• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finally figured "it" out...

ya I surprised myself!! lol but a 172 star wraith and 175 star destroyer hit the fence, and a 175 champ wraith was the one that skipped into it. I was amazed that I got it that far! hah also was thrown with a 360 throw.. which I hadn't messed around with much until this week haha but it was awesome!

ya I surprised myself!! lol but a 172 star wraith and 175 star destroyer hit the fence, and a 175 champ wraith was the one that skipped into it. I was amazed that I got it that far! hah also was thrown with a 360 throw.. which I hadn't messed around with much until this week haha but it was awesome!

Ahhh, if only I'd found and picked up this game 20 or more years ago...:D

Ahhh, if only I'd found and picked up this game 20 or more years ago...

You and me both. The great thing about disc golf though is you can enjoy playing it for years and years, even if you're not hucking 500'

Ahhh, if only I'd found and picked up this game 20 or more years ago...:D

Amen to that :D BUT... thru reading this forum and applying the info into my practice sessions.... I'm making the guys that I throw with pretty frustrated.
The best part about that... they ARE 20 or more years younger :D

I set up targets 250 feet apart in my back lot. 10 discs, RHBH down and RHFH back. My intention was to work on control and accuracy by improving my form.
Working on weight transfer and throwing low and thru the plane is getting great results. On the course I'm enjoying the increase of distance that goes with it.

Amen to that :D BUT... thru reading this forum and applying the info into my practice sessions.... I'm making the guys that I throw with pretty frustrated.
The best part about that... they ARE 20 or more years younger :D

It's such a great feeling on those tight tunnel shots when all your friends hit trees not even halfway down the fairway and you throw a laser that lands softly 5 feet from the basket.

Hey guys, I'm really glad this thread is helping some other people as well!

So I've found three "core" aspects of my drive that, if I remember them, make my form fall into place:

1. With my first step I step out and turn my left foot perpendicular to the target. When I get lazy or lose focus and don't do this my footwork gets off and I tend to spin out.

2. The "delayed" upper body turn/reachback that started this thread.

3. Keeping my upper body as straight as possible with no hunch/slouch, allowing my spin and follow-through to transfer the maximum amount of momentum and snap to the disc that I can currently generate.

When I do these three things...boom. If my drives start to break down it's always one of these things, and reminding myself before my next drive instantly corrects the problem. The long checklist I had made for driving form is gone, because if I do these three things then everything else happens completely naturally without my having to think about it.

I hope that with enough repetition and practice this summer muscle memory will begin to take over and I won't have to make these corrections.

I will admit to a bit of pride getting to this point, and throwing putters, midranges or fairways on shots where others I'm playing with are throwing distance drivers... but then later I watch video of McBeth, Feldberg, Schusterick, eMac and Locastro and give myself the ol' ego-check and remind myself I still have a lot of work to do :)

1. With my first step I step out and turn my left foot perpendicular to the target. When I get lazy or lose focus and don't do this my footwork gets off and I tend to spin out.

Could you clarify by what you mean by 'first step'? Is this the step where you place your left leg behind the right in the x-step, or before that?

Could you clarify by what you mean by 'first step'? Is this the step where you place your left leg behind the right in the x-step, or before that?

Before that, this is my absolute very first step. I start with both feet parallel and my entire body directly facing the target, then the first step is my left foot out and slightly to the left, and it plants at 90 degrees perpendicular to the target.

When the wind dies down in a couple days I will be taking some videos of myself and posting them in the form analysis/critique section... I'm sure that will help knock my ego down another peg or two as well :)

I want to give a big thank you to Newbie for stating this thread and Sidewinder for all his help and comments in helping disc golfers get better.

Between this thread and Sidewinder's door frame drills I've had a break through. Earlier in the week after reading this thread I practiced what I thought would help. Delayed turning and other things. Nothing was really clicking to help me improve. I revisited this thread and watched and did Sidewinder's door frame drills.

I played 2 round Saturday but I had not had any time to put what I thought I'd learned from the door frame videos into practice and trying as I played doesn't work. After my first round I was able to do some field work waiting on a friend. After a few throws.

Lasers. Every. Single. Throw.

It was kind of amazing. I wasn't getting a ton of extra distance. Still 300-350 but it was effortless and I was hardly pulling with my arm at all. On the next round I was up and down but I had a number of holes that are very skinny fairways and I birdied 3 of them which I don't do often.

I can't wait to put more of this into action.

My big change was I was turning at the same time I was shifting my weight instead of shifting and then turning. My old way it was impossible to get my timing for my hips and torso into the throw. It was all arm and wrist. Now I feel very confident that a big jump in my game is right around the corner.

This helped me today. I have always reached back and turned my hips "in one piece" to use an old term from ball golf. Delaying the reach until after the hip turn/weight shift and slowly getting my buttocks facing the target seems to be putting me into a better throwing position and leads to less rounding and less pressure on arm. Thanks all

This helped me today. I have always reached back and turned my hips "in one piece" to use an old term from ball golf. Delaying the reach until after the hip turn/weight shift and slowly getting my buttocks facing the target seems to be putting me into a better throwing position and leads to less rounding and less pressure on arm. Thanks all

Yeah, I think this little revelation has been a big key for several of us, glad it helped you, too.

I'm surprised that I don't ever recall it being explained this way though, either here or over on the discgolfreview forum... it seems like such a simple, plain-english way to describe the action and the way the "windup" of the core is built up...

Happy throwing!

The concept has been discussed endless times really. Its a matter of timing which cannot be truly taught and it goes with everyones style to an extent. Mechanics can only help you execute what is trying to be accomplished. If you are looking for the "way to throw" well, there isn't one.

We tried(outside of this thread I think you would find that info).. sorry the English wasn't clear? :p

Newbie, my drive has been 4 steps for a while now and it's exactly how you describe. If I try to add less or more it doesn't work as well (except for a stand still throw).

I stand facing the target. I take a very small step with my left foot. Like 7-8 inches small. I then step with my right foot perpendicular to the target. As I begin my X-step this is where I turn my hips so my right butt cheek is facing the target. My upper body is still inline for the most part. Right before the ball of my foot touches the ground on my plant foot I'm turning back.

Then without turning my upper body I push off my inner inside of my left foot as I'm planting my heel. My upper body is straight and my whole torso moves forward without turning as I shift my weight. It's like I've grabbed a big rope and I'm pulling something heavy. Be careful not to bend your torso forward. It's not a weight shift up as much as it's a balanced weight shift forward. I imagine my whole spine staying erect and moving forward.

After, let me repeat, AFTER my heel planted that's when I turn, the pull and explode.

With the butt check forward it keeps my knees slightly bend and my balance back and centered so that when I do turn and pull I'm braced. Try doing it at a stand still too. That helps.

Another thing I did that's helping is I changed up the timing on my pre-motion swing. I used to point with my disc through the X-step and as my plant leg started forward my arm started backwards. Now, I point in conjunction with my first small step. This helped line up my timing for when I turn back and to not pull until my heel hits.

The concept has been discussed endless times really. Its a matter of timing which cannot be truly taught and it goes with everyones style to an extent. Mechanics can only help you execute what is trying to be accomplished. If you are looking for the "way to throw" well, there isn't one.

We tried(outside of this thread I think you would find that info).. sorry the English wasn't clear? :p

Please don't take my comments as criticism to the many players and forum posters who have spent a lot of time attempting to explain things. Believe me, I greatly appreciate what they have done and continue to do.

It's just that so often the posts seem to be written from a level of biomechanical understanding that I, as a 40-something lifelong non-athlete, just can't effectively translate or make sense of in relation to my own body movement.

That's a big reason why Sidewinder's photo breakdowns and youtube videos have been so helpful, they make it easier to either visualize or feel what is supposed to be taking place.

The missing piece, though, was still putting it all together: the timing of everything. I have read all the forum posts and watched as many instructional videos on driving that I can find and I've never seen or heard it described simply as "don't turn your lower body and upper body at the same time, let the lower body turn first and resist the urge to turn the upper body and reach back until you absolutely have to."

Of course to others that might be just as ambiguous as terms like "weight shift", "closed hips", etc. are or have been to me, but from the responses on this thread this type of description seems to have helped at least a few people. Kind of like "Disc Golf Driving for Dummies" or "Disc Golf Driving for Non-Athletes", I guess, lol...

As others have pointed out, similar discussions have been on these forums for some time.

However, it sometimes takes a different perspective or different terminology for it to "click" with someone.

I think this is case here. When I read the OP, the line

"resist turning the lower body during the run-up/x-step until you absolutely have to"

really resonated. I tried it next time out, along with slowing down the whole approach. It really did feel different to me! More snap, and better overall throws.

I have read very similar things in the past, here and other places. I have watched countless videos. But until i read the line above, I didn't GROK it.

Thanks. :clap:

Also, I have tried a modified approach in the past with some decent results. Stand with your back to the target. Take one step toward the target with your plant foot. Turn and throw. I think it could be a great alternative to the X-Step when footing is bad or just to get the timing "right".

Ok, put together a quick graphic that visualizes what I'm describing using screen-shots of the video that BirdieMachine posted earlier in this thread. Tried to represent the upper and lower body with the different colored boxes, someone tell me if this makes sense (or not...)

Uploading it as an attachment kind of butchered it, so I'll just link to it on one of my web sites instead:

DiscGolfAhHaMoment-JPEGFull.jpg

Last edited:
I'll also point out that in that photo-break-down you can tell he's on his toes. Everybody gets there via different paths, but for me it was emulating an x-step where I don't let my heals touch the ground until the plant foot. That connected with me driving more with my hips - pulling lower - and being in the right places at the right time.