• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Help me find a Midrange

Can't go wrong with a Roc or two. If you want something a little faster and longer a Rift is a good option. And then get a Quake to complement it. You could do some damage with those two plus your Buzzz SS

Kinda looking for that all purpose mid. Can shape but always finishes towards target. With nice feel in hand.

Well why didn't you say that in the first place. You're looking for a Roc.

If you find that Gila a little more stable/overstable than what you're looking for hit me up and I'll do like everyone else in this thread and send you a fresh DX Roc for free.

I'd go with a Jawbreaker Buzzz. It's a buzzz, great feel in the hand and workable. The Jawbreaker plastic has excellent grip once you beat the new off it, great in all weather conditions and really workable with all sorts of angles.

Love it!

Wait until we release our new mid range next week...

Like a Cobra but better bc it'll be consistently molded. Glide, some turn potential and nearly identical to the Gila in the hand.

What are the numbers on the new one?

I had a chance to compare a Gila to my Verdict today at The Meadows. It felt pretty nice in the hand. If the new one is in the Emac Truth stability class with the same hand feel as the Gila, it could be worth a shot.

I have a buzzz in my glow bag. It's a good disc but not in love with it. Not sure why - maybe grip? Maybe no good reason. Maybe it's me just can't have a disc that is readily available. :)

Roc doesn't glide. I feel more comfortable with high glide discs. Zone is my only low glide disc and I'm still learning it. My short straightline forehand or meathook backhand. (Used to be a heavy Hornet in this spot but availability and my lack of consistency with it made me move on).

I do have a balance of 10 full color Rocs with my picture on them. Not for throwing. Was my gift for induction into our state HoF. Was great honor.

Do truly appreciate the suggestions. Please keep them coming. These two discs and the Comet are the obvious asks being that they have been mainstays for so many for so long.

I've been making a list of the suggestions...

Gila, Hex, eMac truth, compass, Rift, quake, verdict, etc...

I figure a Squall as well plus a revisit of Comet, buzzz, roc.

It's crazy how many options there are. I have an old Discraft order form which has all the available discs including graphics that is on one side of a piece of paper. Advertises the "new" magnet plus some obsolete- Maurader, deuce, Vortex,.... Things have changed.

The trick will be finding the options to try. I'll canvas the locals. An indoor putting league just started maybe a good start to check. Could be my pre-Christmas shopping spree. Plus a lot of test throws.

Hard to change when perfectly content. But as Heraclitus once said " Nothing is permanent except change"

Thanks for suggestions.

I've been making a list of the suggestions...

Gila, Hex, eMac truth, compass, Rift, quake, verdict, etc...

Roc doesn't glide.

Weird. My Rocs excel at gliding.

The Hex and Emac Truth are kind of glidey but are a little more power hungry and if you want to see that glide you'll really need to put some mustard on them.

When I bag Rocs I prefer DX plastic because they just seem to glide well with less effort.

Rocs are glide machines, what are you talking about

Gonna try the Rocs again. My comments are what I remember. I could be wrong, right? :)

I've been throwing the Gremlin for 20 plus years perfectly happy. I probably discounted the Roc when I started playing in the early 90s. My memory could be distorted.

This Mid endeavor is new. I've only played 3 holes (finished the round) since my recent disc loss. I've just come to reality that the day to change is coming or maybe here.

DX Roc3 was the first new disc I bonded with. It beat in so fast though. Ended up with a Star X3 and a Star Rancho. I like the Rancho in Pro better, but the X3 gets most of the work. It works like a fresh DX Roc3 for me.

Heck yeah, a fellow Stratus thrower!

I do not play a tourney round without someone asking me what I threw after I flip up my stratus and get a really gentle super late turn.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to mids until this year, but two that I've come to like the best and seem to have made improvements to my game are, yet again, the DX Roc, and also the C-Line MD3. Next on the list is to try Rocs in different plastics.

Love it!

Wait until we release our new mid range next week...

Like a Cobra but better bc it'll be consistently molded. Glide, some turn potential and nearly identical to the Gila in the hand.

Is this a yet-to-be-PDGA-approved mid?

I don't see any new Reptilian mid on the PDGA list.

Heck yeah, a fellow Stratus thrower!

I do not play a tourney round without someone asking me what I threw after I flip up my stratus and get a really gentle super late turn.

I can throw flat hard 200+ feet straight then it gently turns over as if under command. You have to trust it. A freak of nature.

Well a Roc with more glide sounds like a reactor (as long as it was neutron) a little easier to get some action out of than a hex, good do it all choice.

If you were totally into high glide discs the uplink is a little more stable than the stratus, kind of in the broken in comet kinda stability range. More of a BH touch do it all kinda disc. I can "touch" FH them but they only have .5 fade.

Svea also has good glide and the glow kastaplast is pretty bright. Straight shooter/ shaper with low effort.

Last edited:
Well a Roc with more glide sounds like a reactor (as long as it was neutron) a little easier to get some action out of than a hex, good do it all choice.

If you were totally into high glide discs the uplink is a little more stable than the stratus, kind of in the broken in comet kinda stability range. More of a BH touch do it all kinda disc. I can "touch" FH them but they only have .5 fade.

Svea also has good glide and the glow kastaplast is pretty bright. Straight shooter/ shaper with low effort.

I second the Uplink suggestion.

I would second that Rocs do not have much glide, at least until they are beaten in 100%. A DX white Roc was the first midrange that I fell in love with as I was learning to throw, and it glided like none other after I got a clean release. It has since been lost, and I tried replacing it over time with a KC Pro Roc and 2 DX Rocs. They never flew great until I played 'catch' in my driveway with my 2-year-old this summer and then sanded down the rough edges. They are finally starting to get good straight glide with little fade. This is for throwing them 280-300ish ft for reference. Bigger distances would probably notice better glide and prefer them newer.

I think you want a faster, slightly overstable mid if you're trying to replace a GM.

Kastaplast Kaxe might fit the bill, but could be a bit too fast.

Something like a Truth/EMac Truth might work well.

Latest posts