• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

It's not so much the bad service, it's that I have no other option. So every month I pay $160 for a data limited service that doesn't work when the weather is raining or cloudy, or we burn through our data because our devices had to download updates.

I'm pretty psyched to get to start paying $80 for unlimited internet AND they're throwing in 150 channels of TV for the first year. (I've never had cable TV since I've been out on my own.). Honestly though, the only thing I think I'll like watching is the occasional Reds game, which I've never been able to do.

I had quite a few customers who had to rely on Hughes Net. The struggle was real! Worst aspect was the way they would throttle you if you used "too much bandwidth". It was better than the Mexican satellite service I had for about 4 months.

Be careful with those 150 channels of TV, they will suck your time away if you let them. :\

Shirked mowing last night to throw a round at home with a couple guys (Happy B-day Joe!) who have helped at HR quite a bit and a coworker who's trying to get back into playing (he's in his early 60's I think.) This was also the first time I was personally able to play the entire 18 hole course straight through. It's quite a good workout up and down, all around this place, and that pleased me to no end. Scoring spread seemed pretty good throughout but I do need to grab that scorecard and log the scores into my excel sheet to really analyze it.

Had a great damn time watching all the different ways people attack things, seeing things come into play for the first time like the dude that went long and right on hole 6 and ended up in the creek.(First to be baptized!) It was especially cool to see that same dude's face when we stepped up to hole 10 and I pointed out to the basket almost 600' away, down 80' of elevation, then back up 40', and said "See that through the trees, that's where we're going."

Bummed to see the grass/weeds popping up in the woods already, need to schedule a work day with as many weedeaters as possible!

Having singles scores logged has really helped me dial in my course. After two years I was shocked to see I was the only one to birdie a hole that I had intended to be an easy get. Hole #4's red tee yielded 10% birdies, 71% pars in 2015. I moved the tee 60' shorter and it scored 30% birdies, 58% pars with 1 ace the following season.

Just starting our 6th season at Elk Hill and I'm really excited about how the course is playing. I've been slowly trading out the baskets I don't like for Discatcher Pro 28 targets. Making small tweaks to holes. Finally hired a tree spade to move two good sized pine trees that made hole #2 fluky and I can't wait to see how the scores reflect the change.

Extremely excited to get out with the tractor I just got. Ground is muddy due to days of rain but I've been doing all my dirt work with hand tools and that has limited the scope of some projects.

Finally hired a tree spade to move two good sized pine trees that made hole #2 fluky and I can't wait to see how the scores reflect the change.

You hired one of those tree spade guys? I've always been amazed by those things, especially the really big ones. If you don't mind me asking, what was the pricing like? How big were the trees? If I'm thinking of the right trees, they weren't huge, but a decent size, 15-20' tall?

And congrats on the tractor, I've been amazed at all the ways I've been able to put mine to use now that I have a dedicated mower.

Just starting our 6th season at Elk Hill and I'm really excited about how the course is playing..

I just added this to my Wish List. I hope to make it down there some time this summer!

There's definitely things to be learned from visitors to a course. Watching people who throw better or worse or different style that you do, to see how they play a hole, or how often they mess up---or end up with boring layups, because the distance is all wrong.

And tallying individual hole results after a tournament. Our most common result from this is on holes that we thought might be too easy for better players, turned out not to be.

You hired one of those tree spade guys? I've always been amazed by those things, especially the really big ones. If you don't mind me asking, what was the pricing like? How big were the trees? If I'm thinking of the right trees, they weren't huge, but a decent size, 15-20' tall?

And congrats on the tractor, I've been amazed at all the ways I've been able to put mine to use now that I have a dedicated mower.

I paid $200 per tree. They were a bit over 10' tall ponderosa pines. At the bigger end of what he thought he could move.

Stoked on the tractor, it is well on the way to paying for itself. Had a septic issue and used the backhoe to dig a trench for new pipe from the tanks to the leach pond.

This thread needs an update...

#11 is quickly becoming the hole that's taking the most man hours to get it where I've envisioned.

Last fall we knew the general shape of the hole, but only started some very rough fairway shaping, mostly on the first half of the hole. Nov./Dec. we started to open it up and set the transitional area/landing zone. This Spring we started fine tuning, but also left all the debris laying in the 2nd half fairway as we simply ran out of time. We never got back to it to clean it out and opened the course with the hole playing to the landing zone, so for the last few months what should have been a par 4 has been a par 3.

We made a huge step towards it being a par 4 this weekend as we cleaned out the second fairway. We have a few large piles ready for chipping and/or burning, but they're organized and I hope to clear those out soon.

Panoramic pic - Late Nov. 2018
Other two pics are from Sat. Pic with large brown pile is looking up towards the landing zone (powerline clearing, now completely clear cut with no cedars), the pic with the tools in frame is looking from the mouth towards the green. We plan on cleaning out the entire right side of the fairway to that it's eventually a split fairway for the second throw. From landing zone you'll have 2 fairway choices. Still a ways to go, but at least the lower line is mostly open now.

Attachments

• IMG_20181125_155114990.jpg
    IMG_20181125_155114990.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190622_134616939_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190622_134616939_HDR.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190622_133935464_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190622_133935464_HDR.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 24
Alright, my course is probably going to be a fun 9-12 hole course depending on how it shapes up. Woods are THICK right now and need some serious work to cut a handful of holes in there.

As it sits, I've got a fun 4 right now. Using what is clear and playing with pin and tee locations it's what I've got. I have 3 actual baskets, and a janky 4th "basket" that is little more than a target, but it's fun to throw at anyway.

"Hole 1" in pics. About 280', the ceiling is low, and its thought to get all the way there in 1 shot.

Attachments

• 8D657CF7-FFE0-4393-A1C3-3E10F924D099.jpg
    8D657CF7-FFE0-4393-A1C3-3E10F924D099.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 4F94A613-0C1F-4C05-87DE-8A708D295035.jpg
    4F94A613-0C1F-4C05-87DE-8A708D295035.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 21
"Hole 2"

Same basket. This time over the pond and through a gap to the pin. It's tighter than it looks and often blind because of the shadow from the trees. You can barely see the top of the basket, on a good light day. Alternatively to the gap you can lay up to the right and hit the much wider tunnel for a 3. Kicks in to the pond are very possible. I. The future I want to push this tee back in to the woods about another 100', forcing a layup before the pond then this shot, or a baller move long dead straight with water in the middle tunnel shot.

"Hole 3"

Ignore the putting basket I have out right now. This hole isn't going to stick around, and I. The event of a party will probably be moved to take the house out of possible "wtf was that" grip locks. About 350', slightly downhill after the flag pole. Big forehand or a well executed flex around the big pine to the right are the plays. Pin is tough to see, but it's in a nice flat clearing, but has thick brush to the left and tall grass long. It can be a tough approach if you don't make it past the pine tree.

Attachments

• 128AC6BB-194B-4E89-A240-376A9E9F9EAF.jpg
    128AC6BB-194B-4E89-A240-376A9E9F9EAF.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 156A9A34-0354-4CA2-B48F-3A9B69A8C66F.jpg
    156A9A34-0354-4CA2-B48F-3A9B69A8C66F.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 16
  • D328C137-E9E1-4075-B294-332D2A5E652B.jpg
    D328C137-E9E1-4075-B294-332D2A5E652B.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 16
"Hole 4"

Not pictured. It's a top of the world from the top of the driveway to the second basket. Haven't measured but I think it's about 525'. It's a fun shot, with tall grass along it for a good 300'. It doesn't really come in to play, but it can get in your head. There is a landing zone starting 250' down the driveway, that is blind from the tee. It's downhill so it's easy enough to hit. The pin is reachable, some times, but not for me anyway, on a perfect full flight shot. Downhill helps a lot, I've hit probably circle 2 a couple times.

Anyway, that's what I've got for right now. I haven't worked the other 2 targets in yet, but I have some ideas. Summer is fully going here now, so clearing new lanes isn't going to happen until October. Hopefully by then I'll have a decent tractor to help. I'm toying around with an 120-150' hole right now. Very short, but it's only reachable with a high hyzer with a fairly understable disc through a hole in the tree canopy about 50' from the tee. If you don't hit this 15' or so in diameter hole, you are taking 3 at best. It's a pretty fun hole, played it with a couple friends a few times.

Really looking forward to fall and things dying down. I'm fairly busy with many other things in life. But my goal in the next year is cutting in 2 holes and rearranging to have a legit 4-5 hole loop. If I do that for the next 3 years, and add baskets as I go, I'll have a 9 in no time.

Really looking forward to fall and things dying down. I'm fairly busy with many other things in life. But my goal in the next year is cutting in 2 holes and rearranging to have a legit 4-5 hole loop. If I do that for the next 3 years, and add baskets as I go, I'll have a 9 in no time.

Seems like a pretty reasonable timeframe. Best of luck DirtyBirds!

All these years of seeing bits & pieces of Granite Mountain in photos, now I get to see the whole thing. Two thoughts come to mind:

(1) I'd rate it 4.5, just from the video. That looks like so much fun.

(2) If you have a work party to pick up rocks on the fairways, I'm not coming.

All these years of seeing bits & pieces of Granite Mountain in photos, now I get to see the whole thing. Two thoughts come to mind:

(1) I'd rate it 4.5, just from the video. That looks like so much fun.

(2) If you have a work party to pick up rocks on the fairways, I'm not coming.

Remove all the rocks and Granite Mountain would become Muddy Plain.

Response from David Sauls above is enough praise to carry you for some time Nate! Much love from here; though, I'm not at all sure I'm going to make it your way...or, if, at my age now, I would survive! :)

As far as the landfill goes; that just happened because SonicGuy is a t(f)ool...

Last edited:
A little shy of our 15th anniversary, we cemented a basket in place today, replacing a portable.

Call us tentative. Say it was a long trial period. Ponder whether it took us that long to be sure that we wanted disc golf.

At this rate, we'll have all permanent baskets by the year 2394.