• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favourite / Most Beautiful Course Features

An attractive feature which is incorporated into the course as a challenge. Stuff like....

The knarly old tree that guards the green.

The downhill throw with a lake backdrop that doubles as a hazard.

A rock outcrop that guards the green like a fortress.

A narrow row of mature pines which only ask you to throw straight.

special stonework

Have to mention Stadium Course at Carson Ridge in NV. Check out reviews for more details. The natural high desert beauty surrounded by mountain views is great on its own and the course layout and trails really frame up the views. But this thread is about course features added by the course designers... If you appreciate stonework around tee areas and greens, both the 9-hole beginner course and the 18 holer at Carson Ridge, bar none have the finest and most functional terracing and definition of tees and greens I've ever seen. All course features here complement and enhance each other; the signage, the trails, the stonework. Particularly impressive greens are #12 island hole with a beautiful stone paved drop zone, and the elevated pin for #17 which looks like a natural rock outcrop (giant circle tee is also pretty cool on this hole). Also beautiful level and stone mulched seating areas under the shade of pinion tree canopies on several holes. The added features here using the native stone blend so well with the natural setting that they can be easy to miss if you are hyper-focused on playing for score. Take your time and soak in all the great features, like the rope-wrapped poles on the targets. All the features together make you feel like you're not just throwing at random baskets in the desert, but a special place for disc golf like a previous post stated.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet but Showmen's just south of Tampa Fl has an insane amount of touches that really set this course apart. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8890 Check out there facebook page for the newest additions.

26165794_1245994505500497_9064130140338804914_n.jpg

Seneca

One feature I have seen at 2 dg courses, Rosedale park here in KC and Centennial Park in OK, are pavers buried around the practice basket to mark different distances from the basket. They spiral down from maybe 15 Meters to probably 5 meters. It seems to be a easy and cheap feature added to a course.

PS. For all you hoopsters that played around the world this game is as fun also when putting with friends.

Seneca Creek in Maryland also has this setup although it has gotten overgrown. There are 9 or 10 pavers in a spiral and when you are waiting for your buddies to arrive, you can play progressively. It improved my putting a lot. Similar to my high school basketball coach who always wanted you to start with layups and then work backward. Don't start your warmup by hoisting up 3 pointers.

Two years ago, The Army Corp of Engineers saved the 8th and 9th shared Peninsula fairways at Munden Point from river erosion. Why, I think the Park Supervisor had something to do with it, he plays Disc Golf, gotta like that, and it's a postcard portion of the park. They laid huge white boulders along the river bank on both sides of the peninsula, and its very scenic! against the water and land. I only have decent photos of #9 from last year.

Left: Long tees on 9 you can see the boulders on the left. The hole is less than 400 feet and one of the toughest holes I've played at that distance to get off the tee. I've lost about 9 discs playing more than 100 rounds from the longs most hitting those trees ahead, and bouncing in the water. You can also see where the erosion was biting into the fairway.

middle: You can skip the fairway an hit the line over the boulders and water. Need about a 350 foot carry hitting a tree gaps of no more than 10 feet. Thats not me, and I've never seen anybody attempt it.

right: I took this photo last year for a tee pad surface thread discussion. The pad is only a few feet from the river, and the boulders have save it. When the wind is whipping up, the waves will create water spray over the tee. So you watch the timing of the wave slap about 10-15 seconds to line up and fire away. I find it comical and yes I've been sprayed.

Attachments

• PIC_2431.JPG
    PIC_2431.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 28
  • PIC_2432.JPG
    PIC_2432.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 25
  • PIC_2428.jpg
    PIC_2428.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts