• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Faster Star Destroyer/Giant?

Kodachrome

* Ace Member *
so far i've tried a few wider rimmed discs. the reign, the giant (seems almost the same though), quasar. haven't really messed around too much with high speed stuff this year; really stuck with destroyers.

now that i'm moving toward a teebird/tesla setup i'd like something more for max d but with the stability similar the destroyer. i'm looking for a longer and faster straight/fade flight with a little turn. the giant is a great disc, really do like it, but plastic options cause problems.

ideal candidate will have some dome for glide, not just flat for speed. will have good texture in the plastic, also vary in stability enough to find a very OS, workhorse and bomber. similar to my giant setup where i have a SUPER flat and a good straight/fade with moderate dome that i could season in.

so far it sounds like i'm describing a boss, rampage or a beefy cannon in softer pinnacle or icon that i could then work at finding alternate versions of - i've been seeing some crazy high PLH cannons around - and they're definitely FAF - but i don't see many domey rampages/cannons.

other suggestions? my quasars were more max d right out of the box.

and yes, i know . . . the best solution is to throw my destroyers/giants farther. i get it. but humor me, please? i max at 430'-450'. 430' average, 450' big rip.

IDK about faster, but the Scorpius is a near twin of the Destroyer and slightly more stable. Plastic choices are limited though. Other than that, maybe a Sword?

I don't have the arm for it, but have you tried the World? Might not be as OS as you're looking for with that rocket arm you've got, but I've seen some people just rip those things.

*shrug*

because that's what i want - my bag is set up so i ideally have regular intervals. i'm a nerd and quite particular about how i go about building my bag.

teebird is 1.7 cm rim, tesla is 2.0, ideally i'd step up significantly since the tesla flies far. max distance. so we're talking rim width primarily.

Last edited:
can you find ones that really hold up in big headwinds? and also with some good dome so they actually glide out? all i've seen are flat.

should also mention i had a brief stint with the P DD2; it bombed pretty good. saw there were some pretty domey stars? maybe two P DD2's and a star for the beef?

should also mention i had a brief stint with the P DD2; it bombed pretty good. saw there were some pretty domey stars? maybe two P DD2's and a star for the beef?

No DD2 is anywhere near as stable as the others you've mentioned(Quasar, Rampage, Giant, World). Might be close to a Cannon though. Discmania has it at -2,2, and that's accurate based on the ones I've thrown.

That said, it's a neat max D driver if you can keep it straight enough.

I highly recommend a couple of 175 Z nukes with nice dome. I throw mine for most 400+ foot shots and a variety of other shots and they work perfectly! Perfect for the very fast 450+ foot shots. I have one that is a meathook (but not as much as the nuke OS in my truck) that I use very sparingly, a few straight flying ones that also work well for most hyzers and a few with varying degrees of understability for very long hyzer flips etc. Wonderful disc, I can't recommend them enough. You can't go wrong with a boss, quasar, rampage, world, etc. etc. there are many. They're really all very similar, whatever appeals to you.

PD2's probably would be up your alley. I bet you've thrown them though. Only other combo would be the O-Lace/Lace or Crank Z and ESP. All three with 2.4 rims I think. I have thrown all 3 and they are all great discs. Personally I might prefer the Lace by a tad. Not thrown an O-Lace though or 420/Solace for that matter.

The Outlaw is a slightly faster Destroyer, exactly what your looking for imo.

They remind me of the S/DS destroyers i used to throw only a bit longer, and obviously the best plastic blend around in Icon, their latest blend is just excellent.

Get a purple or yellow for more domey glide, and then a hot pink or red for the flatter higher PLH beef.. your welcome.

Last edited:
teebird is 1.7 cm rim, tesla is 2.0, ideally i'd step up significantly since the tesla flies far. max distance. so we're talking rim width primarily.

There are limits to how wide the PDGA allows the rims to be. I think we reached it allready with the speed 13 discs. The only option to get the discs to fly faster is to actually throw them faster.

Personally, I noticed that my nukes go 50 feet further than my destroyers. I am also in your 400 to 450 range. I like understable discs though, absolutely love the Nuke.

But yeah, I think we reached a point where we have to work more on our technique. There is not much room to disc up any more. ( Not that we need it, Simon throws a mini farther than we throw... )

Watch the latest Feldberg in the bag, he explains the world as it replaced his max d drivers. Think he carries four or five.

No DD2 is anywhere near as stable as the others you've mentioned(Quasar, Rampage, Giant, World).

I wouldn't say "No DD2". The most recent S-DD2 I got from the Discmania store was more overstable than any D1, Quasar(Stardust), Giant(TP and VIP) and Rampages(Pinnacle and Icon) I have ever thrown (Including the coveted Aqua Rampages). It ranked right up there with an Evo Spirit in terms of overstableness. But more to the point of ThinAir's post, I don't think that I would bet on using the DD2 as a wind fighter. The PD2/DD2 combo would be pretty solid though. I carry 2 PD2's and 2 DD2's to cover all of my distance duties

The Rampages I've thrown would fit the bill. Also, both companies make longer versions of those discs (World/Boss). A Nuke is slightly faster, but in the same stability range. I've been getting really good distance from a Crank.

I didn't read the OP. Just reacting to the title >>>> I have never felt the desire to throw anything faster than my Destroyers. Tried out a Tern for a while. Nothing past the speed 12 realm. Just no desire.

I've capped myself out at 12 as well. The 13 rims are so wide that whatever marginal gain in potential I get from going from 12 to 13 is more than canceled out by my loss in grip consistency.

That being said, a Boss or a Nuke are the two obvious answers. Both can be found in varieties of stability, and I would say compare pretty well to a faster destroyer.

Latest posts