• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finally figured "it" out...

Something that I just found out after 2.5 years of playing. I should be gripping at 12 oclock when the disc is at my chest backhand.... I have been gripping at 3 oclock forever. This has totally changed the amount of spin that I can put on the disc and now I can throw more stable discs than before. I expect a huge increase in distance over the next month between that grip, slowing my approach, and raising my throw from my navel up to my nips.

i'm not super tall, i'm 6'2", but this is part of why i started doing a small "hop" 90% of the time instead of a run-up. if the tee is level with the ground, it's just a bonus to me if i really need it. we don't have a lot of huge teepads around here.

Ya, I was pretty much forced to slow down my runup and go from 4 steps to 3. That in turn helped improve my form, so it worked out pretty well. However, at 6'3", even a slow 3 step runup still pushes my limits on some teepads.

Just got back on the course recently after a very slow winter (mostly due to snow and cold weather). Anyway...probably have about 5 rounds under my belt and was practicing at a short 12 hole course near my home the other day when I think it clicked.

It was kind of serendipitous in that I was simply working on shortening up a little on my reach-back for my 100-150 ft shot when I just let one rip...laser beam! I decided to use that same technique on the next tee and again...laser-beam long and straight. Over the next couple holes I found that i was able to get a lot more distance and control by simply keeping the swing thought of "shortening up". It was like I was a completely different player.

It is driving me crazy though because this was on Monday and I haven't touched a disc since. I think I will be able to replicate this again, but I'm afraid i'm going to lose it before I play again on Friday.

I've only been playing for about 1.5 years and i've had other breakthroughs that I thought would change everything only to have them come and go. I hope this is really it. Will report back after my next round.

I finally had my "it clicked" moment today after endless field work. My buddy suggested slowing down my footwork and really just focusing on arm speed/hip &torso rotation. I have never seen a disc come out of my hand so fast out of hand it took me by surprise. After two holes I was able to dial it in with my accuracy and am so happy! Can't wait to get another round in tomorrow!

Yeah, it can be super frustrating. I finally had my "aha" moment again last night doing field work. Even after you "get it" sometimes you fall off, especially after the winter. the big moment for me was simply starting with my hips closed. It almost feels like I'm pointing my right hip slightly left of target so my follow through would release the disc straight at it, getting a proper rip.

Glad to see this thread is still kicking around and that others are finding and sharing their breakthroughs as well! I've had a couple setbacks but have been able to pull myself through them, it gets easier every time.

I had a private lesson with JohnE McCray last week and it was amazing...great guy and great teacher as well...gave me a lot of tips as well as some really useful practice drills. I played like total cr@p during our round because I was trying to take everything in, but since then I've been able to incorporate a lot of the ideas and form changes and really bumped up my driving consistency and accuracy. Distance is still maxing at about 430' but I'm confident that I should meet my 450' goal this summer.

Highly recommended if you get the chance!

I too have had some set backs but I went to a Deep in the Game clinic with Avery Jenkins and Simon Lizotte. It lasted almost 4 hours and was fantastic. A lot of instruction and hands on teaching with both of them. I found a couple of huge flaws in my form that I'm fixing now.

I'm getting much, much more consistent distance 320-330 and am still maxing out at 370 but I can feel of lot more things and can see what I need to practice and get the timing right on to get more distance.

Pulling my off hand in close to my body instead of letting it hang out to slow me down.
Throwing fast and quick, not hard. (this x1000000000)
Keeping my disc on the line and my follow through on the line.
Being more face up on release.
Setting a release point and trying to hit it.
Weight forward.
One smooth motion.

Pulling my off hand in close to my body instead of letting it hang out to slow me down.

I've asked about what to do with the off hand and most folks said they didn't even think about it. But it totally makes sense - ice skaters bring their arms in to spin faster. And for the engineers out there - it reduces the moment of inertia.

Can you further explain :
Being more face up on release.
Setting a release point and trying to hit it.

I've asked about what to do with the off hand and most folks said they didn't even think about it. But it totally makes sense - ice skaters bring their arms in to spin faster. And for the engineers out there - it reduces the moment of inertia.

Can you further explain :

Simon Lizotte said pulling that off arm in is key to distance. Avery gave that exact analogy of a figure skater spinning faster. Look at almost every pro. All of them pull that off arm in on the rotation.

Setting a release point. Choose the spot in the air in front of you where you want to release the disc. Focus on releasing the disc there.

When you release the disc your body should be more facing the basket, not still sideways with you shoulder pointing at the basket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4kU7cwgnLA&index=33&list=PLJJDE9e6XfTyQpcmgk1bACd4rq_FsH6gv

Pause it at 2:11. Look faceup (facing forward) he is at the basket. Right after release his chest is completely facing the target.

Great thread, I've definitely seen improvement in my backhand since I started reading through. I remember one post about having your leading foot lead with the heel while moving into the pivot, and it is amazing how much further and more accurate I'm throwing a month later!

There's still work to do with keeping my shoulders back and really accelerating through the hit, but I've jumped from 300-320' to 350-400'+ here in the thin air of Colorado. Maybe I'll finally throw a video up here and try and up my goal to 450'!

When you release the disc your body should be more facing the basket, not still sideways with you shoulder pointing at the basket.

Well, that would seem to be a point of contention. Some are advocating for keeping the shoulder more closed to the basket. On the other hand, Lizotte is obviously a good thrower...

Well, that would seem to be a point of contention. Some are advocating for keeping the shoulder more closed to the basket. On the other hand, Lizotte is obviously a good thrower...

Look at any video of any pro. It's not really a point of contention.

bfowler,

your conversational wit comes across as a bit of O.A.T.. You might want to work at a smoother release, hm?

It might be the case - you never know without asking - that I have actually looked at many a video of pro's throwing. And I would not say they are uniform in throwing technique.

It might be the case that other respondents in this thread have brought up this point of contention, as I called it. Like post #95:

Originally Posted by bfowler View Post
Ok, update.

Between all this stuff I've been throwing 330 like clockwork. And I'm just threw back to back shots out to 355 and 360. For some reason on my really long throws I'll yank them way right. Probably about 50-60 feet to the right of my target.

This thread has been so awesome I thought I'd ask here. Any tips?

Reply by Star Shark:
I have this same problem. You're forgetting the pause in the shoulder turn. You turn from your reachback until your shoulders are on line with your intended flight path. Stop them there until after release when your arm swing will force the rest of the shoulder turn.

There are also the numerous threads on closed shoulder drills, like this one:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102614&highlight=closed+shoulder+drill

That's why i thought the idea of having the shoulders open to the target was contentious. not saying it is wrong, only that it seems to be at variance with what others are recommending.

I think your chest has to be open at release, if you're doing it right. The hips propel the upper body/ shoulders forward which whips the lower arm.

On a personal level the timing is back and hot! I've lost my runup timing though. But I couldn't care less at this point. My timing feels perfect from a standstill and I feel allot more accurate even if I'm losing a little. Threw a star roadrunner 380 from a standstill on Sunday, and then again with a striker and escape.

Feels like the weight shift and speed is off when I add the runup. So maybe I'll just keep rolling with the standstill. Its easier to focus on throwing correctly when I'm slow.