• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

Between the tariffs on our manufacturer in China and Covid my long term financial situation was looking questionable, so I opted to change my course to pay to play on here & Udisc at the beginning of June. We normally get 3 or 4 groups booking a tee time per season, I've already had 12 groups or individuals come through since the change. It has more than paid for fuel if not the time spent grounds-keeping. So the course is getting more play and the donations keep the wife on board with hosting roving golfers. Kind of funny, I always thought the pay to play model would discourage people from reaching out, so far it has encouraged them. It also seems like the lock-down has really grown the sport with people looking for something to do. and don't worry, everything looks like it is going to be ok for us as far as finances and work.

We're gearing up hardcore for our first ever tourney this coming Sunday. We filled up last week, a full 2 weeks before the event and we're sitting on a half dozen on the waitlist.

The course is looking particularly nice, especially for this time of year when I usually have it closed due to all the vegetation growth. I'm hoping I can keep it playable into the fall without a shutdown. I might have to get out there and take a bunch of new photos of all the holes.

Jeeez. Nothing going on in here since August....

Quick Hidden Ridge update:

I've really been exploring and pondering the 9 (or maybe more?) hole expansion into the northern half of the property lately. There's already some rough trails but it's gonna take some serious work just to get things moving. There's a couple spots where I may need to build a bridge before I can do anything else otherwise we won't be able to get the tractor where we'll need it. I still think this portion of the property is the most desirable in regards to disc golf design, but definitely not the most accessible. Big creek, big elevation changes, and that north field which has turned into a field of 10'+ cedars in the time since we bought the place in 2014.

Out walking the dog yesterday on my lunch break and ended up wandering into the area (western portion of the property, roughly 8-9 acres) where I was hoping to add a 9 to 12 hole "putter course" this year. I was hunting property markers to figure out my boundaries, but also trying to scout future DG holes. Problem is, most of that area is an absolute nightmare. Just a boatload of dead ash trees, fallen ash trees, and thick briar patches. I don't have the energy to deal with any of that yet so I think I'll push the expansion of the original course more.

We're planning for a 36 hole layout birdie bash style event around the time of the redbud bloom, so mid-April. I'll be utilizing every basket and teepad I have (24 on the course, 2 practice baskets) as well as bringing in 10 additional baskets from friends. I think the layout will be tons of fun and I hope it draws well.

Can't believe this thread took a 5-month nap. Well, since April we sort-of finished those last 4 holes we were working on, so that at our October tournament we had two 18-hole layouts.

The "sort-of" part is that one hole needs the tee backed up another 100 feet, and will need a bit of a construction project to build that teepad on the hillside. We had a good day chainsawing a couple of weekends ago, then the plague struck and work stopped.

In the meantime, a friend bought some land and is putting in a course, on a much quicker timescale than we did. We did a little consulting back in November -- that is, we walked around spouting our opinions -- and he has an inaugural tournament coming up later this month.

You know, the more you build, the more you have to maintain.

Let me know if you ever figure out how to stop building. I'll be sure to do the same.

The "sort-of" part is that one hole needs the tee backed up another 100 feet, and will need a bit of a construction project to build that teepad on the hillside. We had a good day chainsawing a couple of weekends ago, then the plague struck and work stopped..

I hope your brother is doing well and getting through things ok. Seems folks around my office are starting to take things a bit more seriously as we've finally had enough folks missing significant amounts of time that people have taken notice. (I should say, my company has done a very good job overall.) My counterpart in our architecture dept. missed almost a month due to catching Covid, another in that dept. is now out, and a handful of our upper leadership got hit with it right after the holidays. It's a shame it's taken people this long to catch on.

One day, I'm gonna have to hook up with you and get down there to play Hidden Ridge.

Please do. If you happen to make it down here for a Reds/Tigers game this year you should definitely hit me up. With enough notice I'd be happy to take a day off work and throw a round a round or two with you.

This thread needs a couple new pictures too.

This is the mess that awaits whenever I decide to push that putter course. Downed trees everywhere with briars between.
attachment.php

Here's a pano. shot of the hole most folks tend to mention as their favorite. Hole 10 - Powerline Alley. Tee is up top the hill on the right through that alley in the trees, basket is across the creek and up the hill to the left.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20210202_131712416_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210202_131712416_HDR.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20210201_124110255.jpg
    IMG_20210201_124110255.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 140
Not much to report here, winter has us in its icy grip. Too old to cut trees in a foot of snow.

Wally is not too happy about the ice on his pond.

Attachments

• Feb 2021 snow river.jpg
    Feb 2021 snow river.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 15
  • frozen wally.jpg
    frozen wally.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 21
We're planning for a 36 hole layout birdie bash style event around the time of the redbud bloom, so mid-April. I'll be utilizing every basket and teepad I have (24 on the course, 2 practice baskets) as well as bringing in 10 additional baskets from friends. I think the layout will be tons of fun and I hope it draws well.

Yep, we have it on our throwing schedule and will be there so long as I'm not stuck working all day that day. Hopefully I'm not working at all and can finally check Pinhook off our list as well (kinda far for us).

This is one of my favorite threads on DGCR, I love seeing everyone working on their courses/dreams.

And to stay on topic, this is what I've been working on cleaning up for the past month. Came down on 2's fairway and blocked 3's tee as well. This yielded four cords of wood . . .

picture.php

Owning a wooded course will teach that a tree, having the options of all points on the compass, will generally choose the most inconvenient heading when it's ready to fall.

I'm starting to think that they can read calendars, and recognize the 2 weeks before tournaments, as well.

Hope you guys can make it Dan.

I swear owning a wooded course is 90% picking up sticks. Every walk I take I'm picking up sticks and tossing them off the fairways. Every. Single. Day.

Also, just turned up a possible lead on (9) used discatchers and got approval from the financial dept.....that northern expansion may get started soon-ish.

I really have to question my intelligence from time to time....

Back in 2015 when we purchased the old baskets from Coyote Trace just outside of Louisville, the former owner included his homebrewed PVC basket sleeves. I used up all (and broke a couple) of the sleeves as of a year or so ago when I finally put the last of the 18 Discatchers in place. The sleeves he made were pretty sweet, a nice solid oak turned point that slipped into the end of the 2"PVC. Turning more of those points sounds like a bunch of work that I don't care to do so I've been avoiding it.

For some reason it finally dawned on me that a standard 2" PVC cap fitting would likely work just as well and would save a ton of time. I cut the pipe to length, drill out a 1/2 hole in the middle of the cap so water has a chance to seep out, glue the pieces together, and it's done. Costs all of about $5 each. Since I'm predrilling a pilot hole in the ground with a bulb auger it doesn't even need a point. I made two during lunch today to test it out and it worked like a champ. I have baskets in brand new long positions on holes 6 and 7.

Anyway, all these alternate pin locations I've been wanting to add for the last few years are about to hit the course in a flurry.