• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Fast glidey stable drivers

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
Hey dudes,

Always looking to maximize my FH distance with low power (no longer than 300' typically) but decent finesse.

I understand and anticipate the differences between the popular Innova and DC drivers, but I am less familiar with the somewhat more recent warp speed drivers from trilogy.

I am specifically looking for a FH driver which combines ludicrous speed and glide with relatively neutral stability - I would say something like 12+ / 6 / -1 to -2 / 2 to 3

I'm thinking if it's not a Shryke or pro destroyer I seek, or possibly a crank, I would like to lean on Euroglide and try one of the new trilogy options.

These include the Ballista and BP, the Sorcerer, the Sheriff and the Raider (and maybe Havoc? Looks comfy for FH.)

Can anyone compare and contrast these, or suggest something else? For reference I found the Queen to be too flippy for this slot, and the Defender, while having a very comfy, smooth grip, is too OS for true hyzer flip distance FHs.

Sheriff, King, Emperor and Ballista Pro could a be good depending on your preference. I wouldn't use any of them FH, but I have used all of them as backhand drivers and they do really well on hyzerflip lines.

Sorcerer and havoc are the same disc essentially. Not stable. I think you'll find what you're looking for with the shryke. A trespass might be worth a look, sword also.

The Star TeeBird is what you want. If that's too overstable at 300', try a G* TeeBird.

Love teebirds in star and gstar. Not sexy enough for this shot though.

I practice temperance for my backhand and try to match my armspeed, but when it comes to forehand, sometimes I just want to milk all the speed and glide I can to get that extra 10-15 ft for the look at birdie.

Hey rather than post a new thread (tempted to), I'll ask here as it's related.

Seems like there are a lot of great options for this slot, so I can be pretty choosy.

If I ran the CAD at lat64, I would take a Defender and just lower the PLH slightly because the Defender is so dang comfy in hand. Specifically, I think this is thanks to the very smooth transition from flightplate to lower wing at the PLH, and overall lack of sharp angles throughout. I bag a fuzion defender for technical flex forehands and skips in the woods.

The Queen has a similar shape but found it too flippy... I would not mind trying another one, maybe compare a big stack and pick up the highest PLH of the bunch next time.

Of the currently available trilogy options, what's my best bet for a less stable Defender? Bio Defender obviously, and what else?

Hey rather than post a new thread (tempted to), I'll ask here as it's related.

Seems like there are a lot of great options for this slot, so I can be pretty choosy.

If I ran the CAD at lat64, I would take a Defender and just lower the PLH slightly because the Defender is so dang comfy in hand. Specifically, I think this is thanks to the very smooth transition from flightplate to lower wing at the PLH, and overall lack of sharp angles throughout. I bag a fuzion defender for technical flex forehands and skips in the woods.

The Queen has a similar shape but found it too flippy... I would not mind trying another one, maybe compare a big stack and pick up the highest PLH of the bunch next time.

Of the currently available trilogy options, what's my best bet for a less stable Defender? Bio Defender obviously, and what else?

New raider, perhaps? Haven't thrown it, but seems to fit the bill from what I have read

I'm curious because I want to learn, why the preference for a speed 12 when you're only throwing 300'? Seems like speed 9-10 stable drivers would work better at that arm speed than a flippy 12? Do you like the wider rims?

I would go with Sheriff. I love it for FH shots as it's got high speed but the rim isn't stupid shallow, and it still has a lot of glide. The fade will pull it out of a bit of flex too, especially if you're wanting to use it in that 300+ range...although it will probably act/skip like a speed 13 driver that fades when it hits the ground. I typically use it for max D FH's at 370+ so it's getting flippy at that point but the fade still pulls it back.

I also love how the Defender feels, the Sheriff is shallower but not really shallow. The Trespass is more shallow and a bit more finicky but if you have a clean FH it can work as well. I just think the Sheriff is actually more forgiving on FH shots, although overall the disc can do a bit more shaping and skipping during flight since it's noticeably faster.

Havoc is so understable, definitely not that. Sorcerer is like a Tern stability, I think it's too understable and very floaty for a dependable FH distance disc. It would definitely get you good easy distance in your range but I think it'd be finicky...however it's more neutral than the Sheriff so if the Sheriff fades too much then this or a Trespass are a good next choice. I've never FH'd a Ballista or even held the BP or Raider.

I'm curious because I want to learn, why the preference for a speed 12 when you're only throwing 300'? Seems like speed 9-10 stable drivers would work better at that arm speed than a flippy 12? Do you like the wider rims?

I get it for FH shots for sure. For a BH thrower I would completely agree with you that a Valk/SW or even FD would go as far/farther and with less effort if someone is throwing 300.

But on a FH usually when people are throwing 300ish they don't have as much spin and pop to make slower discs glide super easily, and the higher speed discs will cruise out there on speed with that extra stability able to eat up some small errors. I just think higher speed discs that aren't stupid OS to make someone flex them, can often be easier for someone to confidently throw FH. Of course if you want to throw farther then throwing those slower control drivers clean is a great way to build up the effortless leverage/control rather than smashing high speed drivers as far as possible.

MVP Octane (or Axiom Mayhem) are worth looking into they are around those #'s. Otherwise a DGA Hurricane is a more comfy size and is stable enough but can definitely work well for a forehand.

Love teebirds in star and gstar. Not sexy enough for this shot though.

I practice temperance for my backhand and try to match my armspeed, but when it comes to forehand, sometimes I just want to milk all the speed and glide I can to get that extra 10-15 ft for the look at birdie.

300' with a warp speed driver is sexy? :thmbup:

I throw exclusively FH now after shoulder surgery and max out at 315' if everything is just right.
I keep one weirdly overstable wraith in my bag for skips and escape rollers. Nothing else over speed 9. I don't see the point.
Primarily driving with Valks, Teebirds, and Leopard3s.

I throw exclusively FH now after shoulder surgery and max out at 315' if everything is just right.
I keep one weirdly overstable wraith in my bag for skips and escape rollers. Nothing else over speed 9. I don't see the point.

Exactly why I'm trying to understand the OPs reasoning. I think a stable Valk (maybe max weight Champ?) would be a fantastic forehand hyzer flip disc for someone with 300ish power.
(For reference, I mostly drive with Thundys and a Valk)

What most people don't realize is that added speed without the ability to utilize it often leads to faster fades, robbing the thrower of distance. I remember my mind being blown when I switched from Forces to PDs. I started parking and overthrowing holes that I used to have to jump putt.

The right Wraith can bomb for FH drives. Flat ones from the recent Star run are less stable off the shelf than some and they go far. Lots of Wraiths to pick through in used bins also.

Exactly why I'm trying to understand the OPs reasoning. I think a stable Valk (maybe max weight Champ?) would be a fantastic forehand hyzer flip disc for someone with 300ish power.

A CD2 is also a really good halfway point between the Thundy/Valk for FH shots. More confidence than the Valk but way easier carry than the Thundy. I have a pretty strong FH and when I throw the Thunderbird I throw it HARD and choose it because I don't want the skip of a high speed driver, not because it's easy to throw being speed 9. Those discs crave power. The CD2 will hold straight way easier.

In your case the Thundy/Valk pairing will cover that shot though.

A CD2 is also a really good halfway point between the Thundy/Valk for FH shots. More confidence than the Valk but way easier carry than the Thundy. I have a pretty strong FH and when I throw the Thunderbird I throw it HARD and choose it because I don't want the skip of a high speed driver, not because it's easy to throw being speed 9. Those discs crave power. The CD2 will hold straight way easier.

In your case the Thundy/Valk pairing will cover that shot though.
Yeah, I like the idea of a midpoint between the Valk and Thunderbird....just trying not to add MORE molds to the bag right now. Practice, not plastic and all that.

What most people don't realize is that added speed without the ability to utilize it often leads to faster fades, robbing the thrower of distance. I remember my mind being blown when I switched from Forces to PDs. I started parking and overthrowing holes that I used to have to jump putt.

The right Wraith can bomb for FH drives. Flat ones from the recent Star run are less stable off the shelf than some and they go far. Lots of Wraiths to pick through in used bins also.

The vast majority of my FHs are thrown with a zone/mortar. My go to FH driver is an FD. I understand and appreciate that more speed is not typically the answer.

I wouldn't try to convince any of you or anyone to bag a warp speed driver for 300' of forehand power.

That being said, the flightpath and ground play of an underpowered, glidey, slightly flippy warp speed driver can open up some low risk plays in the woods and from trouble. Say I'm throwing out of a curvy hallway from a wooded teepad into an open field - the carry and flare skip might make the difference between par and bogey if I'm being honest.

Plus, I can FH a glidey distance driver farther than a controllable fairway. It's just a fact. :|

I would recommend that anyone leave the distance drivers at home until they get find their bearings. But as you figure things out, a warp speed driver is just another tool in the bag, like a flat firebird or a beat roadrunner.

I usually throw a lucid-x convict (9 speed) or bio enforcer (12 speed) for flex FH shots, out to about 300. I predominately throw backhand. I use FH mainly for scrambling or shorter holes that finish right.

Last edited: