• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Fake Team Innova Stamps

Some potentially huge legal issues with all this, as well. Wonder what Innova's going to do about it...

Innova is pretty trigger happy with the "lawyer" button so this should be interesting... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I skim over the threads on FB regarding this. It looks like a sh!t storm for some people. Keyboard warriors and Internet detectives are on the case. :popcorn:

The real question is, how often has this happened before and how long until it happens again? Stamps are cool and all, but to value a disc just because of the stamp, especially one added to just any regular old disc, seems strange to me (then again, I collect coins, so who am I to talk). Now I don't think people deserve to be scammed, but it will not be the last time it happens just because to the team stamp.

I'm guessing Innova will send a cease and desist.

Beyond that, probably not worth it unless they continue to do it.

Making somebody a fake team Innova stamp is just a terrible idea, no matter what purpose it's supposed to serve.

And asking somebody to make you one to mark your discs is a lame excuse to cover some shady intentions. Plenty of other designs you could have somebody do to uniquely mark your discs.

Even if not directly involved if I were the disc golf retailer who shared space with the shenanigans I'd be worried about them pulling the plug on my wholesale account. In reality he's the one with something to lose. Cease and desist letter is just a slap on the wrist, unless obviously shenanigans continue.

Beyond that, probably not worth it unless they continue to do it.

Exactly this. They will probably send a cease and desist and hope it keeps this from happening again. As I understand it, their legal case would probably be pretty thin. I mean, they would need to prove some sort of damage was done either monetarily or to their brand. They don't actually SELL team stamped discs and the discs in question were purchased legally before being stamped, so I don't know how they would prove monetary damages. I guess they could go with a trademark lawsuit, but the discs WERE made by Innova so the seller isn't making and selling inferior goods and confusing the marketplace. Given the number of discs sold here, paying potentially hundreds of thousands in legal fees to stop it just wouldn't make any sense.

Actually, the threat they could most easily make is to threaten the merchant that they will no longer do business with them if the stamping continues. THAT is something they could do much more easily and cheaply than a lawsuit.

This was a terrible odea for all involved. There were supposedly 12 discs stamped with the bogus stamp (Brendan's own admission) sucks.

Someone who I believe works for Innova posted on the original Buyer's Feedback Group post.

He said he contacted the people who did it and said he was confident that all 16 discs would be retrieved from the people who bought them and destroyed.

Happy Easter, y'all. Here's an egg for this thread:

Stampgate-thundy2.jpg

Looking for more information/resources on the history of the Innova "team stamp". When/why did the team stamp begin? What was the actual policy between Innova & team players regarding reselling/trading team stamp discs? Was this policy different than the resale/trade policy on non-team stamp discs that Innova gave to team members?

Have there been any other instances of fraud/ collectible item forgery related to golf discs? I haven't been able to unearth much other than this incident.

Any leads appreciated. Thanks!

Looking for more information/resources on the history of the Innova "team stamp". When/why did the team stamp begin? What was the actual policy between Innova & team players regarding reselling/trading team stamp discs? Was this policy different than the resale/trade policy on non-team stamp discs that Innova gave to team members?

Have there been any other instances of fraud/ collectible item forgery related to golf discs? I haven't been able to unearth much other than this incident.

Any leads appreciated. Thanks!

There's a local guy who does quite questionable things both on and off the course, and he's done at least 2 counterfeit dyes that I know of since both are in my possession. One is a Hike Trifly, and the other is a dyed Team Innova stamp, though the team stamp is obvious on a wiped tourney stamp. I'll have to figure out a way to post them after I find them.

Innova is pretty trigger happy with the "lawyer" button so this should be interesting... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

The C&D:

It has come to our attention that you have produced or sold products bearing the Innova name, herein referred to as the Mark. Because these products were not manufactured by INNOVA, any such creation or sales constitute trademark infringement and unfair competition.

We hereby demand that you immediately cease any further duplication and distribution of products bearing the Mark. We further demand that you provide INNOVA with an immediate and complete accounting of all revenues and profits you have received as a result of sales or other distribution of products bearing the Mark to date, the number of products you have produced, the locations where all such products are located, and the identity of any person or firm to whom you have sold such products.

These demands are without waiver of INNOVA's right to seek damages, injunctive relief, and any other rights to which INNOVA may be entitled under applicable law.

Depending on how prompt and thorough we find your responses, INNOVA may be willing to settle this matter in exchange for your agreement to cease sales of the products and payment of royalties on sales you have made to date. Any such determination shall be solely at INNOVA's discretion, and nothing in this letter is intended to waive any of INNOVA's rights.

Latest posts