• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Favourite understable distance driver

I haven't tried a NukeSS. I've thrown the Bolt, and it's okay.

But the two Freedoms I tried both svcked, bad. The Freedom is to me what the Renegade is to Twmccoy...

LOL. That's awesome. I have as much use for the Freedom as I do the Renegade. I can get a Freedom to bomb, but its almost impossible. Soon as you get the disc up to speed, it flips over violently. In all honestly, I wonder how many DGers bag Freedoms and actually use them often and like them. I can't think of any on-course use for the thing.

I...When Spring arrives, the candidates to return to my bag are the Neutron Wave and the Pro Shryke/I-blend Pharaoh. If Innova ever gets around to making some lightweight Mysteres, it might return to my bag in place of the Wave...

Have you tried a Plasma Wave? They're super nice. More glide than neutron, which for me means I can throw them on lower lines and not have to worry about them burying in the ground too early. Domier too. And for whatever reason I can control how much they flip a little better than in neutron.

Have you tried a Plasma Wave? They're super nice. More glide than neutron, which for me means I can throw them on lower lines and not have to worry about them burying in the ground too early. Domier too. And for whatever reason I can control how much they flip a little better than in neutron.

Haven't tried a Plasma Wave. I'll have to check on those.

DD Renegade, Discraft Thrasher, and Innova Echostar Wraith.

Right out of the box, the Thrasher is probably the best, but after some seasoning, the Renegade comes on strong. Great for rollers and hyzerflips as well. I've found the Renegade to be pretty predictable and plenty long.

LOL. That's awesome. I have as much use for the Freedom as I do the Renegade. I can get a Freedom to bomb, but its almost impossible. Soon as you get the disc up to speed, it flips over violently. In all honestly, I wonder how many DGers bag Freedoms and actually use them often and like them. I can't think of any on-course use for the thing.

I've seen one guy who plays hyzer flip lines with it on all sorts of angles. Keep in mind this is at altitude which increases stability, they are going about 330ish, and he has very clean form...so it's the perfect storm for him to be able to control them really well.

Pro Leopard ;)

Okay, okay. Champ Tern is my favorite that fits OP criteria. To be honest, though, I typically don't like to get big S curves because I often end up in bad places. Instead, I like to hyzerflip it just past flat and get it as straight as possible. The Tern has a reputation as being crazy flippy, but champ really doesn't flip unless thrown too flat, over-torqued, or with any headwind.

For S-curves with some air under them, I really do love my Pro Leo. Most courses I play don't have much in the way of open distance, so a fairway does fine. I played Nevin a few months ago, and had at least one memorable 350' Leo flex/flip through the woods. For those high shots, I'll take a speed 6-7 over 10-11 any day.

Westside Sorcerer or the King are pretty awesome! I get some very nice turn with the Sorcerer. Crazy hyzer flips with the king. Although a fairway I preach the Heat!

I've seen one guy who plays hyzer flip lines with it on all sorts of angles. Keep in mind this is at altitude which increases stability, they are going about 330ish, and he has very clean form...so it's the perfect storm for him to be able to control them really well.

Yeah, the Freedom has a microscopic window of effectiveness. You have to throw it JUUUUSSSTTT right to get a decent flight. If you underthrow a Freedom it uselessly hyzers out and does nothing. Obviously we all know what happens if you overthrow it. Also, drivers like that are seldom equated with control shots. Usually if I throw a Freedom I don't know what zip code it'll come down in.

I'll put the Renegade in the same boat. That disc will not accept power well at all. Hyzer it all you want, the thing will still careen off to the right and die.

Westside Sorcerer or the King are pretty awesome! I get some very nice turn with the Sorcerer. Crazy hyzer flips with the king. Although a fairway I preach the Heat!

The Sorcerer is a disc I can't figure out. By that I mean I can't figure out why Westside has it in their lineup in the first place. They already have it surrounded with other fast, understable drivers. The King, Queen, and Destiny come readily to mind.

Sorcerers fly like slightly slower Freedoms. They're flat and pretty flippy. Thing is, when you flip a Sorcerer, see 'ya. It won't come back. I can get by with a King or Destiny, but I've yet to find any use on the course for a Sorcerer. It simply doesn't perform that well and isn't as long as a King or Destiny.

The Heat is actually a very good understable driver. It has some high speed turn, but isn't completely finicky and uncontrollable. Surprisingly long for its speed too.

The Sorcerer is a disc I can't figure out. By that I mean I can't figure out why Westside has Sit in their lineup in the first place. They already have it surrounded with other fast, understable drivers. The King, Queen, and Destiny come readily to mind.

Sorcerers fly like slightly slower Freedoms. They're flat and pretty flippy. Thing is, when you flip a Sorcerer, see 'ya. It won't come back. I can get by with a King or Destiny, but I've yet to find any use on the course for a Sorcerer. It simply doesn't perform that well and isn't as long as a King or Destiny.

The Heat is actually a very good understable driver. It has some high speed turn, but isn't completely finicky and uncontrollable. Surprisingly long for its speed too.

I haven't thrown a Sorcerer for a while, but the few that I have were way more neutral for me than a King or Destiny. The Sword and Sorcerer were similar to me but with a different speed to glide ratio slightly, but both impressively neutral for the speed rating. Until very beat of course, then they flip and don't come back.

I have not thrown the Queen. But to me the Destiny has WAY more high speed turn than the Sorcerer, and the King as well has a way wider flight path.

I agree there's so much overlap with Sword/Sorcerer/Destiny/Queen/King all in the Westside lineup alone...pretty crazy.

I like the Archon, also. It's one of those "Destrulcan"-domed discs. For a while it was my main distance driver, but eventually lost out to the Tern.

I also tried the Thrasher. It's also a good disc, but it didn't "wow" me, again in comparison to the Tern (noticing a pattern, there? :) ).

When Spring arrives, the candidates to return to my bag are the Neutron Wave and the Pro Shryke/I-blend Pharaoh. If Innova ever gets around to making some lightweight Mysteres, it might return to my bag in place of the Wave. And the Pro Shryke I have may be an aberration, but that baby flies for me.

Or maybe the Tern again...

Tern is amazing but is on the shelf for me for now, might come out later in the year per usual.

Escapes are what I base my distance lineup on - with a Getaway on one end and a Hatchet on the other.

My favorite reliably understable distance driver is still the Underworld... speed 7 but it glides like no other and flips every time. Mamba is too touchy, heat and RR/sidewinder didn't quite do it for me, although I'd like to revisit speed 9 flippy. Would really like a trilogy sidewinder. EDIT: actually scratch that, just give me a wider rimmed Underworld

Would really like a trilogy sidewinder.

The Saint can do this as a straighter-ish Sidewinder after the initial beat in. Thief is also like a Valk type flight, way more understable than the numbers. Both those discs go far and handle more speed than an Underworld.

Really there's so much potential overlap between Roadrunner/Sidewinder/Valk that it depends on the specific disc to know what exact stability you are looking for. But I'd put the Saint and Thief in that style.

Funny when you think about it, i can barely get my discs up to a flat release but still i do not really like US max distance discs. I love hyzerflips of all my heart but it needs something to really impress me, the feeling of control where at least part of the flight just glides and tracks.
I found myself a non-pop beat to roller champ destroyer, flips like a maniac but still, i would push further with a Valkyrie, and i dont even throw Valks.

I love my River, it taught me to throw and still today is the only disc that lets me smash hyzer on some slight uphill turnovers. I do however believe that the FD finally won me over. Several times it just holds so nice and straight, or get that slight turn from OAT that would have turned my River into a project in lateral movement.

Frost Saint should be mentioned, flies like a beat in P-PD from the shelves and the Frost plastic does not care about trees. If you like the softer plastic, less dome and the stability of a Sidewinder and would happen to find one, give it a go.

I just got a 2018 Barsby from a friend, i love it! So much more stable than i expected and it wants to stay up in there air longer than any other disc i throw.

Tour or Sig? Yes, I agree...thing just wants to fly. I love it.