• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] FAF Star Teebird? Or maybe Eagle?

jjmiller

Eagle Member
I've always liked a regular Star Firebird for most forehand shots. And I've had a FAF Star Firebird since the first year I started playing that is a great thumber/skip disc. But on a few local holes, that FAF FB is just too much beef, and a regular FB(or PD/Thunderbird) might go too long and potentially OB. What I really wish I had is a Star Teebird that's about the same stability as a regular Star Firebird. Or a shorter Firebird.

So, anyone ever seen a Star Teebird that's super flat, firm, and with a high PLH? Or maybe even a Star Eagle or Teebird3 that's super beef? The new Discmania FD2 "prototype" was close in flight, but beat in pretty quickly to be really straight and then was flying longer than I'd like.

A Resistor is probably what I'm looking for, but vanity means trying to find an Innova disc for my old Innova bag that is already full of Innova plastic from the days when I didn't know there was anything else...

I just put a Star Eagle in the bag and really like it for S/OS fairway duty. Holds up nicely into headwinds FH and BH but definitely not FB or Banshee OS. Haven't tried one but have heard the jolly launcher champion Eagles are solid beef.

Sounds like you're looking for a flat banshee.

It is my understanding that Banshees are never flat anymore. Is this incorrect? Also, they don't come in Star plastic, which I would strongly prefer if possible...

In terms of flight, the Champion Banshee is what you want, even if it's not ideal in flatness. I like Star better than Champ, too, but the Champ Banshees just work.

You might try a max weight Infinite Discs Exodus in S-blend (which is Star). It's allegedly an Eagle-L, and I use mine (a lot) for hyzers in the open.

It is my understanding that Banshees are never flat anymore. Is this incorrect? Also, they don't come in Star plastic, which I would strongly prefer if possible...

I'm not really sure, but I've heard the same. Just sounded like exactly what you're describing. I've also heard the Millennium EXP-X to be recommended as a good banshee replacement, but I don't believe those are available in star either.

I've used a premium Gateway Blaze in this slot for years.
The last Banshees were domey, I don't think Innova runs champion Banshees very often.

For me a FAF Firebird is a very short disc. I can throw mids and putters farther than it no problem, so you essentially have to go insanely OS like the Firebird and slower to get the same thing but less distance.

The Justice is the only disc I have thrown that is in that realm of stability but significantly shorter, however it is shaped like a midrange. I have not thrown a Resistor or Banshee.

You described a Tyrant, but I don't think there is anyone selling them ATM.

For me a FAF Firebird is a very short disc. I can throw mids and putters farther than it no problem, so you essentially have to go insanely OS like the Firebird and slower to get the same thing but less distance.

The Justice is the only disc I have thrown that is in that realm of stability but significantly shorter, however it is shaped like a midrange. I have not thrown a Resistor or Banshee.

I agree. I've never even attempted max distance with this FAF Star FB,(except thumbers) but I wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't get it to 300'. I can get a regular Star FB to 300' easily, and 350' if I really crank on one- especially with some height and anhyzer.

And as you said, a Justice can do Firebird things but shorter. I have to throw them about as hard as I can to get them to 275'.

What I'm looking for is something that I can throw a "normal, full throw" and get about 260'-280' without having to worry about turning it over in wind or on my sloppier days. A normal full throw with a normal Firebird would go past that sometimes. A normal full throw with a Justice doesn't consistently get there. A Resistor is probably the answer. But I was just hoping maybe there are Star Teebirds, Eagles, or Teebird3's out there that might be freakishly FAF/overstable like the freakishly FAF Firebird I have.

Ok, I see where you're at. That's a tricky spot. I've thrown very OS metal flake Teebird 3's that would take powering down to 275' with a consistent flight...they wouldn't get dumpy like a powered down FB but they wouldn't also overglide like a normal Teebird would in that range. That's an iffy suggestion though because I don't know how fast it'd pick up glide, and I do think it would fly at least as far as an FAF Firebird at the same power input...just it would power down more predictably.

I use a Zone for that shot for myself...if I throw it firmly I know it's about 270' for me, but it's not as insanely OS as a Justice that it will meathook on you if you let up on it at all, and it is clearly a distance class below the Firebird for me. I've never had a Zone show any turn for me ever, but at the same time it won't slice through wind like a fairway or control driver shape will, so it will definitely lose some predictability when throwing it hard in heavy wind. Honestly though when it's 15+MPH I'll generally just throw a Firebird for my midrange shots anyways.

Really though I don't think any of those are perfect suggestions for what you want, and I've never tried the Resistor. But I do prefer the Zone over the Justice in my bag, since I can power it down and still predict it, yet never worry about it flipping. If I needed more trick shots like a short range power skipper or something that would flex out of any approach line then I can see the advantages of the Justice's stupid stability, but as an actual thrower I don't like how hard it requires to be thrown.

I'm not really sure, but I've heard the same. Just sounded like exactly what you're describing. I've also heard the Millennium EXP-X to be recommended as a good banshee replacement, but I don't believe those are available in star either.

This is what I've used to replace my flat Banshee. It's alright, alright, alright. The luster Quantum plastic doesn't feel like a very Champy Champ so it might not feel too off if you're used to Star. Everybody's hands are different though.

I still want flat Banshees to come back though.

Yeah I'd say check out an MVP Resistor . Or some runs of the Tour Series Color Glow TEEBIRDS are pretty darn flat, like the Jen Allen ones? I think - but yeah those are my 2 recommendations

I've never seen a flat Banshee in the wild except for the one I picked up that's like 148g.

There are not a lot of options for slower FAF firebird - the easiest to get a hold of consistently is probably a Resistor.

I was looking for something similar for a while, and determined that a flat Spark would do the trick too.

^ Yeah or some Teebird3's are pretty flat a nicely OS - My Fav it an early Glow Champ - but the newer T3's almost have slight dome and aren't as OS so....idk....check out that REsistor tho ;)

You are looking for a 175g 11x Eagle X mold.

Board flat, they turn but fade hard. They all fly the same and all are beefy. Although I just had one crack in 45 degree weather.

Right now I have like 4 or so X-Outs that I am pretty sure are late 11x or 12x PFN and I don't think they'll crack. Faf, gummy, but not as brittle. They are far, far more overstable than my true 11x's.

If you throw a faf, flat, it goes laser straight then dump fades. Also, I think Eagles feel similar to firebirds, but teebirds are a whole different animal. In my opinion Teebirds are far less forgiving and predictable, especially for windy days.

Once you get used to eagles you'll find it replacing mids. They can do so many different lines depending on the angle of release. I love anny flexs thrown lightly on for weird 250-330ft approaches/holes. I only have a 10 disc bag and 2-3 of my discs are beat in eagles in various stages.

Whippets are amazing, but they have far different uses, and I have never seen, nor want to see, a faf whippet. The dome makes it amazing for trick shots, rollers, skips, and other goofy as hell things.