• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Putter and Why?

R-Pro Dart is another I've tried recently. It's gummy with lots of glide and very straight. Excellent for longer putts and upshots.

Vibram Ridge (xlink and firm). This thing holds lines so well, it may be shorter driving than other putters but for putting by far it is just as good. I like it a whole whole lot.

Had to go look it up....that's one very overstable putter! Does it fly pretty straight, or does it tail off on longer putts?

Garret

Anything out to 40' I can throw straight at the chains. After that I adjust a bit for fade, but not much really. The fade isn't as bad as you'd think, and I love the way it feels in my hand.

Discraft APX Swirl. once broken in it is the straightest flying putter I have used. great for long runs up to 100' and soft enough to catch the chains well.

I started with an Aviar P & A...hated it. Used an Archangel for awhile (don't know, it felt good in my hand and I made some long putts with it, helped in the wind), found a Buzzz and used that for awhile. Tried an XD, and Banger GT, didn't really like those. Now I'm using a Soft Magnet. It seems to grab the chains for me pretty good and I like the feel in my hand.

i've been using an RW Pro Aviar lately, good feel and nice flights. seems to grip the chains really well but doesn't get locked onto your hand.

Very surprising there isn't more love for the Challenger. The thing is just so solid, it holds its stability for ever. It feels great in the hand and is basically a Wizard with a smaller bead. Plus the World Champ Emac, USDGC Champs Nate Doss and Cam Todd use it, so that tells you everything you need to know.

A Zone is a slower Drone so if your outside 15 its gonna turn and hard.

I have a tendency to aim right, even if I am staring down the chains on the left side. For the 15 to 35 foot range, the Zone has been surprisingly accurate for me. Anything under 15 feet I can touch putt with my Ridge or Summit. For anything over 35 feet and then the Zone's fade because too unpredictable for guessing when it will cut across the basket and I switch back to the Summit or Ridge again.

When I started out I went through the "lack of confidence while putting" thing also and used Pro Rhynos and Soft Magnets. No Gateway stuff or DGA as the Innova and Discraft putters were more readily available. I then bought a bunch of X-out Aviars (all the same weight and color, got em for $4 a piece) and used those for practice, again an availability thing.
After getting my putting down I realized I didn't need sticky gummy putters to make putts, just a putter that felt comfortable in my hand.

My current Putters

Old beat Glow Aviar for low power putts and approaches.

Black DX Aviar for regular putting duty/ jumpers /short approaches

Black JK for short drives and if its really really windy head wind putts.

I also keep a backup beat Aviar for those danger shots where I don't want to lose a good disc.

I love my Discraft Soft magnet and for longer putts I use some hard discraft not sure what it is though... on the back it says Discraft Factory Misprint and on the front it has a 2007 NC homegrown tour stamp

Wizards. I love them in almost any plastic, and usually have about 6 in my bag. A new one will hold a strong hyzer, they season to beautiful straight discs, and a beat one is an excellent turnover disc. I feel like my wizards fill my putting, approaching and shorter driving roles with a single disc, and that helps me stay more consistent rather than using different molds.

Wizards. I love them in almost any plastic, and usually have about 6 in my bag. A new one will hold a strong hyzer, they season to beautiful straight discs, and a beat one is an excellent turnover disc. I feel like my wizards fill my putting, approaching and shorter driving roles with a single disc, and that helps me stay more consistent rather than using different molds.

Well put. I went with Inn0va's setup (Mag / Wiz) for a while, and I think the Magic is a great putter, but I like the simplicity of just Wizards for everything within a couple hundred feet.