• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Fairway Driver That Can Handle Power?

MikeM

* Condor Member *
I am looking for a good disc to bridge the gap between my midrange and my drivers at about 300-350 feet. My drivers are traveling about 350-425 and my Mids are flying about 250-300. So, I have a gap in my bag and really don't want to power down. So I was wondering what a good disc would be that is overstable enough to handle being thrown hard? I'd like to stay around the 167-170 range in weight. Unlike many, I don't prefer max weight with anything above a midrange. Teebird? Firebird? I am RHBH...

MVP volt.

Even 150 class fissions handle lots of power and still fly stable. A lower 170s stock neutron or proton will start out plenty OS but season in great. The plasma plastic runs are like a seasoned version but still handle 400' of power without turning over.

Last edited:
I am looking for a good disc to bridge the gap between my midrange and my drivers at about 300-350 feet. My drivers are traveling about 350-425 and my Mids are flying about 250-300. So, I have a gap in my bag and really don't want to power down. So I was wondering what a good disc would be that is overstable enough to handle being thrown hard? I'd like to stay around the 167-170 range in weight. Unlike many, I don't prefer max weight with anything above a midrange. Teebird? Firebird? I am RHBH...

I use the Crave, Clash, and Inspire trio. Really elevated my game (Clash especially). River, Leopard, and Teebird are all nice discs too. But I'd go with the Axiom trio. Clash is OS, Crave is slightly OS, and Inspire is understable.

Volt is a really great disc. I get so much distance out of it though, distance driver for me.

Yeah its faster for sure but works great as a control distance driver or fairway. If the OP is looking for a "power" fairway I cant think of a better disc really in that sense. Many are similar but with the new release of fission and plasma, volts are the shiiiiiiz.

I throw in your distance range, I use 159 Teebird's and Firebirds in DX and Champion depending on the wind.

Yeah its faster for sure but works great as a control distance driver or fairway. If the OP is looking for a "power" fairway I cant think of a better disc really in that sense. Many are similar but with the new release of fission and plasma, volts are the shiiiiiiz.

Yeah, I would call it a control distance driver. I barely get more distance with the Insanity. But the Volt flies past the Shock, Amp, Crave, etc. Plasma is really nice, it had a flight that reminded me of the FR N Volt. That's my favorite Volt. I need to try Fission out more, out of the 4 new releases it's the only one that didn't make my bag.

What are you throwing as your distance driver, for reference. And just curious why do you prefer lighter weights?

Teebirds and eagles fly great at that weight. Teebirds are straighter, but a little tougher to shape a bunch of different lines with, eagles are fantastic at shaping all kinds of different lines, both can handle a good wide range of power.

Teebirds and eagles fly great at that weight. Teebirds are straighter, but a little tougher to shape a bunch of different lines with, eagles are fantastic at shaping all kinds of different lines, both can handle a good wide range of power.

I had some good times with my Eagle. Completely forgot about that disc.

. I'd say all of them at that distance. you didn't even say what you wanted them to do. Straight to fade? Yes, tb. Shape lines? Eagle or crave. You'd need to pair it with an understable, less power sensitive neutral disc.

What are you throwing as your distance driver, for reference. And just curious why do you prefer lighter weights?
159g Boss. It generally is the perfect disc that I can throw flat and it will do exactly what it is supposed to. Slight right and fade back on line. Although, I finally flipped it up today and it ended right at about 425 into a slight headwind. But I am blaming the headwind for now and prefer to stay at that weight. I know if it was heavier this would not have happened. But that is why it is my calm condition driver. I do use heavier weights in to strong headwinds for max distance I.E a 168g Boss. I am flipping my 159g Katana too much at the moment for it to have much use. I also deep hyzer a 156g Mamba, but, if I don't get enough hyzer, it will go right and continue to fly right for days. If thrown correct, it shoots out like a cannon and floats forever. Very fun shot. I throw a 169 Teedevil for medium headwind and it feels great. Too much headwind, it is turning over.

Max weight drivers just feel too beefy for me. That is really the best way I can describe it. I find that I can get more distance by upping the speed and lowering the weight. Then I can weight up depending on wind direction. And my release is much more consistent with lower weights. I know that is the opposite of most. For instance, I have a 175 sidewinder and even though it is a slower and more understable disc, it still feels to me, because of the weight, that I need to crank the living hell out of it to get it to fly and so it flys all over the place.

Last edited:
. I'd say all of them at that distance. you didn't even say what you wanted them to do. Straight to fade? Yes, tb. Shape lines? Eagle or crave. You'd need to pair it with an understable, less power sensitive neutral disc.
Something straight that won't flip.

Last edited:
Yeah. Teebird & Eagle. The Legacy Rival (pinnacle) is a great straight flyer you should try. You've tried a teebird right, did you like it?

Or the Eacape or Volt are good too, but sounds like faster than what your going for. Since you don't want to power down at all.

Do some trades in the marketplace and test these out (if you haven't already). That's what I like to do :thmbup:

Latest posts