit that I understood how great those molds really are.

Last edited:
As for discs I out grew, Leopard is one. I could throw them and do a slight S shot at one point. I tried a new Champion Leopard from a Cousin as my DX was in the only plastic it was made in at the time I got mine and was wearing out. The Leopard still did a S shot but ended right too far from where I released the disc same problem I was having with mine. So far that is the only disc I have really outgrown.

Now for discs I should not have ever been using besides Putters I mention in my above post are, DX Stingray and Z Wasp. Stingray is that if you have winds at or over 10 mph the disc will go in the direction of the throw as I can't max power the Stingray without the disc flying odd. The Z Wasp does not have the glide the other plastics do and my special tournament edition Elite X Wasp, got from a tournament was not heavy enough to power rip at 165-167 grams. I like about 170-172 grams for my faster midrange and above. Exceptions are the Champion Destroyers I have I like 170 grams or lighter, best driver is 167 grams and the wind version is 170 grams and the Shark/Shark 3 around 175 gram weight. Both my Shark 3's are 176 grams and the Sharks both are 175 grams.

For me that disc is the Leopard. It was always too flippy for me, until I found them in Star and Champ. My Star was a lightweight (156) one, that was perfect for US lines, and shots where I didn't have a bunch of room to throw. It tought me that every disc didn't have to be max weight. My other example is a 175 Champ, that is one of the older beefy runs that are nearly indestructible. It is what the TeeBird sounds, like it used to be, straight, with a small fade. It will hold an anhyzer line to the ground. It will hold a hyzer and give a TeeBird like flight.

Pro Leopard.
Had one when I first started out absolutely hated it. Then lost it, and found it 2 months later and still hated it, thus subsequently, sold it.... Fast forward 2 years, found one and it's now my go to understable fairway for turnovers, hyzer flips, etc.

The DDX fits that bill for me. I threw a friends s-line when they first came out and everyone was raving about them. The rim is what I didn't like. I was throwing Destroyers at the time. I stopped throwing Destroyers last year and needed a replacement, so I gave the DDX a second chance when my buddy let me borrow his s-line for a round. It was such easy distance and flew really straight. The rim didn't really bother me this time around. I now bag 2 s-lines and sometimes swap in a c-line depending on the course I play. The DDX is a great counterpart to my PD2s.

Firebird. At First it was like "all it does is cut WAY left, whats the point" until I got more experience and played tighter wooded courses. Technical shots, headwind skips, etc - every disc has its uses. Playing in a open field-type course does not allow the Firebird to shine all that much

I used to hate the firebird for the same reasons too.

I have to disagree with a firebird being not shining in open field situations. You can use firebirds on open taller hyzers that spike towards the pin/green that are sumultaneous field ace runs/within the circle sticks.

Those 200-250ft open field shots with unpredictable winds, or no winds at all the firebird will act the same way when you hyzer it in. Especially if you're not feeling confident smoothing a putter or mid you can just aim away and let that firebird go and not blow past it like a glidey putter/midrange/fairway can.

Probably every disc at some point in time lol
A few years ago I hated the tee bird but now days the TB is probably my favorite disc to throw.

Tee birds are always super reliable!

The Nova.

It just looked so wonky, but after spending some time with it, they are amazing upshot discs.
I avoided the Nova for YEARS. I thought it looked like a toy. After I actually tested one out it made its way into my bag. Been in my bag since then.

Comet and Nova for me. The Comet was due to the beaded mid-range feel. I just hated it. Then they came out in my favorite plastic, Ti and I fell in love. The nova just felt too deep in the beginning before I learned how to throw/drive with putters. After lots and lots of putter rounds, I understood just what a laser beam this disc really is.

Zephyr.

Used to laugh whenever I saw one and think how stupid they were.

Star Zephyrs are gnna change my life.

I got a star teebird at a tournament one time. I threw it once and it did star teebird things, straight with a good fade. I thought a good disc was one that you could throw dead straight so I didn't see any point in a disc that always ended up left... I wish I could go back and kick my former self for getting rid of it and other ones like a beautiful blue star thunderbird.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Right now I hate the FD. I don't think I'll like it. The c-line plastic is too slippery for me. I might stick it in a pot of boiling water.

Dagger - I thought a shallow putter would do me the most favors initially, and do enjoy a good Judge. Wrote off the deep dish options until I was casually practicing with a Wizard in the rotation and finding that I got more consistent hand feel.

Tried a Dagger in a shop and it instantly clicked. Did not like throwing them outside the circle initially but several touchy approaches later with a soft Dagger and I'm really coming around. Still not my first choice as a true "driving putter" but there are plenty of good options there.

Quick tally of most common answers to OP's question - there are about 5 people who have since come around to the teebird, and the most common with about 6 is the leopard. Bit of a surprise - seems like the most beginner friendly driver in existence.

Yeah pretty much all of them! When I started out... Let's just say I'm way too competitive to have truly enjoyed myself at that stage. I was hooked and determined, but did a lot of swearing those first few months!