• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite "Average" course

My 2 nominations that meet this criteria are
1. Park Circle, Charleston, SC - this course had it's own thread going last week.
2. Fewell Park, Rock Hill, SC - less than a 5 minute drive from Winthrop. 18-holer cramped into a tight area, it's has some really fun & challenging holes. The last 6 holes are a great way to end the course.

NOTE: I'd have included a couple more that I rated 2.5, but due to grade inflation, their overall scores were above 3.0.

I forgot to link to the courses I mentioned, which started this whole thread.

Park Circle
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=161

Fewell Park
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=681

And one more I didn't mention earlier, Horizons Park in Winston Salem, NC
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=355
Beautiful scenery, plenty of chances to attack the pin for potential aces. On hole #14 you have to throw around a big, red barn to get to the pin. You don't want to hit the barn on your throw, or everyone playing will hear the loud thud, just to add insult to injury.

yes we have started rounds at 2 in the morning. people are driving by going to work and prob were wondering what we were on. lol

How good is the lighting for the night play? Also, how safe is the park? That must be every insomniac DGer's dream.

Beautiful scenery, plenty of chances to attack the pin for potential aces. On hole #14 you have to throw around a big, red barn to get to the pin. You don't want to hit the barn on your throw, or everyone playing will hear the loud thud, just to add insult to injury.

Played Horizons Park in May/2009. Beautiful, fun course. Average, but FUN.
Loved it. I'd love to play it again, if I didn't live 4 hours away.

I agree. It's only 1 1/2 hours from Charlotte, but there's no course here with as a great a view as that.

the lighting is good but you need to carry a flashlight just in case because of leaves. It is a windy park most of the time and would not be a great place to sleep if you were homeless. You would be alone 99% of the time and it has a huge parking lot(enough for a few hundred cars) and is extremely well lit. No incidents that I know of. I remember seeing 2 more lit courses. I think 1 is in Maine. and 1 of them had 3 baskets with a crap load of tees.

the lighting is good but you need to carry a flashlight just in case because of leaves. It is a windy park most of the time and would not be a great place to sleep if you were homeless. You would be alone 99% of the time and it has a huge parking lot(enough for a few hundred cars) and is extremely well lit. No incidents that I know of. I remember seeing 2 more lit courses. I think 1 is in Maine. and 1 of them had 3 baskets with a crap load of tees.

I think I found another reason to visit Shreveport. The first being a restaurant I ate at 15 years ago that had the best hush puppies ever. Too bad I don't remember the name of it.

I agree that this course is under-rated....I disagree with you that 2.5 discs is a fair rating for this course. I rated this course from the long tees (which is how I rate all courses unless otherwise noted). I think Schenley is a very good course from the longs and I rated it likewise 4 discs. I am the only person who rated it higher than a 3!

I realize some people factor in all layouts and other stuff, but it really seems like almost all the reviewers reviewed the course only from the short tee pads.....that is just wrong/erroneous IMO. Even timg states, "Most holes play short and none were terribly challenging." (The longs average 317' - not short!) Even he does not give a shout-out to the long tees and the associated challenge.

I see a lot of the comments about non-dg traffic on the course as a con. That is good info for people to know about and indeed is an issue. But from purely a design perspective, it is a very strong course (from the long tees).

Thanks for the response. I guess I am kind of a beginner and play mostly from white tees. But in response to the long tees at Schenley - they can be, imo, pretty challenging - to find, Sunken 4x's that usually have grass grown over them. I'll take the concrete white tee's and keep reaching for my putters and mids.

My favorite "average" course is Mint Hill Park in Mint Hill, NC. It's just outside of Charlotte.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=556&mode=ci
Little nine hole course that I cut my teeth on when I lived in Charlotte for four months. Short, mostly open. Generous with the pars. Mixture of different shots. Did I say it was fun??

Tendick Nature Park/DGC in Saukville, WI. My home course. It's average and my favorite :D

I forgot to link to the courses I mentioned, which started this whole thread.

Park Circle
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=161

Fewell Park
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=681

Ah, I must be getting old. I meant Boyd Hill, not Fewell.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=577
All those postives were aimed at Boyd Hill. Fewell is a short, putt-putt lenght course. Boyd Hill is the good underrated course. Don't get those confused on my account.

I agree with Horizons being fun. For me that fact that it is a fun birdie-fest course is what boosts it to a favorite. I've been there 2 times. The second time I set the goal for me to play until I shot 10 down (44). Seemed like a realistic goal, but I kept missing makeable putts.....it took me 3 rounds and until dark. And then I had to make a 25' putt on 18 to get to 10 down. Fortunately I made it.

Montiel Park DGC in San Marcos

I gave this course a 2.5 rating. It's a great place to introduce somebody to the game with its short tees while the experienced players would get a kick out of the longer tees. It's pretty easy to score well here and this course is great for ace runs.

I agree with you on that one. Definitely in the average category, but lots of fun playing up and down the hill. I really like playing putter only rounds from the shorts, and putter/mid rounds from the longs.

UW Whitewater. Quick little technical 12 hole course. Despite it being overall pretty short, there's still one hole I havent par'ed. Challenging, but not tough, with no amenities like teesigns or pads. actually very fun.

The Roc DGC in Tyler Texas. I rated it a 2.5/5 score and average is a 3/5. Good elevation changes, short/long holes, right/left/straight shots and the only water holes in the area. I have seen all levels of players out here. Not too croweded whenever I played. Not the best in the area but always an enjoyable time.

The Roc DGC in Tyler Texas. I rated it a 2.5/5 score and average is a 3/5. Good elevation changes, short/long holes, right/left/straight shots and the only water holes in the area. I have seen all levels of players out here. Not too croweded whenever I played. Not the best in the area but always an enjoyable time.
I recently played there and I liked it a lot. I'm sure I would give it more than 2.5 though.

This is an off the wall subject, hoping to give love to some under the radar courses. What is your favorite average course?

Based on the criteria of this site, average/typical courses are rated 2.5. So it has to be a course you personally have given an average rating of 2.5 or lower, and the course should have an overall rating of less than 3.0. This will be the type of course that every skill level should be able to get some enjoyment out of, from the first time thrower to the pros, but it will also have some problems, hence it only being average.

Think of this as the Chili's or Olive Garden of disc golf courses. When you have a group of people going out to dinner together and you all can't decide where to go, you end up settling for Chili's or Olive Garden. Nobody is going to be blown away with the food, but everyone will find something they'll like.

My 2 nominations that meet this criteria are
1. Park Circle, Charleston, SC - this course had it's own thread going last week.
2. Fewell Park, Rock Hill, SC - less than a 5 minute drive from Winthrop. 18-holer cramped into a tight area, it's has some really fun & challenging holes. The last 6 holes are a great way to end the course.

NOTE: I'd have included a couple more that I rated 2.5, but due to grade inflation, their overall scores were above 3.0.
I kind of have a problem with the whole concept of this thread. For me if something is my "favorite" I am going to rate it at least fairly high even if others do not think it is that good. With that in mind I can't think of any courses that meet your criteria. If I liked them they got at least a 3 or 3.5 even if they had some issues.

I kind of have a problem with the whole concept of this thread. For me if something is my "favorite" I am going to rate it at least fairly high even if others do not think it is that good. With that in mind I can't think of any courses that meet your criteria. If I liked them they got at least a 3 or 3.5 even if they had some issues.

Great input.

It certainly points out the divide in philosophies here: some try to be very objective in their rating and others (me for one) are unabashedly subjective.

In general I agree with the issue you have any my absolute favorites, I rate the highest. But......I have different favorites depending on the mood I am in. For instance if I am in the mood for a birdiefest I have my favorites, if I want a hike with my discs in the beauty of nature there's another list, if I want to be challenged by the course, yet another. Etc.... My top favorites meet a large percentage of those "needs". But for instance, a really good/fun/beautiful birdiefest course can be a favorite without being rated high in the other aspects. That I my rationale for listing Horizons as my course for this thread.

Latest posts