• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] FD2 - retooled

Its a run, not a mold. All the minutiae of that specific run will never happen again. Although, I wonder, why havent they tried running it in max wt blizzard. Maybe in luster too, since that is commonly pretty stiff. (Though the luster fds werent too stable. But they didnt have the bubbles)

My thought was always running a luster FD through the flat top machine a few times. Lots of interesting things could be done to try and mimic a second run FD, just need an evil genius inside the factory to mess around with different configurations.

What exactly is it about a second run FD that makes it better than a regular FD? Or a Leo3, TL, TL3, Eagle-L, beaten in Teebird/Teebird3? Is there really something different/better, or is it more likely just a matter of not being able to get them and demand far outweighing supply?

What exactly is it about a second run FD that makes it better than a regular FD? Or a Leo3, TL, TL3, Eagle-L, beaten in Teebird/Teebird3? Is there really something different/better, or is it more likely just a matter of not being able to get them and demand far outweighing supply?

Stiff + Hand Feel + Stability + Glide

2nd Runs have great stability but still have great glide. They are also going to have the same flight because they are all the same run where I could go to a store and find 3 teebirds that all feel different. 2nd Run FDs also last a long time due to the durability of the plastic. They are a freak of nature that created some of the best feeling most reliable discs to come from any company. I have never been able to find something that has the same feel and flight characteristics. Ive tried many fairway drivers but none come close to what the 2nd Run FDs can do.

When I first heard about them I thought it was all hype, but once I threw one I realized this Run of FDs is really that good. People dont want these just because they are hard to get, they want them because they have a great flight and great feel. Same reason people like old destroyers, old eagles, CE discs, etc. Certain runs have certain characteristics and different feels and those are desirable.

here is how i explain the 2nd run fd phenomena and a slice of innova collecting in general. the 2nd run is almost like a fd"3". like the innova 3 top treatment, not the fd3 mold from discmania, a lil flatter a lil faster a lil less glide. IMO its actually a FAF fd because they are very firm and very OS for the fd spectrum. FAF stands for flat and firm. This a term used from the innova factory and it got a lil misconstrued on these internets. i have runs of firebirds and teebirds like this and the same thing happens. they become collectors. they fly more OS, feel better forehand, have higher torque resistance and take forever to season. these molds are staples that ppl cycle so these bookend runs become must haves. now the 2nd run fd dropped and a similar thing happened. the fd was discmanias only fairway and simon kinda needed those 2nd runs. He talked about them ITBs and slowly the word spread. it took a cpl years before they were even known and i have even bought a cpl off these forums for 10$. most ppl were disappointed with 2nd runs because the fd is talked about as such a straight disc with mild turn and mild fade. this is not the case with a 2nd run, unless you throw your fairways 400. So its a must have for the serious fd thrower who bags a few of them and has a nice cycle going. or for legit pros like simon and eagle who unsurprisingly also want those 1st run pds. for me, i sold the two i had and found a combo of a 1st run fd2(OG) and a "early run" 3rd run(my fav fds!) so much better. so basically when you find a run you like stock up because they will be $$$ if the demand is there.a run of discs is a pretty small supply. Just my .02 dont flame me

Second run FDs were/are more stable than other runs.

However, that does not necessarily mean "better", which is in the eye of the bethrower. I prefer the less overstable runs of FDs myself.

Second run FDs were/are more stable than other runs.

I understand this. But so is a TL. Or lots of other things. I think I'm not asking what makes a 2R FD different from other FD's so much as what about it can't be replicated by several other Innova fairways that should be more stable than a regular FD to several varying degrees. I would think one of those discs would be pretty darn close to a 2R FD. TL even kinda looks the same and has also good glide...

I understand this. But so is a TL. Or lots of other things. I think I'm not asking what makes a 2R FD different from other FD's so much as what about it can't be replicated by several other Innova fairways that should be more stable than a regular FD to several varying degrees. I would think one of those discs would be pretty darn close to a 2R FD. TL even kinda looks the same and has also good glide...

Thanks for clarifying, and I understand. The only answer I have is that some people like the FD better than the others in this arena of discs. In other words, they'll reject a TL that flies exactly like a 2R FD simply because it's not an FD. And these same folks like the 2d run FDs on top of that. And if that is what makes DG fun for them, then so be it....

Sounds about right.

I've never thrown a 2R FD before. Do they fly about like a TL then? Or is there really some magic that no other disc has?

Sounds about right.

I've never thrown a 2R FD before. Do they fly about like a TL then? Or is there really some magic that no other disc has?

They are magic. They have tried to replicate them many many times but never gotten it right.

It's not a TL. It's actually more OS than even a TL3.

And of course disc selection isn't just about flights anyway. Handfeel is at least equally important.

When Simon throws a c-line FD he's throwing a second run. That should give some prospective as to the power they can handle.

My sister came to visit for the 4th, so I had her stop by GGGT before she headed this way to pick up an S-Line "prototype" FD2. It's an orange 172. Thing is absolute money for short forehands. Quite HSS but way less fade than a Firebird.

This disc interests me since I always have at least one FD in the bag. All I need is to become enamored with another disc that DM won't keep on the shelves.

Any more of an update for the fd2? I haven't heard much about them in a couple months or heard of anyone throwing them

I got one of the prototypes. It started out nice for shorter forehands. Then it got really straight and longer than what I wanted to use it for.

It was on discmania instagram. I dont have an instagram or i would link.

Haha, same. I found it with google. Not sure how I feel about the color glow plastic, but I'll probably pick one up to see how it compares to my mystery box S-line. It's stupid overstable so I kept my old C-line in the bag for now.

Color Glow C-line FD2 Leo Piironen signature in 2 weeks. 7 4 0 2

Looking to snag a few and hopefully do away with the 2nd run FD in my bag.

Is that realistic? Is the 2nd FD that stable?
The retooled FD2 i read is a more OS teebird...

Really curious since i love the Teebird bottom but find the fresh modern Teebirds too stable for the shots i use it (in the forest).
However i would argue the overstable Teebird makes a lot of sense, fills the eventuall gap in the line-up and to be honest, one FD and one OS Teebird is all you need up to 350'...