• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fairway driver choices???

CKunkel

Hey guys...

Bear with me for a sec... I've been playing about a year and have gotten my bag to a pretty good spot in the midrange category. I really like the pain / fuse combo for overstable / understable, and have been playing around with a pure and my warlocks for approaches. In addition to that, I have found that a stalker has been a staple in my bag for that next speed up option. I really like how it feels in the hand, etc. Here's the thing... I started pretty much exclusively forehanding destroyers (and still have some in my bag for certain shots), but found my forehand less predictable than I wanted. I have since been working on a backhand, and have been growing it up (so to speak) starting with mids, and slowly working up from there. This is what leads to this post...

I'm wondering what fairway drivers (7-10 speed) might make a good next disc addition to my bag. I've been playing a little with a Jackal (S-line) and a Pro Valkyrie (until it found the water the other weekend... now I'm woefully without the Valk). I've also been throwing a Pro Starfire on a pretty consistent basis (still don't think I have the arm speed for it yet.. I throw it pretty well.. 350ish with a very conisistent fade at the end... haven't been able to get an S-curve out of it yet)

Any advice and recommendations would be great! A buddy of mine is going to let me use a Viking to see how I like that.

I'm just trying to decide on a few new discs to work on this spring and see if they find spots in the bag.

Thanks much,

CKunkel

oh dear, here we go...

for my humble opinion, i'll say skip all the latest and greatest and just throw the classics. you can't beat Eagles, Teebirds, and Leopards. decades of predictability.

Also, can't believe that noone has pointed out that the Valkyrie, Starfire, and Viking aren't Fairway Drivers, they're low speed distance drivers.

Overstable fairway, I recommend a Westside Stag, my new favorite disc. Understable fairway, that's all up to personal preference, probably a Leopard or something, those are notoriously easy to throw.

Do they still make the Viking? Anyway, at 350' that's pretty good. You should check out another Valk. It's a great disc! These are some others you may dig. Beast, Sidewinder, Vision, Striker, Teebird, Eagle, TL, Leopard. The nice thing about these is that they will still find a place in your bag eeven when you increase your arm speed.

oh dear, here we go...

for my humble opinion, i'll say skip all the latest and greatest and just throw the classics. you can't beat Eagles, Teebirds, and Leopards. decades of predictability.

You can't go wrong with those. If you want to try the latest greatest, the patriot by legacy discs is a fantastic fit to the leopard/understable slot.

I'm really into the Rival, I had one good Teebird that I left at the basket at El Dorado and bought two more that were domey flippy horrible Pieces of **** . This Rival flies like my original tb.

Also, can't believe that noone has pointed out that the Valkyrie, Starfire, and Viking aren't Fairway Drivers, they're low speed distance drivers.

Overstable fairway, I recommend a Westside Stag, my new favorite disc. Understable fairway, that's all up to personal preference, probably a Leopard or something, those are notoriously easy to throw.

if you want to be picky, they are "control" drivers, and are basically the new world fairway drivers. i know a lot of people who use valks, vikes, and especially starfires and PDs as fairwayers.

but good job recommending a disc that has been out for less than 24 hours. :thmbup: :doh:

For fairways I like these two setups alot.

Xtreme, Tracker, Escape, River
and
Xtreme, Fresh DX Gazelle, Worn DX Gazelle, Beat DX Gazelle, and River

I am starting to really like my river and vision
Little over lap with them
The vision is a good valk replacement

Pick a combo....

teebird/leopard

eagle x/leopard

teebird/tl

eagle L/teebird

eagle X/TL

teebird/ eagle L

One of these combos will cover any fairway drive you'll ever need to throw.

To the OP:

I'm going to agree with what many other have posted: Eagle-Teebird-Leopard is a time-tested combo. Get 'em in DX and beat them up a little bit to really drive (har har) their true charecteristics out. You'll like them.

If you want to go a little fancier and newer, check out MVPs driver lineup. You sound more than ready for MVP, so I suggest an Amp, Shock and Volt (I prefer the "old" Shocks which fly similar to an Eagle, but the new ones are supposed to be considerably more stable.) The only MVP driver I don't have in the bag is the Amp...we just didn't click but I've seen plenty of people do amazing things with it.

Another suggestion I would make (and I love my fairway drivers) is the new Legacy Patriot. For me, and plenty of others I've seen/talked to, it flies just like a Leopard with a tic more glide and some great feeling plastic. Super-eay to hyzer flip (just like a Leo) andI feel really confident in my ability to shape real golf lines with it. Very fun, easy-to-use disc.

Last suggestion: because you mentioned throwing an FD, I would suggest picking up a Discmania Gremlin. Pretty stable mid-range that I used for years (since it was made by Innova and all I cared about was cool stamps) but it's more of a "tweener" disc. Longer than a mid-range, shorter than a fairway driver. Another really fun, easy disc that will help you transistion from mids to fairway drivers.

Do they still make the Viking?

Viking is still being made and is my go-to distance driver (speed 9). Good thread on the Viking here: http://is.gd/bg7v3q

I've been using the Zombee Ace Race disc as my fairway driver with some good results. It's a pretty predictable flier.

That being said, I'm probably going to pick up a DX Teebird this weekend. :D

Speed 9 fairway drivers

I throw a champ TL, DX teebird and also an amp and 1st run Shock, but now these are considered a "long driver" in the same class as a speed 9. Same as sidewinder, and so forth. As for a sidewinder, some say that experienced players don't throw these, but my beat champ sidewinder is my go-to for deadly laser straight tunnel shots.:) The MVP's I throw hold lines VERY well and I'm starting to learn how much more these can do with different rotational speeds (snap), I'm assuming because of the overmold/gyro technology. (yup, I drank the cool-aid on this one) Anyhow, I guess it's what you would consider fairway drivers, I think a speed 9 or below (till mid range) is a fairway driver, but that's just me!:D

I currently bag teebirds, a leopard and an amp.
The teebird is the consummate fairway disc with glide, stability and a good finish.
I do plan to try out the volt and the new shocks though once it hits the market.

Latest posts