• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fight to break 100'

JBCHyzer

Bogey Member
Looking for any advice to how to break 100' both forehand and backhand from a standstill (and yes, I do know there are instructional videos on Youtube). Should I reach back more or less? Do you think wrist roll could be playing a factor?

Wrist roll is definitely something to avoid. For backhand make sure your grip is nose down, take a look through here: https://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

For forehand, this video made the easy flick motion apparent for me. Try this with a putter or midrange and just do little 50' or shorter flicks but cleanly. You'll be able to up the power as you keep a clean release and see where that gets you. From there you'll need some more leverage through your torso...but get that last 20% of the shot right, which is the clean snap. You don't necessarily have to do it like these guys do, their goals are different as they have to avoid defenders and the disc is different...but it showed me the possibility of how to snap a disc cleanly at low velocity, and to work my way up from there.

There is no way to sincerely answer that question. Yes, wrist roll is probably an issue. So are about 30 other things, each with entire 100 page threads on this forum.

If you're under 100 feet, stick to one disc, a putter, and work with that. Watch the videos, do the drills, rewatch the videos, practice, play, play with people, ask questions, give beers to people who give answers and never forget that it's a game and the point is to have fun.

Are you standing or sitting? I would guess throwing from a chair you would get more distance forehand? But I bet you can get both out there with some work.
A lot of velocity is generated from weight shift, not having that means you are relying more heavily on the rest of your form to make up some distance.
I'm sure some folks here can give you some good advice. If you can take a video of yourself throwing that will help a lot.

Do you have full range of motion in your arms, wrists and hands?

Prop your phone against something aiming it at the area you're throwing from. Hit record and go throw a few drives. Then upload it to youtube and post the link here.

If you're throwing from a wheelchair then it seems like you'd lose a lot of core power with your backhand and maybe not as much with the forehand. I'm not sure, but like someone else said, forehand seems like it may be a bit easier.

Last edited:
I went out on the course today, and tried a sitting forehand. My legs were straight out in front of me, so they were somewhat in my way, and after three throws (anny shanked the first two into the ground), my third was 110'. I've never tried this shot before, but I think it illustrates that someone with some work could pretty quickly outthrow the hundred foot range.

By the way, for no good reason whatsoever, my shoes are almost exactly 1 foot long, so when i paced it out heel-to-toe, that 110' measurement is pretty darn accurate (to within probably 2 feet).

The throw was also very slightly uphill, in 4mph crosswind (so probably had no effect on the shot), done with a 180g moderately beat-in Champion Roc3 thrown on a bit of an anhyzer line, which faded back to a decent flex. I'm a predominantly backhand thrower, but my forehand has better range in a restricted space... which I now know to be about 110'. :D

I wrote all this to say... I feel confident that you can get more distance from a sitting position. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, depending on how you look at it... I think the only way it's going to happen is practice.

I didn't try a sitting backhand, but may the next time I'm out.

Keep throwing. The distance will keep improving. :thmbup:

First up to be clear are you throwing from a wheelchair (like your profile pic suggests)? Do you have full range of motion in your core down to your hips? If you do you can generate a fair bit of power shifting weight from butt cheek to butt cheek. You won't be bombing 400' drives but I'd warrant you could get an good 250' with a lot of practice. If you don't have motion all the way to the hips you can still generate a lot of power from just the core/torso. If I get a chance I've a friend who coaches the GB wheelchair basketball squad I'll try and see if we can play around in those chairs and see what's possible.

The main trick though will be letting the disc do the work not trying to throw hard. The power comes from the disc pivoting quickly - Closed shoulder snap drill would work sitting just as well. (jump to 4 minutes for the drill) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LffYBb1vQjQ&t=59s

250' overall is my goal, and yes, I am throwing from a wheelchair, which unfortunately limits my hips' range of motion, so I finding myself strong-arming through a throw which I know is not ideal.

If your range of motion is limited, a disc that might help you get that distance is a Latitude 64 Diamond.
It's part of the easy to throw series and yes, they are easy to throw. Might be worth a look, just a wrist flick can get these things flying straight. They really stink in any kind of wind though.

If your range of motion is limited, a disc that might help you get that distance is a Latitude 64 Diamond.
It's part of the easy to throw series and yes, they are easy to throw. Might be worth a look, just a wrist flick can get these things flying straight. They really stink in any kind of wind though.

In which plastic? Are certain plastics better than others for a beginner?

Well, before I go plunking down yet more hard-earned cash on a golf disc (and who hasn't)don't you think the Leopard cover the same form slot (understable fairway)?

Well, Keller, the Leopard I've got is actually quite a bit heavier - about 165 grams in weight, same DX plastic.

Was just giving you an option.

I have yet to throw a Leopard, any leopard even beat in (and I had a seasoned 148gr dx that I used to use for little finesse shots) that was as flippy as a Diamond.

The nice thing about the Diamond is that a nice smooth slow throw, it just goes.